Frequently asked questions - Writer
- You wish to represent the data in a spreadsheet by using a chart
- You wish the chart to be updated whenever the data in the spreadsheet change.
Linking by DDE 
This technique consists of establishing a link with the data in the spreadsheet and creating the corresponding chart directly in the Writer document.
- Open the spreadsheet, select and copy the data "source" for the chart (Menu ▸ or Ctrl+C)
- Open the document in which you wish to create the chart
- Click in the document where you want the chart to be created
This will create a Writer table
- Select the whole table and go to How to create a diagram or a chart
▸ ▸ . The chart is based on the table and can be modified cf.
- By using the menu ▸ ▸
- By right-clicking on the chart and choosing Edit
Note : When the Writer document is opened, LibreOffice prompts you to update the links from the data.
- DDE : "Dynamic Data Exchange". DDE allows you to link objects by reference to the sheet, but not to embed them.