From The Document Foundation Wiki
- Do not use he as a generic pronoun; use it only to refer to men and boys.
- Do not use she as a generic pronoun; use it only to refer to women and girls.
- You can use they as a singular pronoun, but it is best to reword the sentence. Although major style guides now accept this usage, some people still regard it as incorrect.
- Avoid phrases such as he or she and he/she or made-up words like s/he.
- Do not use a feminized noun (like manageress) when the normal noun (manager) covers both sexes.