Frequently asked questions - Writer
From The Document Foundation Wiki
How do I suppress a line break inserted before a table of contents (at the beginning of a document or a section)?
- edit the table of contents to remove its protection:
- right click on the table of contents and select Edit index/table;
- under the Index tab, uncheck Protected against manual changes;
- click OK.
- place the cursor at the beginning of the table of contents;
- press the Return key to delete the line break;
- edit the table of contents to protect it again.
The table of contents is updated while it is being validated.