From The Document Foundation Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
  • Date/Time: 2012-05-26, 1600 UTC (the time below is 2 hours ahead of UTC)
  • Location: IRC, channel #libreoffice-design



18:08:00 astron247: hi...
18:08:05 alexander: hi
18:08:33 astron247: okay, shall we start then?
18:09:20 alexander: astron: I think so
18:09:42 astron247: okay, so mirek helpfully set the topics...
18:09:54 alexander: Some of them
18:10:01 alexander: Do you want to start with the progress on the Gnome icons?
18:10:03 astron247: yeah... some
18:10:08astron247: okay, as to that...
18:10:23 astron247: i honestly didn't do so much till now.
18:10:55 astron247: im currently prepping something but i havent coordinated with lapo at all
18:11:02 astron247: sorry
18:11:02 alexander: ah, ok
18:11:23 alexander: Do you think they could still make it into 3.6?
18:11:26 astron247: yes.
18:11:30 alexander: good
18:11:37 astron247: since, we dont even have a bety out yet
18:11:41 astron247: -y+a
18:12:04 astron247: ... it should be possible, if lapo etc stay cooperative
18:12:04 alexander: alright
18:12:30 alexander: He seemed to be pretty positive about it
18:12:43 astron247: but ... well have to see how much it looks like "one theme" instead of three themes (industrial + tango old +tango new)
18:13:23 astron247: right, but the problem i have is that we never hear back from jakub (who seems to do about half the work)
18:13:27 alexander: I think tango old and new mix quite well and we'd have some inconsistency anyways
18:13:39 astron247: and then we'll also have to contact hylke and andreas
18:14:01 alexander: Jakub Steiner?
18:14:04 astron247: yes
18:14:18 astron247: rather: ill have to contact them
18:14:24 alexander: ok
18:15:01 alexander: He's on G+, maybe I could poke him, too?
18:15:21 astron247: hm okay. lets try later.
18:15:28 alexander: yes
18:15:37 alexander: Tentative Designs?
18:15:50 astron247: at the end of the chat session ill send you a zip of the icons so far
18:16:09 alexander: old tango or new ones?
18:16:17 astron247: new ones only
18:16:21 alexander: cool
18:16:48 astron247: if youve got a nightly build you can stick them in pretty easily, ill tell later (need to announce on the list, too, because it makes making themes much easier
18:16:49 astron247: )
18:17:50 astron247: okay... tentative designs, it is
18:18:58 astron247: android remote?
18:19:09 alexander: Sure
18:19:34 alexander: We should get in contact with the GSoC students
18:19:55 astron247: is mirek doing that or are you?
18:20:39 alexander: I used Mireks design as a basis for the tentative design and he worked on it afterwards
18:21:32 astron247: i meant getting in contact?
18:21:39 alexander: We'd need to know how many connections will be stored, anything else is clear, I think
18:21:47 alexander: ah, sry
18:22:32 alexander: AFAIK Mirek talked to him at the beginning, but I can't find his email address
18:23:10 alexander: Maybe it's easier if I simply mail the mentor
18:23:28astron247: the intern is andrzej, right?
18:23:39 alexander: I think so
18:24:41 astron247: gmail tells me its [redacted]
18:25:37 astron247: yup
18:26:39 alexander: Ah, just browsed my mail  and apparently Mirek mailed him yesterday
18:26:46 astron247: ok cool
18:28:20 astron247: one thing i wondered was: can you only connect from the phone or can you also initiate the connexion with the pc?
18:28:53 alexander: hm
18:30:07 alexander: You need to start Impress anyways, right? What about that 'server' that probably listens to signals over BT WLAN
18:30:51 astron247: youll need to start impress so far in understand ...
18:30:53 alexander: Is that automatically running if one starts Impress?
18:31:00 astron247: can you explain the rest?
18:31:24 astron247: yes, the thing that initiates the connexion should be there always
18:31:35 astron247: only sometimes bt/wifi will be turned off
18:31:46 astron247: (on a hardware level)
18:32:45 alexander: So as the next step one would select a mobile device thats reachable via WLAN/ BT on the desktop and enter the PIN that has been generated on the phone
18:33:27 alexander: I think it would makes things even more complicated if it also worked the other way around ... somehow
18:33:33 astron247: ah okay, i thought that part happened inside libo – the way you described makes more sense of course
18:34:13 astron247: oh wait ... by "on the desktop" did you mean within libo?
18:34:30 alexander: Yes
18:35:02 alexander: That doesn't mean that a connection has been established, though
18:36:49 alexander: Are there still issues regarding that behaviour?
18:36:58 astron247: okay... can walk me through making a connection step by step..? (sorry for being so dumb)
18:37:23 alexander: I hope I understood it correctly
18:37:55 alexander: 1) You start LibreOffice Impress on the desktop and have a phone with active WLAN or BT
18:38:47 alexander: 2) Within Impress one can open a dialogue listing all devices that are available via BT, WLAN
18:39:26 alexander: (I think so at least. Maybe only ophones that a re broadcasting 'I'm an impress remote')
18:39:38 alexander: -o +are
18:40:08 alexander: 3) You generate a random PIN on your phone and enter it on the desktop
18:40:18 alexander: 4) Connection established
18:40:21 astron247: okay.
18:40:30 alexander: Does that make sense?
18:40:35 astron247: so far yes
18:40:58 alexander: But then one wouldn't need to select a computer on the phone...
18:41:02 astron247: but ... you cant go into the remote app on your phone and connect to a pc with impress running?
18:41:44 astron247: @18:40:58: well, the computer is asking for a connection to be established so, no need to
18:43:27 alexander: so we could drop that option from the Android app?
18:44:28 alexander: And drop having a list of 'recent connections', too
18:45:32 astron247: about dropping the option: not necessarily. if you could initiate the connection with your phone it would still make sense
18:46:36 alexander: What would 'initiate' mean?
18:48:01 astron247: #1 have impress open on pc
#2 start impress remote on phone
#3 choose the pc on the phone
#4 let pc show pin, enter it on the phone
18:48:45 astron247: specifically step 3
18:48:48 alexander: Ah, so the same as before, just the other way around
18:49:43 astron247: right
18:49:57 astron247: to me this also seems more natural
18:50:12 astron247: somehow
18:50:43 alexander: Or have both options
18:51:08 astron247: right, thats what i wanted
18:51:23 alexander: Yes, I'll add it to the wiki
18:51:40 astron247: even if i (personally) might prefer initiating it from the phone
18:51:58 alexander: What about a 'history'?
18:52:12 alexander: Not needed, or what do you think?
18:53:24 astron247: i think for frequent speakers a history is a good idea
18:53:36 astron247: and thats probably the target audience
18:54:09 alexander: Again, on both PC and handheld device?
18:54:30 astron247: ah... likely only on the phone
18:54:54 astron247: ... but then, why not on both
18:55:12 alexander: So that it will simply try to connect to the PC with the same hostname/IP whatever with the PIN that was used the last time one connected to that PC?
18:55:32 alexander: and the other way around
18:56:32 astron247: yes, though if it was forcefully disconnected, then it should require a pin again
18:57:02 alexander: You mean disconnected via the modal bar?
18:57:03 astron247: by forcefully i mean "explicitly" disconnected as opposed to only wifi/bt being turned off at some time
18:57:06 astron247: yes
18:57:09 astron247: effectively
18:57:10 alexander: ok
18:58:47 alexander: >LibreOffice Android UI
18:59:25 astron247: okay
18:59:35 alexander: The tentative design for the actual viewer needs to be crafted, right now we only have one for the file manager
18:59:57 alexander: I'd be good to know what the studend will work on first
19:00:46 astron247: hm sure
19:01:01 astron247: you mean which types of document?
19:01:21 astron247: also, didnt we discuss some viewer stuff last week?
19:01:39 alexander: Writer, Impress and Calc
19:01:42 alexander: yes
19:02:25 alexander: but I think no one volunteered for a tentative design
19:02:35 alexander: or we simply overlooked it
19:02:53 astron247: ah ok.
19:03:24 astron247: ill say that i dont really want to do android design stuff, simply because i dont know the platform so well
19:04:06 alexander: agree, let's just ask on the mailing list
19:04:44 astron247: but mirek did start on it right? and andrew had some improvement ideas?
19:05:09 alexander: yes
19:06:37 astron247: okay.
19:07:41 alexander: I guess we're done with the urgent stuff now
19:08:33 alexander: I'm having some questions regarding the new master slides, though
19:08:45 astron247: oh wait, another impress remote thing
19:08:50 alexander: Yes?
19:09:12 astron247: in the third mockup (the ubuntu windows)
19:09:22 astron247: why are there no buttons on the bottom?
19:09:42 astron247: at least a close button should be there
19:09:54 alexander: agree
19:10:04 alexander: 'Connect' Should be at the bottom, too
19:10:55 astron247: so thats mireks doing then?
19:11:05 alexander: He's got the latest SVG
19:11:19 alexander: So yes
19:11:31 alexander: or I ask him for the file
19:12:16 astron247: okay
19:14:14 alexander: When I rotate a text box of a master slide, that rotation gets lost when applying the master slide, does that happen on your install, too?
19:16:39 astron247: for text that can be changed later on: yes
19:16:47 astron247: for text that cant: no
19:17:01 astron247: (im using a current master – yesterday or so)
19:17:50 alexander: hm
19:17:58 alexander: Maybe I should try the master
alexander: Alright, should I make use of that new 16:9 page ratio instead of using xrandr and copy my screen size?19:19:22

[Some slightly off-topic stuff about new slide ratios in 3.6]

19:28:38 alexander: What would we need to do in order to get new 'open source' fonts into LibO?
19:29:42 astron247: oh, i have no idea... except, you and me can push stuff, so we should be able to do it on our own basically
19:29:59 astron247: we might happen upon some animosity from the devs though
19:30:39 alexander: Is it as easy as simply copying the font in the correct folder, adding it to the licensing info and pushing it?
19:31:03 astron247: i guess but dont nail me on that
19:31:08 alexander: Rather ask on the dev mailing list?

[Lots of off-topic stuff about Git/building...]

19:52:49 alexander: Thanks for the help, do we need to discuss anything else?
19:53:16 astron247: ah ... one thing:
19:54:02 astron247: you might have noticed that some symphony parts are going to be opensourced
19:54:48 astron247: michael meeks has the (somewhat ambitious) plan to get that stuff shipping within 3.6 (at least as experimental features)
19:55:17 astron247: you can try how well these features are integrated into openoffice 3.4+
19:56:19 astron247: the builds are at:
19:56:46 astron247: you might want to download a windows build and run it under wine because the linux builds apparently crash
19:57:27 alexander: ok
19:57:43 alexander: when is feature freeze? IN two weeks?
19:57:57 astron247: dunno tbh...
19:59:53 astron247: but yes, its close
20:00:22 alexander: I'll do so
20:01:03 alexander: willl that code be licensed as LGPL3+/MPL etc. within LibreOffice?
20:01:17 astron247: it will be under al2
20:03:37 astron247: as for the icons...
20:04:37 astron247: do you have a master build?
20:04:50 astron247: (downloaded/installed)
20:05:38 alexander: downloaded and installed, but I need to reinstall the desktop integration
20:06:13 alexander: I think an older version is still installed, so I'll ned to fix that first
20:06:25 alexander: or do you know the CLI commands?
20:07:20 astron247: dpkg -i *, you mean?
20:08:19 alexander: no, to run the dev build
20:08:56 alexander: I'm just having dinner, though. Should we end the meeting?
20:08:58 astron247: oh, it should be in /opt/lo-dev/program/soffice
20:09:04 alexander: ah ok
20:09:05 alexander: thx
20:10:20 astron247: okay... once you get a build from the last two weeks, you can just decompress the tar.bz2 into (pathtolodev)/share/config/images_tango
20:10:48 astron247: and yes, we can leave it at that. ill upload the log.
20:12:53 astron247: well then bye... i guess.