Frequently asked questions - Writer
How do I add an alphabetical index to my document?
To create the Index
- place the cursor where you want the index to be inserted.;
- select the menu ▸ ▸ ▸ ; and
- in the Type dropdown list, instead of the default Table of Contents choose Alphabetical Index.
To put words into the index
- select the relevant word in the text;
- select the ▸ ▸ ; and
- click Insert.
The dialog box allows you to index the selected word.
For the next word:
- leave the dialog open;
- place the cursor on the word;
- next to the Entry area click on the icon with the circular arrow, which will Update entry from the selection. The word will be automatically added; and
- click on Insert.
The 1st Key and 2nd Key areas are used to create a hierarchical index with two levels.
To update the index, right-click on it, and select Update index in the contextual menu.
To remove an entry that has been inserted
- in the text, put the cursor in the entry;
- right-click and select Index entry...;
- in the dialog box, select Delete; and
- click OK.
This is also a way to modify the indexation and, where necessary, to correct an entry (removal of capital, singular words or change the input word to standardize the writing of the index).