Danishka Navin is based in Sri Lanka and is a Systems Engineer by profession and he do public speaking, community building/development and conducting awareness of Free and Open Source Software.
In 2009 he found the Hanthana Linux Project, a Fedora remix. It has been deployed in several government schools locally and download more than 15,000 copies globally. The Hanthana Linux Project let local community to contribute back to global FOSS movement under Hanthana Linux Project. Several school students, teachers, university students and other users started contributing by spreading word, finding bugs, compiling documentation. Some of them have been filled bugs/issues against the upstream project (such as Fedora, LibreOffice, etc) after knowing the proper bug filling mechanism.
In addition to Fedora, Danishka is working on several FOSS communities such as Mozilla, Fedora, Gnome, KDE and well known OLPC project. Moreover he is working on deploying school ICT labs in financially deprecated schools, under Hanthana School Labs Project.
- Blog: danishkanavin.blogspot.com
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/danishkanavin
- Twitter: @danishkanavin
- Flickr: Danishka Navin
- FaceBook: Danishka Navin
Member of The Document Foundation since the very beginning and contribute as the Sri Lankan Community Lead, Localizer and a LibreOffice Pootle admin. He was in the OpenOffice.org community and worked as an active contributor before staring the Document Foundation.
Other FOSS Contributions
- Mozilla: Community Lead, Mentor
- Sugar/OLPC: System Administrator, Localizer
- Fedora: Packaging Sugar Activities, Ambassador, Fedora Sinhala Language Coordinator
- KDE: Coordinator KDE Sinhala Localization Project
- Gnome: Gnome Translation Project (GTP) Coordinator
- Debian: Localized Debain Installer
- Live interview on Channel Eye (National English TV Channel) under Rise N Shine morning show
- Hanthana Linux release on SirasaTV news on 20th September 2009
News Paper Articles
- 'Open source opening doors to IT' - Sunday Times
- 'Reconstructing Sri Lanka’s education system with ‘Hanthana’' - DailyFT article
- Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) - RHEL6
- Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator (RHCSA) - RHEL6