Design/Meetings/2015-04-15

From The Document Foundation Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Link

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Minutes-of-the-Design-Hangout-2015-04-15-tc4146941.html

Minutes

Apr 22, 2015; 11:44am Jan Holesovsky-4
Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2015-04-15

* Present: Heiko, Ibrahim, Jay, Ken, Kendy

    + welcome Ken! - from the KDE design community
 
* Completed Action Items:

* Pending Action Items:

    + Kendy: Create a CoreHack to modify the tree view to have a Proof-of-concept of the Accordion widget
    + Jay: Send a mail to [hidden email] with the wiki page that collects changes in menus
    + Kendy: Collecting of the user information should be incremental, somewhere in the user's profile
    + Ahmed: Push the new Sifr icons he's done recently
    + Kendy: Talk to Milos wrt. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48622
    + Alex: Gnome 2.20-style 'a' icons & Gnome 3-style text line icons
    + Samuel: Formulas and Navigator should open in the sidebar, not as a special window
      https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=85897
        + Is that issue for the Navigator too (I dont read it from the issue)
          and in Writer the choice anycase was to allow opening separate too. (Cor, after discussion on 20150128)
            + the bug report only discusses the separate formulas sidebar in calc (Jay)
    + Kendy: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=87794
         + check how the sliders in the Audio/Video toolbar are implemented to move them to sidebar
    + Jay: Create a bug report about problem with parent icon set links.txt entries not appearing in child icon sets (Jay)
    + Kendy: Make sifr icons fall back on breeze icons as breeze is, more complete
 
* UI changes integrated the last week:

    + Rearrange Chart toolbars
      https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=90492
    + .ui updates (Bubli, Clément)
    + improved page numbering in Calc and Draw/Impress (Dobra Gabor)
    + new Breeze icons (Andreas)
    + Sifr updates (Matthias)
    + show only extensions we are able to insert (Bubli)

* UI Guidelines (Heiko)
 
    + https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hSYOFoG6jnj2G0zWDbUYkrGZoj7YCSI9j3onkTZ65bU/edit
 
    + should add information how to create new widgets (Heiko)
    + would be good to have Friday session about this (Heiko)
        + so that we can have the functional & visual parts there (Heiko)
    + generally UI guidelines should be kept simple to avoid the stagation
      that more detailed documents get (Ken)
 
* Icon Updates / Issues

    + Shouldn't the icons in the Start Center always be the TDF/LibreOffice official "Branding" icons
      regardless of the icon theme? (Pedro)
AI      + best to agree with Marketing - if the app icons should have the status of logos (Kendy)
 
    + Tango (Alex/Jay)
        + Latest status of updates available here (Jay)
          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OErlXIDDGM7V1mOGW8oSCLuhqw5fulT1XhkTik1u2UY/edit?usp=sharing
        + pushed new icons for Calc (Jay)

    + Sifr (Papamatti/Jay)
        + Latest status of updates available here (Jay)
          https://docs.google.com/document/d/15ZpVaTxg7TAFYhOyQUP3mp-cVtKA1vP5uZAT38t-taA/edit?usp=sharing
        + Papamatti pushed some new icons (Jay)
 
    + Breeze (Andreas/Jay)
        + Latest status of updates available here (Jay)
          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dpMFgmkQy4BsyRIKH97ZLPTU6NdvXIYk3Yossj6sSQM/edit?usp=sharing
        + Andreas pushed more icons (Jay)
 
    + Extra-Large (32x32) Icons for large resolutions
        + Status - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mPqD2gGsMkfVCI6ByUd2XYX1NJm26hcGjRVe6gcCSEU/edit?usp=sharing
 
* How best to provide kendy with a list of needDevEval (Jay)
 
    + Should I include it in the UI/UX priorty list google doc? (Jay)
        + sounds good (Kendy)
        + will bring it to the ESC to find more interested people who can provide code pointers (Kendy)
            + ~10 is enough for now
 
* Artwork for LibreOffice 5.0 call for proposals (Stuart/Kendy)
 
    + Added the 5.0 Branding artwork call for proposals (Stuart)
      https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/5.0_Branding
        + it is a bit thin, so feel free to hack at it.
        + need some crafting on the Whiteboard as to scope of 5.0 branding proposals, e.g.
          + visual design (color scheme, icons)
          + StartCenter specifics (changes to layout--yes/no--)
          + placment or size of thumbnail views/template views
          etc.
    + already some responses to posts to Users and Design MLs

    + needed: splash, startcenter graphics, about
        + https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding
        + https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Color_Table
        + https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Visual_Elements

    + reached to some people we know (Heiko, Jay)
    + now to spread the word more
AI      + sync with marketing (Kendy)
 
* Shapes Sidebar (Heiko/Jay)
 
    + Blog posted - http://user-prompt.com/libreoffice-design-session-shapes/
    + additional reaction under the blogpost
         + don't forget the connector shapes
         + another +1's for accordion
    + topic closed :-)
 
* Insert Chart (Heiko/Jay)

    + https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z1IBeqKnscoODgFDNm81iDnwkzxce92sEsYuMggnTDQ/edit?usp=sharing
 
    + somebody asked why a dialog when we have a sidebar?
        + could be that click in the toolbar just adds the chart that would be tweaked in sidebar
        + but the dialog is needed because of data in Writer
    + blogpost pending, will be out tomorrow
    + should we present both 2 proposals, or agree on one only?
        + problem that these use a different approaches to the UX (Heiko)
        + the main thing (for me) is to attract a developer who'd like to implement that, so
          presenting both works for me (Kendy)
        + conclusion: yes
 
* Next Friday's design session (Jay)
 
    + 12pm UTC
    + Continue with last friday's insert chart discussion as it hasnt been completed
    + List of possible future topics
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XiJauFHrSmM5LsaV0AlglhfUh8D1IxAg8qistP0KAQA/edit?usp=sharing
 
    + Topic: Style guide
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hSYOFoG6jnj2G0zWDbUYkrGZoj7YCSI9j3onkTZ65bU/edit
        + general view would be good (Kendy)
            + like, where we want to rely on other guidelines, and what we want to design / decide
              ourselves (Kendy)
 
* UX advise bugs in bugzilla (Stuart) (336 [-2] bugs in ux-advice today)
 
    + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&component=ux-advise&list_id=527515&query_format=advanced&resolution=---
   
    + everyone please feel empowered to look at that + act: reject, implement, decide, or bring to
      the meeting or mailing list if controversial
    + please be kind when closing requests, usually people have spent quite some energy filing that
 
* Sidebar open in Draw by default (Jay)
 
    + need the same thing as in Impress (Jay)
    + 5 minutes hack, please poke me on the IRC tomorrow (Kendy)