Design proposal of a new UX for LibreOffice by Michel Renon.
Please note that I suppose that the Sidebar (developed by IBM for Lotus Symphony) is already included.
You can see it in Apache OpenOffice 4 : File:OpenOffice 4.0-pre Writer.png
The variation of the first solution is detailed here :
One important idea is to handle multiple selection : ex of use case :
- user search "all images" in search panel (with a popup 'type')
- he selects all of them with a single checkbox
- in the content view, he can see them selected (with zooming, scrolling)
- then, in the sidebar, he can change the anchor property for all images in one click
My idea is to provide :
- maximum consistency : use the same tools/widgets to modify content or styles
- avoid modal dialog
- preview of styles in current document
TBD : how can we handle undoing style changes ?
- add a "cancel" button in the infobar ? (the infobar then behaves just like a modal dialog)
- just let the user select "Undo" from "Edit" menu ?