Design/Meetings/2013-06-22

From The Document Foundation Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Cast (in order of appearance)

  • Enervation
  • mirek2
  • astron

Topics

  • Impress Remote for Android
  • Sifr/Symbolic theme

Log

[18:40] <astron247> hi
[18:40] <@Enervation_> hi astron
[18:40] <mirek2> hi
[18:41] <mirek2> looking through the notes you posted
[18:41] <mirek2> what is Sifr?
[18:42] <astron247> issa's flat theme
[18:43] <astron247> its the arabic word for zero apparently
[18:43] <astron247> but now i know why i found the name weird
[18:43] <astron247> i knew this before: http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/sifr
[18:44] <mirek2> oh ok
[18:45] <astron247> what do you think about the name (quickly)?
[18:45] <mirek2> I'd prefer to stick to Gnome Symbolic
[18:46] <mirek2> or just Symbolic
[18:46] <mirek2> as it builds on that
[18:47] <mirek2> "LibreOffice Symbolic", perhaps
[18:48] <astron247> ok
[18:48] <astron247> we should probably tell issa -- i think id like "symbolic" better, too
[18:49] <astron247> but if issa still wants, he can use the arabic word for it
[18:49] <mirek2> sounds good
[18:49] <mirek2> it is his, after all
[18:50] <mirek2> will you email him?
[18:51] <astron247> ok. will do now.
[18:51] <astron247> (i can do this on-list, right?)
[18:51] <mirek2> sure
[18:51] <mirek2> any topics you'd like to cover today?
[18:53] <astron247> ok. hum.
[18:53] <astron247> whats happened in the past week..?
[18:53] <astron247> on our list, etc.?
[18:55] <mirek2> michael chimed in with his thoughts on the impress remote
[18:56] <mirek2> and someone wrote in about styles
[18:57] <astron247> yep. right
[18:57] <mirek2> (wasn't this week, but we didn't cover it yet)
[18:57] <astron247> oh, and just today kracked-p-p told us about aoo in the google play store
[18:58] <mirek2> right
[18:58] <astron247> but ok, michaels ideas about the impress remote are maybe the thing to discuss...
[18:58] <mirek2> astron247: ok
[18:59] <astron247> so, he seems to want to disregard the whole "you may have multiple computers or a public computer" idea, it seems to me?
[19:00] <mirek2> hm...I agree with him that the experience should be smooth
[19:02] <astron247> right. but the problem with enabling bluetooth automatically & in-app was one of regarding the android HIG
[19:03] <astron247> and theoretically, the connexions to pcs should be permanent (in my light testing that wasnt always the case)
[19:04] <mirek2> where in the HIG?
[19:06] <mirek2> I haven't tested the app yet, so I don't quite know how it works now
[19:06] <astron247> cant point you to it, but i know andrzej mentioned it
[19:06] <astron247> ill try to find it
[19:11] <mirek2> I like the idea of automatically connecting to a certain computer
[19:12] <mirek2> and offering other PCs as a secondary option
[19:13] <mirek2> (same workflow as network connection)
[19:14] <astron247> hum, ... http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/bluetooth.html#SettingUp
[19:14] <astron247> they do seem to provide apis for it...
[19:16] <mirek2> if bluetooth isnt on, the app could present a big "turn bluetooth on" button on the bluetooth screen
[19:17] <mirek2> I agree that turning on wifi or bluetooth without permission would be too intrusive
[19:18] <astron247> sure, but with the big button you always have two taps
[19:18] <astron247> (one on the button, one for confirmation)
[19:19] <mirek2> could we escape the confirmation?
[19:20] * astron247 is not a developer
[19:21] <mirek2> :)
[19:21] <mirek2> if not, then show the dialog first
[19:22] <mirek2> keep the button there, though, if the user declines
[19:22] <astron247> well, we probably have two tabs (bt & wifi)
[19:23] <mirek2> yup
[19:23] <astron247> so, either could have a big "enable x" button on it, if said functionality is not on
[19:23] <mirek2> yes, that's what I meant
[19:24] <astron247> maybe we could even switch to the wifi tab automatically if the user declines the bt enablement request
[19:24] <mirek2> yes, that too
[19:25] <astron247> wifi is probably enabled on most phones permanently (i turn it off to save battery -- but generally chances should run high)
[19:25] <mirek2> right
[19:28] <astron247> ok.
[19:28] <astron247> so, what do we do about public pcs?
[19:28] <astron247> i guess the most important thing is to enable people to easily decouple a phone from the pc..?
[19:29] <mirek2> not owning a mobile device, I don't use Bluetooth
[19:33] <mirek2> I could imagine parallels with wifi
[19:33] <mirek2> in which case it's the owner's responsibility to protect the connection
[19:34] <mirek2> but, yes, it should be easy to decouple a device
[19:34] <astron247> "not owning a mobile device" -- you mean you dont have a phone anymore?
[19:35] <mirek2> I haven't had a cell phone for years
[19:36] <mirek2> perhaps it could be harder to couple a device, though
[19:36] <mirek2> to couple it permanently, I mean
[19:36] <astron247> well, bt is always a mystery to me.
[19:37] <astron247> so, ostensibly, the connexions are permanent, but half the time that does not work so well; so i decouple and recouple
[19:37] <mirek2> :)
[19:38] <astron247> i also never got bt to work on windows. i ended up feeling pretty stupid there.
[19:40] <mirek2> I imagine having an extra layer of security on the computer when connecting permanently -- a user password prompt
[19:40] <astron247> anyway, when coupling a device, i would propose showing a notification bar that asks if the phone should remain coupled forever or jsut for this one session
[19:41] <astron247> if the user doesnt choose anything, libo should just unpair when the software is closed
[19:41] <mirek2> how about a checkbox before connecting?
[19:42] <mirek2> (similar to "Stay signed in")
[19:43] <astron247> uhm... let me check.
[19:43] <mirek2> and if "Connect automatically" is checked, we should ask for a password
[19:45] <mirek2> (I'm talking about the PC side of things, of course)
[19:46] <astron247> ok
[19:47] <astron247> so, the whole connexion dialog on linux is native (i.e. its shown by gnome shell)
[19:47] <astron247> so, no way to add a checkbox
[19:49] <mirek2> what about the Impress remote dialog?
[19:49] <mirek2> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/7/78/GSoC-2013-Impress-3.-Connection-pairing.png
[19:49] <astron247> native too
[19:50] <mirek2> really?
[19:52] <astron247> sorry no
[19:52] <astron247> that thing is currently a complete deadweight
[19:52] <astron247> if it shows up at all, it will render you unable to even close libreoffice
[19:53] <astron247> (although the latter bug seems to have been fixed)
[19:53] <astron247> but then, it does not show up
[19:54] <mirek2> I assume by the new mockups that it will make a comeback, right?
[19:54] <astron247> well, hopefully -- we need it
[19:56] <mirek2> right
[19:57] <astron247> hm. in my 4.0 build from opensuse this menu item is not present
[19:57] <astron247> (in my 4.2 master build it is)
[19:58] <mirek2> its not in the stable release, I believe
[19:58] <astron247> ok, but it has been in master for some time...
[19:59] <mirek2> I guess there are plans to fix it
[20:00] <astron247> uhm, enervation was the guy working on the ios remote?
[20:01] <mirek2> really?
[20:05] <mirek2> Siqi Liu is working on that
[20:05] <mirek2> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/GSOC-Introduction-Implementation-of-an-iOS-remote-control-for-LibreOffice-td4058186.html
[20:07] <astron247> that was a question only
[20:07] <mirek2> oh, ok
[20:08] <astron247> ok.
[20:09] <mirek2> have we agreed on the connection workflow?
[20:10] <astron247> hm, mostly, i think
[20:10] <mirek2> ok
[20:13] <astron247> do you want to work on this?
[20:13] <astron247> (mocking it up?)
[20:13] <mirek2> perhaps you could update your proposal, write a reply to Michael, and if I disagree with anything, I'll just write a reply?
[20:13] <mirek2> no
[20:14] <astron247> ok.
[20:15] <astron247> (i may not have understood it all...)
[20:17] <astron247> but, essentially you said that you did not want to work on the impress remote?
[20:17] <mirek2> no
[20:18] <astron247> and you mean "no" in the sense of "i dont want to work on it"?
[20:19] <mirek2> no, not what I meant
[20:19] <astron247> ok
[20:20] <mirek2> I meant that, since you already have a proposal started, ...
[20:20] <mirek2> ... you could add your thoughts on connection there
[20:21] <astron247> well its not much of a thought out proposal and i made it some time ago ...
[20:22] <mirek2> that's fine
[20:22] <mirek2> you can always refine it as you go
[20:23] <mirek2> I'd chime in on the ml if I disagree with anything
[20:24] <mirek2> and hopefully we can reach an agreement with Ming on this
[20:24] <mirek2> on the list
[20:26] <mirek2> I'd prefer to keep the mockups to him
[20:27] <mirek2> (just realized that I somehow didn't read "do you want to work on this?")
[20:28] <mirek2> (now things make more sense to me)
[20:28] <astron247> ok
[20:31] <mirek2> does that sound ok?
[20:31] <astron247> right
[20:31] <astron247> whos ming?
[20:32] <mirek2> Artur Dryomov uses the name Ming on the wiki
[20:32] <astron247> oh, didnt notice
[20:33] <mirek2> so you'll update the wiki and send the email?
[20:35] <astron247> update the wiki with my ideas?
[20:36] <mirek2> on the connection workflow, at least
[20:37] <mirek2> what you gathered from today and any other ideas you might have
[20:39] <astron247> ok. will do
[20:39] <mirek2> thanks
[20:40] <mirek2> other topics to cover?
[20:40] <astron247> not at this point & not without issa, i think
[20:40] <astron247> (i had some comments on the sifr theme)
[20:41] <mirek2> ok
[20:41] <mirek2> do you want to post the log?
[20:41] <astron247> finish for today
[20:43] <mirek2> yup
[20:44] <astron247> i dont mind. i can post it
[20:44] <astron247> well, then bye for today
[20:45] <mirek2> ok, thanks
[20:45] <mirek2> bye
[20:46] <@Enervation_> bye
[20:46] <mirek2> bye