Design/Meetings/2012-07-28

From The Document Foundation Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Attendees

Tasks

Alex/Astron

Astron

  • Send them to Refael rather timely

alexanderW

  • Do new templates
  • Get red/striped new Impress masterpage ready for inclusion

Log

[18:10] == astron247 [bc6ad234@gateway/web/freenode/ip.188.106.210.52] has joined #libreoffice-design
[18:10] <astron247> hi alex...
[18:14] <@alexanderW> hi
[18:15] <@alexanderW> So what do we need to discuss today?
[18:19] <@alexanderW> - Icons for Rafael
[18:19] <@alexanderW> - Possibility to include fonts in 3.7
[18:20] <astron247> actaully waht about 3.7? or would it be 4.0?
[18:20] <@alexanderW> ?
[18:21] <astron247> now, there's this discussion of when to make the 4.0 ... and since Apache want to make their own 4.0 rather soon that might mean we wouldnt want to wait either
[18:21] <@alexanderW> Ye
[18:21] <astron247> (or at least some of the developers rather think that way)
[18:21] <@alexanderW> So we wouldn't go 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 4.0 ?
[18:22] <@alexanderW> On the ESC call there was some discussion to clean up the wiki page for 4.0 and only keep stuff that actually breaks the API and that people are willing to work on
[18:25] <astron247> @alex: no, most developers certainly don't want the 3.9 part at least
[18:25] <@alexanderW> ok
[18:26] <astron247> so, that one of the reason why the Development/ReleasePlan page only ever planned until 3.7 so far
[18:26] <astron247> wiki page...
[18:27] <@alexanderW> ah
[18:28] <astron247> so, it might actually be the case that the release after 3.6 is 4.0 already ...
[18:28] <@alexanderW> oh
[18:28] <astron247> i'd hoped you had sensed that during the call
[18:28] <@alexanderW> in spring as ausual
[18:28] <astron247> yes.
[18:29] <@alexanderW> I assumed the work on 4.0 would start very early
[18:30] <@alexanderW> OT Are the gnome icon artists at GUADEC?
[18:30] <@alexanderW> That might make it a bit difficult to reach them on  IRC I think
[18:31] <astron247> yes, artists should be at guadec.
[18:31] <astron247> the good thing about thaat is that michael is there too
[18:31] <@alexanderW> At least the licensing should be clear when michael can talk to them
[18:34] <astron247> okay
[18:35] <@alexanderW> But can we already upload the Gnome icons to the wiki page for the template picker?
[18:36] <astron247> yes, just as much as we are already using them in 3.6
[18:36] <@alexanderW> I meant the ones which weren't used in 3.6 yet
[18:39] <astron247> but thoseare licensed the same..?
[18:39] <@alexanderW> ah of course
[18:40] <astron247> anyway, i tried doing the "new template" icon and it was somewhat disappointing, because i wanted to put that little glowing star / orb on there but it either covered the triangle of the document or it just looked weird elsewhere
[18:40] <astron247> (can't show you, because i am not on my own pc, hope you can imagine)
[18:41] <@alexanderW> yes
[18:41] <astron247> any good ideas?
[18:41] <@alexanderW> hm, maybe only a template icon
[18:41] <@alexanderW> like we're now using the document icon in the regular toolbar
[18:42] <@alexanderW> for creating a new document
[18:43] <astron247> not sure if it means so much within a template dialogue, but yes, would be one option
[18:43] <@alexanderW> I haven' started to work on these yet, maybe I'll do so this evening
[18:44] <@alexanderW> Where should I ask whether the next version can also ship writer, Calc etc templates?
[18:47] <astron247> wait... "I haven' started to work on these yet" – what were yo ureferring to here?
[18:47] <@alexanderW> TRhe icons for the template picker
[18:47] <@alexanderW> *The
[18:47] <@alexanderW> The second questions was somewhat unrelated
[18:48] <astron247> ah okay.
[18:49] <astron247> okay, so i also did an import icon – which i cant show now either... its similar to the one found in inkscapes tango set
[18:50] <@alexanderW> ok
[18:52] <astron247> i am trying to find the original right now .. since you might notve seen it
[18:53] <astron247> http://jesusda.com/files/inkscape-tango-theme/preview-tango-snap.png
[18:53] <astron247> first row, fifth from the left
[18:53] <astron247> i tried to make the arrow more clear though
[18:53] <@alexanderW> looks good
[18:55] <@alexanderW> So what about new fonts and additional templates e.g. for Writer?
[18:55] <@alexanderW> Simply correspondence etc
[18:59] <astron247> sounds good to me.
[18:59] <astron247> i think the templates we should be able to ship
[19:00] <astron247> no idea if we can make the fonts a reality
[19:00] <astron247> because it always also increases the install size
[19:01] <@alexanderW> Maybe there will be enough dead code removed that it doesn't really affect the size
[19:01] <astron247> and of course theres all this somewhat nonsensical (my view) opposition to non-ms metrics compatible fonts
[19:02] <@alexanderW> Well, it might make sense for the default Writer template
[19:02] <@alexanderW> But aside from that...
[19:03] <astron247> imho liberation sans aka ascender sans is so ugly, that were actively making it worse for our own users.
[19:04] <@alexanderW> I think it's okay, but my screen resolutions isn't very high so it might not be that visible to me
[19:04] <astron247> certainly a matter of taste.
[19:05] <astron247> i still prefer vanilla helvetica or in our case, freesans.
[19:06] <@alexanderW> Yes, helvetica always fits
[19:06] == Manas [75f2bc07@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.242.188.7] has joined #libreoffice-design
[19:06] <@alexanderW> hi
[19:07] <Manas> hi all
[19:07] <@alexanderW> IIRC you and Mirek didn't really like the 'Sunset' template and I think the svg version doesn't really help there, so IMHO we should drop it
[19:07] <@alexanderW> What do you think
[19:08] <astron247> i think its alright.
[19:09] <astron247> one of the problems with all your templates though is that theyre all 1366*768 optimised while most projectors only do 1024*768
[19:10] <astron247> and for me, on a 1440*900 screen they also looked somewhat blurry
[19:10] <@alexanderW> I hoped using svgs would have helped
[19:10] <astron247> that's probably hard to solve
[19:11] <@alexanderW> so resize them for the next version?
[19:11] <astron247> somewhat, but it doesnt help with everything
[19:11] <@alexanderW> to 1024*768
[19:12] <astron247> not sure, i think for the future well have to deal with lots of hd projectors, ie 1920p/720p
[19:12] <astron247> so, maybe always do two versions ,one for 1024*768 and one for 720p
[19:13] <@alexanderW> SO that both show up in the pane?
[19:13] <@alexanderW> *So
[19:14] <astron247> yes, thats unfortunate but likely the best we can do
[19:14] <@alexanderW> Alright
[19:15] <astron247> otoh hnad projectors are usually rather blurry anyway, so i dont think we lost sharpness with the templates in 3.6
[19:15] <astron247> -hnad
[19:15] <@alexanderW> Good
[19:16] <@alexanderW> I also did a new one that could replace Sunset if we decide not to keep it: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2PruJHfXZDQ/UBML_CGVkQI/AAAAAAAAALE/3UbmncqrcXA/s559/rect5636.png
[19:17] <@alexanderW> The stripes would be a bit thinner, though
[19:17] <astron247> ah, yes. just saw it on g+
[19:17] <astron247> looks really nice
[19:18] <astron247> although whats with the rather puzzling right side?
[19:18] <astron247> (bottom)
[19:19] <@alexanderW> I was supposed to look like that, maybe a bit smaller and more transparent
[19:21] <astron247> yes, a bit smaller would be good.
[19:22] <astron247> right now it burns quite a bit of space
[19:23] <@alexanderW> indeed
[19:27] <@alexanderW> I'll be afk for 5 min
[19:27] <astron247> k
[19:34] <@alexanderW> back
[19:35] <astron247> good
[19:35] <@alexanderW> What else should we discuss?
[19:36] <astron247> i guess we should try to discuss 4.0 branding...
[19:37] <astron247> although its not really my area of expertise theres a few things that id like to change
[19:37] <@alexanderW> For example?
[19:37] <astron247> so, for one, we currently have a rather shoddy community logo
[19:38] <astron247> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Logo_resources_for_community_members_and_external_use
[19:39] <astron247> then, we are using two font colours and are already using both bold and regular font in the logo
[19:39] <astron247> trying to construct a tiered logo (ie something like LibreOffice Code Review will look rather clownesque
[19:40] <astron247> so, I'd love something simpler
[19:41] <@alexanderW> I see
[19:41] <astron247> and then theres the issue that our main document logo just doesnt work in a number of contexts
[19:41] <astron247> like in the mac os dock
[19:41] <@alexanderW> I just got to go - having dinner. Can we continue the discussion later on?
[19:42] <astron247> not really.
[19:42] <astron247> but lets leave it at that for today.
[19:42] <astron247> (i guess)
[19:42] <@alexanderW> Alright, could you start a thread on the ML then?
[19:42] <astron247> thanks for attending
[19:42] <@alexanderW> Good
[19:42] <@alexanderW> Thhanks, too
[19:42] <@alexanderW> Ghave a good evening
[19:42] <@alexanderW> *have
[19:42] <astron247> okbye, you two, then.
[19:43] <Manas> bye
[19:43] <astron247> ill put this online
[19:43] == Manas [75f2bc07@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.242.188.7] has quit [Quit: Page closed]