Events/LibreOffice Espania Summit
The 1st LibreOffice community Espania Summit (growing out of the 3rd LibreOffice Gran Canaria Hackfest) will take place in the is using LibreOffice.on April 6-9 (Wednesday to Saturday, being the core days Thursday and Friday)) 2016. The City of Las Palmas
Campus de Tafira Baja
Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Edificio de Informática y Matemáticas
35017 Las Palmas, Spain
Location link: http://osm.org/go/bjdUWwxs?layers=N&m=
Getting to the venue
Most visitors will probably stay in Las Palmas center, close to "Parque Santa Catalina" (Santa Catalina´s Park). There's the Guagua bus 26 going from Santa Catalina´s Park to the university. See the map of Líneas Zona Universitaria (PDF) and stops and timetable. Get off the bus at Ciencias Básicas, which is one stop after Biblioteca Universitaria near the top of a steep hill and one stop before the final stop Campus Universitario, to reach the building of Informática y Matemáticas, we are in the room Aula 1-2, third door on the right after the main entrance.
We would like to thank our following sponsors and supporters for making the Summit possible:
- CIB for sponsoring the catering, and doing the legwork and organising on the ground
- Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria for providing rooms, facilities and connectivity
- The Document Foundation, for providing travel sponsoring
The Document Foundation may be able to refund tickets to and from the Gran Canaria Summit, after prior approval by the organizers, under the following conditions:
- transportation and accomodation in a shared hotel room with single beds as available on location
- volunteer-first - people affiliated with a company involved in LibreOffice work will come last
- first-come-first-served - participants will get reimbursed in order of their sign-up on the wiki attendance list, until budget runs out.
- ask the organizers as soon as possible (ideally right before booking) if budget is still available. Be aware of the fact that tax law requires us to collect original receipts, so please keep them (or hand them in right there in Gran Canaria)
Please be economic and pick cheap travel - flights to Gran Canaria should still be available at a reasonable price.
For those who attended: If you'd like to request a travel reimbursal, please follow the HowTo at TDF/Policies/Refunding for the SPI refunding, and mail email@example.com with your documents.
- Your laptop
- Excellent mood, and lots of energy!
Participants & Registration
If you are from Gran Canaria, please register yourself in the event in order to get tickets.
If not, please add yourself to the list as early as possible, so we can plan travels and budget.
- Patricia Santana Cruz
- Jan Iversen
- Thorsten Behrens
- Xisco Faulí
- Pasqual Milvaques Pons
- Samuel Mehrbrodt
- Oliver Specht
- Eike Rathke
- Vasily Melenchuk
Thursday and Friday are the core days.
The venue will be available to us 10:00 to 20:00 from Wednesday to Friday. On Saturday, the architecture falculty which is very close to the venue, has 24 hours open, and big shared rooms with wifi connection can be used as well.
- Welcome day, arrival, invitation to attend talks of the following days.
- Internal meetings
This is the LibreOffice community day
- Thursday morning -- Community meetings -- Espania Summit
- 10:00 / Aula 1-2 / Planning on community fostering
- 11:00 / Aula 1-2 / Spanish event & activities planning for 2016
- Lunch break (12:00 to 14:00) => Architecture Faculty Cafeteria
- Thursday afternoon -- Expert coaching
This is the Hackfest day - please come & see how to develop in & around LibreOffice
Important: if you'd like to peek into LibreOffice core development, please prepare your laptop to be able to access our Hackfest VMs!
- Friday morning: student's introductory
- 11:00 / Auditorium room (Sala de Grados) / FLOSS introduction for the unwary: What is OpenSource and why's it powering the software landscape Thorsten Behrens
- 11:40 / Auditorium room (Sala de Grados) / LibreOffice and TDF - Five years of Success & What's up next Thorsten Behrens
- 12:10 / Auditorium room (Sala de Grados) / LibreOffice code mentoring program introduction Jan Iversen
- 12:30 / Auditorium room (Sala de Grados) / LibreOffice hacker from 0-100 in 30 minutes (LibreOffice development mentors)
- Lunch break & socializing (13:00 to 14:30) => Catering sponsored by CIB
- Friday afternoon
- 14:30 / Lab. 1-1 / LibreOffice hacking workshop: Writing a Java extension (with LOEclipse) Samuel Mehrbrodt
- 16:30 / Lab 1-1 / LibreOffice hacking workshop: Using the UNO API to edit Writer documents Oliver Specht
- 17:30 / Lab 1-1 / Howto Hack LibreOffice UI with Glade Samuel Mehrbrodt
- 10:00 onwards / Hackfest at the Architecture faculty -- mentors available to help people with individual projects -- pick your hack from Development/Easy_Hacks
If you're attending, feel free to add to the list.
Ideas from the Crowd
Feel free to add some.
Better is to stay around "Parque Santa Catalina" (Santa Catalina´s Park), as the bus central station is there as well.
Getting to the centre of Las Palmas from the airport (LPA)
When you have left the baggage pickup area, while still in the airport building turn right and at the end of the building take the escalator one level up to the departures level. Leave the building here, follow the signs for busses. Cross the parking lot (you won't see the bus stop before actually going there), proceed to the second bus stop labelled "Las Palmas - San Telmo - Santa Catalina". Wait here for a bus of line 60 that gets you to the station "Santa Catalina" (some buses of the line stop earlier). A ticket should be 2.95 EUR. There's other lines going to Las Palmas San Telmo, which is another bus or taxi ride away from the city center (cab should be between 5 and 10 EUR depending on your exact destination - Exe Las Palmas was 7 EUR).
When you arrive at estacion Santa Catalina, you will be at a underground level. Take the escalator up. You are now on a city plaza (Parque Santa Catalina). For the directionally challanged, here is a hint: The harbor/coastline is to your east.
- JanIV Thursday blog report: https://janiversen.wordpress.com/2016/04/07/gran-canary-community-meeting/
- JanIV Friday blog report: https://janiversen.wordpress.com/2016/04/08/las-palmas-day-2/
- Samuel's quick update & slides: https://smehrbrodt.wordpress.com/2016/04/09/getting-started-with-libreoffice-extension-development/