Frequently asked questions - Writer
How-to force URL detection for URLs pasted from the Web
LibreOffice can automatically detect a URL if it is typed or pasted from the clipboard. In such cases, LibreOffice automatically creates a hyperlink. This mechanism is triggered by:
- clicking Detect URLs via the menu ▸ ▸ ▸ ;
- check [M] for different items in the list if you want to Replace while modifying existing text, e.g. when you use the ▸ ▸ (works on a selection); and
- check [T] next to any item if you want it to AutoCorrect while typing.
The end of line character in copied-text from the web is often a line-break, i.e. ↲, and not a paragraph mark, i.e. ¶. When pasting to a document, these line-breaks are preserved, preventing the URL from being recognized:
For LibreOffice to be able to recognize the URLs:
- paste the text using ▸ ▸ (lines will then end with a paragraph mark); and
- select the text and then do ▸ ▸ .