Frequently asked questions - Writer
From The Document Foundation Wiki
- How do I insert a dummy text in Writer?
- How do I correct an hyperlink? (if I click the text, the link is active)
- How do I modify the link of an external picture?
- How do I move a paragraph using the keyboard?
- How do I do a multiple selection of text?
- How do I select a whole line?
- How do I select several pictures?
- How do I select an object in the background?
- ▸ doesn’t work when the document start with a table
- How do I insert a special character?
- How do I insert the trademark symbol?
- How do I insert a sound file or a video in a text?
- How do I insert a non-breaking hyphen when the process indicated in the help doesn’t seem to work?
- How do I insert a variable to enter information in the document?
- How do I insert a user field to enter information in the document?
- How do I add an accent on a capital char?
- How to rotate a picture?
- How do I draw a contiguous legend?
Search & Replace
- Why does the Edit menu contain two search tools?
- How do I eliminate the numerous line breaks that appear in my text once I have pasted it in my document (for example a text from an email)?
- What are the codes used to Search & Replace using regular expressions?
- How do I find special characters inside a document?
- How do I insert a landscape formatted page in a document where other pages are portrait formatted?
- How do I delete the pages that seem empty?
- How do I add a logo at the top of all the pages of my document?
- How do I create a header only on the first page of my document?
- How do I insert the current date on the footer of my document?
- How do I automatically update the headers and footers of my document when I modify a template?
- How to enlarge the area reserved to footer notes?
- How do I make the text continue from one area to another?
- How do I create an hanging indent in my document?
- How do I vertically center text in a page?
- How to reproduce the layout with a tool similar to the MS Word one?
- How do I write the first letters of a word with capitals and the rest of the word in lower case?
- How do I revert the character formatting to the default while entering text?
- How do I format just part of a page with columns?
- How to format URLs (Uniform Resource Locators : http://...) in the same way as the rest of the document
- How do I modify the style/format of a title?
- How to make a series of indivisible characters?
- How to adapt the presentation of the text depending on the outline?
- How to create and insert watermarked text?
Opening / Saving / Import / Export
- Is it possible to open WordPro (.lwp) documents into Writer?
- How to use the export feature (.txt) with Media Wiki syntax?
- How to remove the Read only attribute?
- What is a hybrid PDF file
Auto-correction / Auto-format
- These automatics annoy me!
- How to stop automatic word completion while entering text
- How to remove the double black line generated while entering several #
- When I enter text in lower case, LibreOffice changes the first letter to a capital.
- When I use asterisks [asterisk = * ], LibreOffice removes them and replaces them by bold text.
- When I click in a table or in text containing bullets, a toolbar appears and is annoying me.
- How to force URL detection in URLs pasted from the Web
- How to create a permanent list of automatic insertions
Index / Table of Contents / Alphabetical Index / Bibliography
- How do I insert a table of contents into my document?
- How do I update a table of contents?
- How do I add an alphabetical index to my document?
- How do I take the new occurrences into account in an alphabetical index?
- How do I add a reference/bibliography table to the list of my citations?
- How do I add an Appendix Table in addition to main Table of Contents?
- How do I make the page numbers in the table of contents match those in the body of the document?
- Why do the titles of the chapters not appear in the table of contents or the Navigator while I use
- How do I display a table of contents where the levels of title display only their own numbering and not the one from the higher level?
- How do I make a clickable table of contents?
- How do I suppress page numbers in the table of contents?
- How do I get Roman numerals in the table of contents?
- How do I remove numbering for « Introduction » and « Conclusion » titles while they still appear in the table of contents?
- What must I do to make some titles (« Introduction », « Conclusion », « Resume ») appear in the table without the page number?
- How do I remove the table of contents title?
- How do I make the title of the table of contents look like the Header1 titles?
- How do I insert lines into the table of contents?
- How do I suppress a line break inserted before a table of contents (at the beginning of a document or a section)?
- How to insert a page number having the form of "Page 1 of N"
- How to make the page numbering begin at the second page of the document
- How to begin the page numbering of a document at a value greater than 1
- How to make the page numbering of the table of content match the page numbering in the document
- My document begins with a title page and a home page. How do I make the total number of pages match only the written pages?
- How to have page numbers in Roman numerals in the table of contents
- How to merge two tables
- How to repeat a table header line on all the pages of a document where the table appears
- How to create a table in a Writer document
- How to create a table that is not followed by a paragraph
- How to add/delete a column without changing the size of the other columns
- How to update tables based on a DDE link
- How to copy and past a formula without the result
- How to print bar codes
- My printer driver doesn't allow me to print several pages per sheet. How can I do it with Writer?
- When I print envelopes with a mail merge, I have an "envelope" page and a blank page. How do I remove the blank page?
- How to avoid printing some objects
Labels / Mailing
- How to create labels with LibreOffice
- How to use a Calc file as a data source for a mailing list
- When I print envelopes with a mail merge, I have a page "envelope" and a blank page. How do I remove the blank page?
- How to send a bulk mailing by e-mail
- Details on conditional fields in mailings
- How to center vertically and horizontally label fields in their frame
- How to restore the display of the field name
- How to customize each document in a mail merge
- Why are some records ignored?
- How to create a diagram, a graphic?
- How to integrate a chart from a spreadsheet?
- How to integrate a chart linked to a spreadsheet?
- How to enable revision marks (underlined with color) in LibreOffice
- How to compare two versions of a document
- How do I protect (block) part of my document so that it can not be modified?
- How to count the number of words in a document
- How do I display my pages as thumbnails when I write a document?
- How can I add the Paste Special option to the right-click contextual menu?
- How to use an AutoText whose shortcut contains a dot (.)
- How to use the fields under the Private tab of the Business Cards dialog box in ▸ ▸
- ▸ doesn’t work when the document begins with a table
- How to attach a shortcut to a special character
- I’m on Linux, and my default page size doesn’t follow my locale setting. Why?