- This page focuses on the LibreOffice suite running on Android. If you're a developer, you'll find more in-depth information about this process in: Development/BuildingForAndroid
We're currently developing two products on the Android platform:
- The LibreOffice suite, currently provided as LibreOffice Viewer for Android [BETA] (DOWNLOADS)
- The LibreOffice Impress Remote for Android
Trying it out
LibreOffice support on Android is in BETA, and is a work in progress. We're looking for people who are interested in trying out tools that might still have a few rough edges.
Running LibreOffice for Android requires
- Android 5.0 or higher
- 18MB APK download
- Free space for app installation
System Requirements Testing
|App installed||145 MB|
|USB storage app||0 MB|
|USB storage data||0 MB|
As a beta product, we're looking forward to working through bug reports as they come in.
Bug Report: Basics
- If you find a bug in the Android Viewer, please report it using this link
- Only one bug per report, please!
Please follow the guidelines described at QA/BugReport to make it easy for us to reproduce your problem and get it to the developers as quickly as possible.
Bug Report: Advanced
Including your version number helps immensely. Trying to copy version #'s from Android, or use a browser in Android is painful, at least on my phone, so if you're using a daily build, here's how to get full version info:
- Find the build_info file alongside your daily build, e.g.
- Grab the version/build date/sha1 info from the top of this text file:
tinderbox: buildname: Android-ARM@24-Bytemark-Hosting tinderbox: tree: MASTER tinderbox: pull time 2015-01-22 01:45:51 tinderbox: git sha1s core:9ea6793a5b765aefc1a8e82c06f225305dd9c14f
Some problems have already been reported to us:
- The first bug about LibreOffice + Android: tdf#60862 - Provide builds of LibreOffice for the Android platform.
For production use
- Coming soon!
Beta builds are ready for testing!
On December 10 of 2019, Collabora announced a new beta for compelete overhaul of the LibreOffice for Android experience. While the user interface is based on the old code, the editor is based on the online LibreOffice editor. Builds are currently available in the Google Play Store.
As of 2020-01-05, the new version (with UI based on LibreOffice Online) is not available from F-Droid as its most recent build is from 2018-07-02. As building LibreOffice for Android in the F-Droid build server is non-trivial, future updates are unlikely until new volunteers step up to do it.
Daily builds for testing are available in the same directory as daily builds for other platforms:
(Note: this builds off of the master branch, which may be up to a week behind tiled-editing):
To use a daily build on Android 5 (instructions may be slightly different for other Android versions):
- Navigate to the URL above in the browser on your Android device
- Click the link, and download the APK to your Downloads/ directory
- Find the download in your Download history, or via a file browser, and click to install
- You might be prevented from installing an APK downloaded from the Internet. Make sure that you have enabled Settings -> Security -> Device administration -> Unknown sources -> (enabled)
- Click through the install screens to install the LibreOffice Viewer
- The Viewer will now be available for use
Note: It's possible to install more than one version of the Viewer at the same time. All builds use the same icon image, and have the same name, so the About page will tell you what version (via build SHA-1) you are currently running (hopefully soon we'll have the build date included as well: tdf#90556).