Frequently asked questions - Writer
- you wish to represent the data in a spreadsheet by using a chart; and
- you wish the chart to be updated whenever the data in the spreadsheet change.
Linking by DDE
This technique consists of establishing a link with the data in the spreadsheet and creating the corresponding chart directly in the Writer document.
- open the spreadsheet, select and copy the data "source" for the chart (Menu ▸ or Ctrl+C);
- open the document in which you wish to create the chart;
- click in the document where you want the chart to be created;
- This will create a Writer table; and
- select the whole table and go to How to create a diagram or a chart;
▸ ▸ . The chart is based on the table and can be modified cf.
- by using the menu ▸ ▸ ; or
- by right-clicking on the chart and choosing Edit
Note: When the Writer document is opened, LibreOffice prompts you to update the links from the data.
- DDE: "Dynamic Data Exchange". DDE allows you to link objects by reference to the sheet, but not to embed them.