Design/Whiteboards/LibreOffice Initial Icons
TDF LibreOffice Document Liberation Project Community Blogs Weblate Nextcloud Redmine Ask LibreOffice Donate
As this page doesn't only show the basic information about the design but contains links to the present state of our work, everybody is invited to join our effort:
Subscribe to the design mailing list, comment presented proposals and pick an icon that still needs to be worked on. If you are interested in collaborative work and integration in a common design idea, your help is highly appreciated!
Goals and Timeline
The goal is to create an initial icon set for the LibreOffice 3.3 release. Rationale:
- The visual identity of LibreOffice changed according to the LibreOffice Initial Branding.
- The Galaxy style icon set which is currently used features both Sun and OpenOffice.org visual identity elements.
- The ODF style icons set, which is currently used within OpenOffice.org, has been criticized to be visually indistinguishable due to e.g. missing colors for the applications.
A release of LibreOffice 3.3 is expected from mid December to mid January ... the icons have to be provided at least approx. 5 days in advance.
Requirements and References
Note: Due to the time constraints, the requirements do only cover the most important points.
- The following icons must at least be provided: LibreOffice main application icon, LibreOffice application icons (most used applications), LibreOffice MIME type icons (most used file types and template types).
- The icons should match the LibreOffice initial branding.
- The icons should be usable on all platforms that are supported by LibreOffice.
- High contrast versions have to be made available.
- OpenOffice.org Visual Design Galaxy MimeType Icons Style (by Sun/Oracle): Color language and symbolism of the Galaxy MIME type icons.
- OpenOffice.org Visual Design Galaxy MimeType Icons Overview (by Sun/Oracle): Lists the most common "user visible" MIME type icons featuring the Galaxy style.
- OpenOffice.org Unified ODF Icons - Project Home Page (by Sun/Oracle): Lists information on the initial ODF icons development. Provides overviews of required icons, e.g. a list of system file types.
- OpenOffice.org ODF Toolkit Project (by Sun/Oracle): Lists the ODF style initial icons, their revisions and also the high contrast versions.
- Rework of the Unified ODF Icons (OpenOffice.org): Rework of the ODF style icons to make them more distinguishable. Work in progress.
- Tango OpenOffice.org 2.0 icons (by Jacub Steiner): Icons created by Jacub Steiner for OpenOffice.org 2.0 according the guidelines of the Tango Desktop Project. There, you'll also find some MIME type icons. The site mentions that the icons are not public domain.
Discussions and Decisions
Alternatives for New / Improved Icons
|Complete New Icon Set||
||Create a completely new MIME type icon set on the basis of the LibreOffice branding guidelines.|
|Use of Tango Icons||
||Use the tango icons that are available on some platforms.|
|Rework ODF icons Set||
The ODF icons may be retouched to work on the most criticized point of being less distinctive. The application icons may be replaced by the corresponding document icons. The LibreOffice main application may be based on the TDF document symbol.
From the options given above, the Steering Committee decided to go for the "Complete New Icon Set" (see Steering Committee Meeting, 2010-12-11).
The discussion concerning the icons takes place on the Design Team mailing list. The following table is an extract of some of the discussed issues.
|Topic||Question / Issue||Answer / Discussion||Decision|
|Remaining time for the release?||Christoph: Much much time is left for the icons to get included within LibreOffice 3.3?||Not that much ... :-(||(none)|
|Need for dedicated application icons?||Bernhard: Is there a need for dedicated LibreOffice application icons? If the user executes one of the applications, then usually starts with an empty document.||
Christoph: It's common on all platforms to distinguish between application (e.g. Writer, Draw) and document icons (e.g. ODT, ODG). Rationale:
But, LibreOffice and the different application modules are different from other software. Therefore we may go for a main LibreOffice application icon, and re-use the document icons for the corresponding applications.
Decision: After some discussion, sharing application and document icons do save some effort and also make some sense from the user's point-of-view. The decision may be re-visited for the next releases of LibreOffice.
|Share application and document icons|
|Use of the LibreOffice document symbol?||Bernhard/Christoph: Shall/may the LibreOffice document symbol be used for the icons?||
Implicit decision (by going forward on the mailing list without veto): Use the document symbol for the icons. This decision may be re-visited for the next releases of LibreOffice.
|Use Document Symbol for Icons|
|Color update possible?||Ivan: When working with the icons, it seems that the branding colors might require some more tweaking. Is it possible to change them?||Christoph: The colors may already be used by others to come up with marketing material. But if it is required, some minor tweaks are possible of course ... even if we just do that within the icons. Furthermore, the update of the branding colors seem to be manageable (in terms of effort).||Open|
Note: Basic symbolism will be used for 16px and (partly) 32 px icons. If the icons are larger, then decoration elements can be added to make them more pleasing.
|Icon Type||Document Name||Application Namebr>||Symbol Main Colorbr>||Basic Symbolism||Decoration Elements||Comments / Discussion|
|Document, Application||Text Document||Writer||Blue||A few lines representing text||An image in the upper right corner (mountain behind a sea)||
|Document, Application||Spreadsheet||Calc||Green||A grid representing the cell grid||A bar graph chart||
||Line chart (mimicing positive market development)||
|Document, Application||Text HTML / Empty||Writer/Web||Gray||
||Glowing lines on the globe to represent active connections|
|Document, Application||Master Document||(Writer)||Gray||4 miniaturied versions (2x2) of the "Text Document" symbolism (none)||
|Document, Application||Formula||Math||Gray||A simple formula||
|Document, Application||Chart||Chart||Gray||A bar chart||???||
|Document, Application||(Basic)||Macro||Gray||A gear wheel||
|Tools||(none)||LibreOffice Installer||Gray||Green downward arrow||
0/1 (bits) added to the arrow to represent "digital" information
|Tools||(none)||Printer Administration||Gray||A printer (next to the document symbol)||(none)|
Feedback and Issues
|Date, Author||Symbol / Visual Item||Criticism||Discussion|
|Italien team||16px icons||
In general, the smallest size it is very difficult to distinguish between document and template. It is impossible to see the spyral - a test: changing the colour of the small triangle seems to work well.
|2011-02-11, Kendy and Michael||Missing Items||
As you can see, the Libre icons are more saturated than the Tango ones. It would be great when the user switches to Tango, to have the LibreOffice icons more fit the entire theme, ie. use the Tango palette in that version. For that, we would need separate copies of the icons that are using the other palette; but from that palette, of course colors that are closest to the original ones.
The second problem is that the big version of the icons is 26x26; and Tango theme is 24x24, and not even using the entire area. The result is that it looks as if the icon on the upper left hand side was much bigger than the rest of the icons in the toolbar.Additional image example by Kendy (showing the full drop-down list).
|Mail by Kendy|
|2011-02-18, Sophie||Quickstarter Icon||Under GNOME, the quick starter icon doesn't appear to have a transparent background. An easy way to reproduce this behaviour is to set your GTK theme to New Wave and enable the LibreOffice Quickstarter in Tools > Options > Memory > Enable systray quickstarter. It would look a lot better if we removed the opaque background beneath the icon.
Reason why this happens
IIRC if a program uses EggTrayIcon or X11TrayIcon (or similar) instead of Gtk.StatusIcon, the icon does not contain a transparent background. All we need to do is change the code to use Gtk.StatusIcon (should be relatively simple).
|2011-02-28, Several authors||Quickstarter Menu||Math icon is colored blue in the drop-down list of the QuickStarter||tdf#34324|
Source Code Integration
- See mail stating the target names in the source code
- See Bug 33229 Update old Sun/OpenOffic icons to the LibreOffice branding for integration status
- See Design Tools "Support, Documentation and Development" for the "SVG Icon / Graphics Workflow" and the "Git Version Control System"
Present State of the Icon Design
The present version of the icons has been released with LibreOffice 3.3.1.
Thanks to everybody having helped to make this happen!
Please update the table if you uploaded the icons. Thanks!
The source file contains the present version of all the icons - alternative proposals as different layers. (If the combined file can't be merged, when several people worked on different icons, we'll go back to individual files)
|Icon Type||Document Name||Application Name||Document (DC)||Document (HC)||Template (DC)||Template (HC)||Team||Current Owner||Latest Version||Comments / Work Status|
|Main Application||(none)||LibreOffice||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Christoph, Paulo||source file|
|Document, Application||Text Document||Writer||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Christoph, Paulo||source file|
|Document, Application||Spreadsheet||Calc||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Christoph, Paulo||source file|
|Document, Application||Presentation||Impress||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Jaron, Christoph, Paulo||source file||alternative drafts in the source file|
|Document, Application||Drawing||Draw||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Jaron, Christoph, Paulo||source file||alternative drafts in the source file|
|Document, Application||Database||Base||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Bernhard, Christoph, Drew, Paulo||source file||alternative drafts in the soure file|
|Document, Application||Text HTML / Empty||Writer/Web||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Final Draft||Bernhard, Christoph, Paulo||source file||alternative drafts in the source file|
|Document, Application||Master Document||(Writer)||Final Draft||Final Draft||not needed||not needed||Bernhard, Christoph, Paulo||source file|
|Document, Application||Formula||Math||Final Draft||Final Draft||not needed||not needed||Christoph, Paulo||source file|
|Document, Application||Chart||Chart||Final Draft||Final Draft||not needed||not needed||Christoph, Paulo||source file||Re-use idea/graphics from Calc|
|Document, Application||(Basic)||Macro||Final Draft||Final Draft||not needed||not needed||Bernhard, Christoph, Jaron, Paulo||source file||alternative drafts in the source file|
|Tools||(none)||LibreOffice Installerbr>||Final Draft||Final Draft||not needed||not needed||Christoph, Paulo||source file|
|Tools||(none)||Printer Administration||Final Draft||Final Draft||not needed||not needed||Christoph, Paulo||source file|
Proposals by Bernhard
present version: Media:LibreOffice Initial Icons Bernhard draft 0-1.svg
previous versions (and mails)
- File:LibO icons draft.png
- Mail by Bernhard, first draft: File:Template icon draft.svg
- Mail by Bernhard, second draft File:Draft1 2.png
- Mail by Bernhard: Bernhard's Wiki User Page (Drafts)
Proposals by Ivan
Proposals by Christoph
- Current version: Writer Icons Blog Posting, Calc Icons Blog Posting, and the source file Media:LibreOffice Initial Icons-Christoph.svg
- More structured approach based on Bernhard's last (and fine) work: Preview, and the source file Media:LibreOffice Initial Icons-Christoph.svg
Proposals by Jaron
- 1st Draft: Jaron's Proposal
- 2nd Draft, Macro Icon: Macro Proposal
- Gear svg file for Macro Icon in case someone wants to play around with it: Gear
Proposals by Paulo José
- 256px icons for Writer, Calc, Press, Draw, Base and Math based on Christoph proposal: Paulo's proposal.
- Some details and alternartive versions of all 128px icons are also included.
Proposals by Different Authors