From The Document Foundation Wiki
- As a result, you will have a pixellized version of the redacted document in PDF. There will be no selectable text in it, and the redacted content will be non-existent.
- During redaction, the redaction shapes will be transparent and in grey so that the user can see what they are redacting.
- There are currently 4 tools on the Redaction toolbar (from left to right): Rectangle Redaction, Freeform Redaction, Redacted Export, Direct Export to PDF
- The Rectangle Redaction tool allows the user to mark the content for redaction by drawing transparent rectangles covering the content
- The Freeform Redaction tool allows the user to mark the content for redaction by drawing freeform lines/polygons covering the content
- The “Redacted Export” button box has two options: “Redacted Export (Black)” and “Redacted Export (White).” When clicked, it will finalize your document (by converting the transparent grey redaction shapes to opaque black or white shapes), and export as a pixellized PDF file. The “White” option might be preferred to save toner while printing.
- The Direct Export to PDF button allows the user to take an in-redaction copy of the document in PDF to share as a verbatim copy for review