Design/Meetings/2016-02-26

From The Document Foundation Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Link

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Minutes-of-the-Design-Hangout-2016-02-26-td4177320.html

Minutes

Mar 03, 2016; 3:07am, Jan Holesovsky-4
Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2016-02-26
        
* Present: Italo, Stuart, Heiko, Jay, Kendy, Jan-Marek, Tomaz, Akshay

* UI changes integrated the last week:

    + Add a "filter" to Insert > Field > Other > Cross reference tab (Akshay)
    + ".uno:LineToolbox" command into writer (Gulsah)
    + UI for classification (Miklos)
    + Update of .ui files in Option (Adolfo)
    + More menus converted to xml (Maxim)
    + Slide preview fixing (Rishabh)
    + Fix paper cuts in animations sidebar (Bubli)
    + Tweaks in tango and galaxy icons (Jay)
    + Native Gtk3 popup menus (Caolán)
    + Vertical alignment buttons for shapes in the sidebar (Maxim)
    + Move accessibility relations to .ui files (melikeyurtoglu)

* GSoC - Special Character dialog (Jay/Heiko)

    + should we design implement our own or use OS specific charmap dialog
      https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37229
      https://www.kde.org/applications/utilities/kcharselect/
      https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Apps/Gucharmap
    + char map app is not necessarily bundeled on Linux (Heiko)
    + Adolfo worked on the task; in our dialog some features are missing (Stuart)
    + Proposal for high-end dialog made last year at http://user-prompt.com/de/libreoffice-design-session-special-character/

    + from the development point of view, would rather have own dialog, than having to maintain code
      for ~5 platforms (Windows, OS X, LXQT, KDE (Qt4/5), Gnome2/3, etc.) (Kendy)
        + agreed, good to add more features to our dialog though (Stuart)
        + it is not a single dialog / API, but external program(s) on those platforms (Jan-Marek)

    + conclusion: let's stick to our dialog, and promote improvements in it for the GSoC

* GSoC

    + https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GSoC/Ideas
        + needs to be filed in until the next Tue
        + Heiko will add the ideas there (/done)
            /done Area Fill, Table Styles, AutText, Bibliography
        + Samuel added Notebookbar (Jay: good, Heiko: better define requirements first)
    + we should file in the tasks that are completed from the design point of view
        + Table styles, Customization dialog, Sidebar, ...
        + design session stuff : table of contents dialog, symbol dialog, fill dialog, print dialog
          https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6qJrVIa0SAlcFV0Q2lWMmdUcW8&usp=sharing
            + done
        + redesign template manager
          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JRPNdeHQpgqiqJv8LW-RHOjtHN8EMX0qK98QBnr10Yg/edit?usp=sharing
          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ri2jznhcQmCtk3cVygEhwN7pi8FkbIVV_OvRQce_n6Y/edit?usp=sharing

    + Jay: add a Styles usability improvements section + list the various things to implement to GSoC-next ideas
        + Ahmed, Jay: Brainstorm about some nice / more styles for Calc
          https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/boards/1/topics/493
          [longer term - maybe better to add to the GSoC Styles task?]
        + Jay: Impress also needs more default object styles (only 2 are available)

    + concern about the Notebookbar task (Heiko)
        + it is supposed to provide the ground work (Kendy)
        + yet it talks details that were not decided yet (?) (Heiko)
        + propose to move it to a different section, if it is for the ground work (Heiko)
            + good idea, will move it to porting / platform (Kendy)

    + potential student Akshay joined the the hangout, Stuart explains the concept (Stuart)

* Cell borders interopability (Jay)

    + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79787 

    + would be good add new line styles, so that we can map between Calc and Excel 1:1 (Jay)
        + currently the 13 Excel types map to 7 LibreOffice styles (Jay)
          https://bug-attachments.documentfoundation.org/attachment.cgi?id=121956
        + suggested to add new odf/libreoffice styles, so that we can map perfectly (Jay)
        + the interoperability problem comes from us... (Jan-Marek)
            + the solution isn't the most optimal interoperability fix (Jay)
            + loses the information - maps to something that is not true (Jay)
            + at least this improves roundtrip (Jan-Marek)
    + suggest to create a follow-up bugreport (Kendy)
        + Jan-Marek will discuss with Jay (Jan-Marek)

* Draw-related survey (Heiko)

    + published and continued (will close on Friday, 19 February)
      https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2016/02/07/what-do-you-expect-from-draw/
      http://user-weave.com/survey/b0edf831f89d4d23bb3d6b6ba3e574a9?12
    + Results  
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByWdNpQKVjM8bF91TGJCUXlFUk0

    + many participants, over 1200 valid answers

    + intermediate results at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OEnqvhBkBMoULW_1Zeb37UpM3GbZaUynj2reM3Bdq-U/edit
    + textual analysis work in progress at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GjpudJOJQUlWh7AHGpB5iAEk086SQ6nkAzkKOXPJL84/edit#gid=0

* Place to share documents - where? (Heiko)

    + Where to place raw/binary data (ods, r)?
        + wiki probably best (Jay, Stuart, Kendy)
        + gdrive possible too, but has problems (Jay, Heiko)

    + There is also a TDF ownCloud instance (Kendy)
        + was not reliable the last time we tried (Jay)

    + we should encourage use of the tools that are provided by TDF (Kendy)
        + suggest to try pad again for creating things (Kendy)
        + unfortunately that currently brings more problems than usefulness (Stuart)
        + tried to use that, but more hassle than benefits (Jay)
            + only 3 sizes of pictures (Jay)
            + stuff disappearing (Jay)
            + basically need a word processor, much looking forward to LOOL
              (with collaboration) (Jay)

    + conclusion: Definitely use the TDF infra for results (wiki etc.), but unfortunately for
      the creation, the tools are not fit enough :-(

* Sidebar survey

    + http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/UX_Sidebar-Survey
    + https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ts5GlnrOGWcn7_V9naqRF-Ag9EWzFpsF6GwxH_uzzRw/edit

    + should we start it?
        + in vacation the next 2 weeks (Heiko)
        + some good discussion on the list
            + but that seems to be closed now (Heiko)
        + do now? (Heiko)
            + let's go for that (Kendy)

    + originally thought of some lightweight blogpost, but user-weave will be probably better (Heiko)
        + some additional questions for user-weave (Heiko)
        + user screen size would be useful (Jay)
        + documents side by side (?) (Jay)
            + full-screen or not (?) (Kendy)

    + a picture at the beginning of the survey vital (Jay, Jan-Marek)
        + otherwise much of the stuff is not understandable

    + dropped a question about toolbar / sidebar
        + it is not well defined, does not add more info