- 1 Improving the QA and Release for 3.5
- 2 Try to get more testers doing the testing earlier
- 3 Page with info for bug-hunting session
Improving the QA and Release for 3.5
At the LibreOffice conference in Paris, there were presentations and discussions on QA - of course.
There was one focus on Improving QA-Release for LibreOffice 3.5.
Full the presentation here.
And for convenience, a part is posted File:Liboconf2011 improving qa release cycle-cornouws Slides19-28.pdf,
Conclusions for actions
The slide (#28) with conclusions reads:
1. Try to get more testers doing the testing earlier ?
- Yes !
2. A 'quiet period' , pre-official freeze on master ?
- Make sure masterbuild is good week before beta !
3. Two weeks time frame after first beta and first RC ?
- No evidence for that now !
- But track data from Bugzilla and from Devs
4. Try faster fixing of issues in master ?
- Yes !
So now (2011-11-11), just 4 weeks from the freeze, it becomes increasingly interesting to do something with the outcome ..
Who, what, remarks ..
- Try to get more testers doing the testing earlier
- When a beta is announced, many people jump in to test. Now it would be great if we could attract (part of) that group to start working with the developer builds asap after feature freeze! (See the arrows #1 on slide 23)
- Cor Nouws will look at this, of course in contact with other QA stars
- A 'quiet period' , pre-official freeze on master
- Two weeks time frame after first beta and first RC
- Try faster fixing of issues in master
Try to get more testers doing the testing earlier
- Bug-hunting session with beta1
- Bug-hunting session with RC1
- Bug-finding competition somewhere in between
Beta1 is about to be released around the 10th of December.
In a day or two after the release, it must be possible to judge if this beta is fine to get a wider audience involved in testing.
So we could do the session with beta1, but also with beta2
- Either to be done on beta1 (so December 16 and 17) or on beta2 (so maybe December 28 and 29 -Wednesday and Thursday)
- inform l10n teams asap
- mail to discuss & users
- prepare website button to point people to relevant information on wiki page
- Banner proposal (png ) Cloph 2011-12-18T18:35:10 (CET)
- prepare the wiki page with relevant information
- inform about the need to increase the amount of test cases, which can be done partly in parallel with this testing
- Session itself
- people available on irc for guidance
Bug-finding competition ?
Somewhere in between the two sessions Ideas:
- a two day's bug-finding competition:
- Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 January
- a prize for the three people that post most bug-weight in those two day's
- bug weight: points/issue:
- 1 for normal, 1,5 for major, 2,5 for every blocker issue
- severity needs to be confirmed by QA specialists (in e.g. max two weeks)
- prizes are e.g. sweater and mug.
- QA specialists cannot win a prize (they should just get the sweater and mug without that)
- Enough people available for the triage of the submitted bugs?
2nd Bug-hunting session :: Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 January
- with the first RC, two day's organised bug-hunting
- will be Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 January
- website buttons to point people to relevant information on wiki page
Page with info for bug-hunting session
Can be found here.