Design/Meetings/2015-06-03

From The Document Foundation Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Link

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Minutes-of-the-Design-Hangout-2015-06-03-td4150580.html

Minutes

Jun 04, 2015; 12:19pm Jan Holesovsky-4
Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2015-06-03
* Present: Heiko, Kendy, Jay, Steve
 
* Completed Action Items:
 
    + Jay: Make sifr icons fall back on breeze icons as breeze is more complete
      (The styles are quite different and this looks poor in Mac. Adolfo)
 
* Pending Action Items:
 
    + Kendy: Create a CoreHack to modify the tree view to have a Proof-of-concept of the Accordion widget
    + Jay: Send a mail to [hidden email] with the wiki page that collects changes in menus
    + Kendy: Collecting of the user information should be incremental, somewhere in the user's profile
    + Ahmed: Push the new Sifr icons he's done recently
    + Kendy: Talk to Milos wrt. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48622
    + Samuel: Formulas and Navigator should open in the sidebar, not as a special window
      https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=85897
        + Is that issue for the Navigator too (I dont read it from the issue)
          and in Writer the choice anycase was to allow opening separate too. (Cor, after discussion on 20150128)
            + the bug report only discusses the separate formulas sidebar in calc (Jay)
    + Kendy: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=87794
         + check how the sliders in the Audio/Video toolbar are implemented to move them to sidebar
 
* UI changes integrated the last week:
 
    + Lower half of slide transition tab reorganized (Rishabh)
    + Shrink the properties sidebar sections in Calc (Rishabh)
    + Writer menubar reorganized (Jay)
    + Insert row/col before/after in Calc (Philippe)
    + Hide common task toolbar in master slide view (Philippe)
    + Tango updates (Adolfo, Jay)
    + Formatting, Impress and Draw toolbar improvements (Jay)
 
* Icon Updates / Issues (Jay)
 
    + Sifr icons now fall back on breeze icons as breeze is more complete
        + The styles are quite different and this looks poor in Mac. (Adolfo)
        + unfortunately it is so with any fallback (Jay)
        + and breeze is closer than any other fallback (Jay)
        + the best would be to finish the Sifr theme :-) - designers appreciated! (Kendy)
        + breeze on mac - https://bug-attachments.documentfoundation.org/attachment.cgi?id=116255
        + looks good! (Heiko, Jay, Kendy)
            + let's switch to that for the RC - and if there are complaints, revert (Kendy)
            + some general concerns about breeze, but in this case it seems to look & work well (Heiko)
            + conclusion: let's switch to that now on OS X, and if there's push-back, revert
 
    + some icons have white instead of black on Windows (Jay)
        + bugreport: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91432
 
    + Tango (Alex/Adolfo/Jay)
        + Latest status of updates available here (Jay)
          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OErlXIDDGM7V1mOGW8oSCLuhqw5fulT1XhkTik1u2UY/edit?usp=sharing
        + Alex: Gnome 2.20-style 'a' icons & Gnome 3-style text line icons (Adolfo)

    + Sifr (Papamatti/Jay)
        + Latest status of updates available here (Jay)
          https://docs.google.com/document/d/15ZpVaTxg7TAFYhOyQUP3mp-cVtKA1vP5uZAT38t-taA/edit?usp=sharing
 
    + Breeze (Andreas/Jay)
        + Latest status of updates available here (Jay)
          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dpMFgmkQy4BsyRIKH97ZLPTU6NdvXIYk3Yossj6sSQM/edit?usp=sharing
 
    + Extra-Large (32x32) Icons for large resolutions
        + Status - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mPqD2gGsMkfVCI6ByUd2XYX1NJm26hcGjRVe6gcCSEU/edit?usp=sharing
 
* UX patches to approve backporting into 5.0 by (Kendy/Jay)

    + https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/16030 (Bubli)
        + pushed
    + https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/16037 (Jay)
      https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/16032
        + pushed
    + https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/16061/ (Phillipe)
        + 2 more reviews needed (Bubli? Jay?)
    + https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/16007 (Phillipe)
      https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/16034
        + Waiting for ESC
 
* Track changes sidebar (Jay)

    + Can we set a smaller size for the 4 buttons, so that the tab's minimum size can be smaller
        + asked Rishab fix this (Jay)
    + About the action column icons, it would be good to center it rather than having it aligned to the right
      and a formatting change has a plus sign, which should be changed to a 'T' icon like from textbox.
      Any possibility to have a tooltip above these action icons.
        + at the design session, did we decide to use text in the end, or not? (Kendy)
        + http://user-prompt.com/tracking-changes-with-libreoffice/ - use icons in the end
        + sw/source/ui/shells/shells.src IMG_REDLINE_INSERTED .. IMG_REDLINE_AUTOFMT
        + the actual icons are in icon-themes/galaxy/sw/res/redline_*
        + will ask Rishab to do the centering (Jay)
            + http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=5f363ce8bc563f64271744026cf0e16830cf9b06
            + this implemented the icons (to help to locate where to hack)
    + found some problems, will file bugs (Heiko)
        + happy to point Rishab to the code if he can fix that (Kendy)
    + add the buttons (Show, Start, Comment) (Heiko)
        + should be a matter of the .ui file change only (Kendy)
 
* Artwork for LibreOffice 5.0 call for proposals (Stuart/Kendy)
 
    + Added the 5.0 Branding artwork call for proposals (Stuart)
      https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/5.0_Branding
 
        + results:
            + contributions from 5 people: those listed on the page + one sent by mail
            + would be good to unify the color with what is on the webpage (Jay)
            + conclusion: send a mail to the visual identity committee what should be chosen, and how to proceed
 
* Reorganized menu bar (Jay)
 
    + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91781
    + user survey about organization possible, known as card sorting (Heiko)
        + but hard to do with too many items (Heiko)
        + will not work out of the box (Heiko)
        + did similar think the last year for KDE system settings (Heiko)
    + the change is pushed now in master
        + reasoning: to be able to see how it compares to the old layout (Jay)
        + easier to see it in action than to take tens of screenshots (Jay)
    + the question: if (or how much) of that still put to 5.0?
        + we should do the change, it's 5.0, big changes are anticipated (Heiko)
            + can see the people's reactions, and revert in the worst case
        + Impress is done already, Calc too (Jay)
            + but not pushed yet
        + Jay to join the ESC tomorrow, Sophie from the l10n is there too,
          let's discuss there (Kendy)