Board of Directors Meetings

From The Document Foundation Wiki
< TDF
Jump to: navigation, search

For meetings of the Membership Committee, please see TDF/Membership Committee Meetings

Supported by talkyoo

Poweredby talykoo 88x31.png

The Document Foundation would like to especially thank talkyoo.net for their generous support with our phone conferencing system. Thanks a lot, folks!

What it's about

Discussions of the Board of Directors take place on public mailing lists. Once every two weeks, for those interested, we host a conference call on the phone, to discuss ongoing topics and recent activities directly. Everyone interested is invited to join, all callers can speak. The conference calls are open for everyone to join, following our approach to transparency and openness. Phone conferences with public participations Marketing/ConfCalls are available for marketing, and will be available for other projects soon.

Reaching the board outside regular meetings

You can always reach the board privately by mailing to info@documentfoundation.org, or (preferrably, since we're default-open) publicly by mailing to the board-discuss@documentfoundation.org public mailing list. If TDF officers can't make a call, or for ad-hoc meeting needs of TDF members, please ping one of the TDF administrators on the #tdf-infra connect via webchat IRC channel.

Some important notes

  • Although being public, these calls are not to be considered as official press statements for journalists. Journalists are invited to join, but for media Q & A, there will be separate sessions where official statements by TDF representatives are made.
  • Every call will be recorded and made available as uncut audio file to the public afterwards. If you join, you agree that you will be recorded.
  • We do not charge a fee for joining the calls. However, normal phone costs apply. Please check your provider for more details.

How to prepare yourself

  • Most topics we will discuss have been raised on our main mailing lists already, especially discuss and marketing. Please have a look at them, to stay up to date on recent activities.
  • Join our IRC channel #documentfoundation connect via webchat during the call, so in case we post links or texts, you are in the loop.

Next Call

Date and Time

The TDF BoD calls will take place every other Monday, 1700 Berlin time, starting February 29, 2016.

Important Notes

  • Contracts and obligations with third parties have to be approved by two BoD seat holders, amongst them the BoD chair, and in case (s)he cannot, the BoD deputy chair. Alternatively, a warrant can be issued by one of these.
  • Decisions need a quorum of 1/2 of the participating or represented BoD seat holders. If decisions are tied, the vote of the BoD chair (or his representative), and if not available, the vote of the BoD deputy chair (or his representative) are decisive.
  • People coming late or leaving early need to be mentioned in the minutes

Agenda for next scheduled call on July 18th, 2016

Not all items might fit into each specific call, so the order should be in priority. The name in brackets shows who added that item, not who is in charge.
NOTE: Remember to open the respective pad

A. Who is keeper of the minutes?
B. Who is the session chair?
C. Who is in the call? Please give name and official role, if any
D. Is any BoD seat holder or deputy representing any BoD seat holder? (Only one representation per participant)
E. Is one of the BoD chair or BoD chair deputy in the call or represented? => If not, no quorum
F. Do we have at least 1/2 of the BoD, counting in representing deputies, in the call? => If not, no quorum
G. How many eligible voters, including represented ones, are in the call, so how many do we need for a quorum?
H. Verify correct invitation plus quorum and state that in the minutes
I. Have the decisions from the previous call been added to the appropriate wiki page already?
J. Have the minutes from the previous call been published already?
K. Have the minutes from the previous call been added to the internal WebDAV already?

Public agenda:

  1. Discuss: Quarterly report for all sub-topics in the rules of procedure, see https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/BoD_rules#Decision_making_and_responsibilities (Marina)
  2. Discuss: MC elections (Florian) Quick discussion how to proceed wrt. the MC elections

L. Ask again who is still in the call, to find missing participants

Private agenda:

recurring item: Verify number of dialled in participants with web interface (to avoid anyone else besides eligible participants are in the room)

Official BoD decisions should be added to the appropriate wiki page afterwards.

Dial-in Details

Phone Numbers (or google g+/g talk)

see Talkyoo

Room

  • Room number: 53 71 38
  • No participant PIN is required
  • All calls will be recorded
  • All participants can speak

Archives

Minutes 2016-07-18

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-2016-07-18.mp3 The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2016-07-18
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, July 18, 2016 Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Marina, Michael, Thorsten, Kendy, Björn, Florian, Gabriele, Eike

Representation: Björn (Simon)

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 6 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:08 Berlin time.


Public agenda:

1. Discuss: Quarterly report for all sub-topics in the rules of procedure,

  see https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/BoD_rules#Decision_making_and_responsibilities (Marina)
  • Employees
  + ongoing work to improve contracts (Michael)
  + otherwise no larger issues (Thorsten)
      + growing team.
  • QA (Marina)
   + internship in studio storti
      + working on mail-merge and file->properties
      + reporting bugs

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed&list_id=622745&namedcmd=StudioStortiInternship

      + also doing bug confirming with Beluga.
      + internship ended, but hopefully some ongoing work
   + we see the weekly bug summary.
   + regression bugs declining - back to where they were sept 2015 (Michael)
      + needinfo / unconfirmed bugs not exploded either (Bjoern)
  • Documentation (Kendy)
   + exciting progress - on help-content
      + expanding participation there.
   + worked with students on translation of it (Marina)
      + lots of work needed there.
   + team now has regular meetings.
  • NLP (Eike)
   + business as usual
   + monitoring the l10n list, but not looking at marketing.
  • Certification (Marina)
   + would like to involve cert. committee again
       + particularly after the open-source conf. in London
       + was an interesting reaction from attendees.
   + need to push for promoting the certifiation
       + in particular in developer area; some need customization
       + can promote list of certified developers for large migrations.
   + some campaign to promote it ? (Gabriele)
       + cf. barnstars etc.
       + before the conference - at the conf. a session

AI: + encourage Italo to market sessions at the conf. (Florian)

   + concern wrt. removing mandatory membership criteria (Florian)
   + Developer Certification (Kendy, Thorsten)
       + new people certified every quarter or so by ESC.
  • Development (Bjoern)
   + no big highlights
  • Releases (Bjoern)
   + 5.2.0 branch off - large number of pending patches
       + beyond that, smooth this quarter.
   + release train continues to chug along.
   + new package formats provided (not by TDF): flatpak and snap
  • license (Michael)
   + dull as usual.
   + sad Symbola license situation.
       + concern when no concrete license / grasp of it (
  • events (Marina)
   + had feedback from FISL in Brazil
       + interested to be in the community.
       + mail address - need to send something.
       + Gustavo and Olivier were there.
   + event in Albania
       + translation sprint.
   + need to keep in contact with lots of communities
       + create a strong relationship between foundation & NLPs
   + hack-fest in Ankarah (Michael)
       + unusually well attended.
   + concern wrt. events in India / Tokyo (Marina)
  • affiliations (Bjoern)
   + GNOME and KDE join TDFs AB
   + nothing not announced elsewhere.
  • Marketing / communication / design (Kendy)
   + design - lots of ongoing work from GSOC
       + lots of projects design / UX related.
       + lots of people occupied there.
   + Marketing (Marina)
       + Mike creating nice videos
       + as usual - should have a track @ conf.
       + Google Adwords - working on keywords.
       + need to improve the wiki structure.
   + Month of LibreOffice (Bjoern)
       + well received badges etc.
  • Assets / finance (Thorsten)
   + donation flow - has been great for six months
   + year-over-year, between 18% to 68% up monthly.
   + long term investment planning ongoing.
   + work underway wrt. TMs etc. positive developments.
   + many thanks too to Norbert for his oversight.
  • Contracts / Taxes / Compliance / Brands (Thorsten)
   + nothing terrible going on
   + lots of tedious work.

2. Discuss: MC elections (Florian) Quick discussion how to proceed wrt. the MC elections

 * Friday - filing of new members went out
 * Papers being signed & sent to Berlin.
 * Kick-off MC elections this week.
 * Should reach-out to those who should stand for the election.
 * deadlines / everything looks good (Gabriele)

Public call ended at 17:40 Berlin time

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2016-07-04

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-2016-07-04.mp3 The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2016-07-04
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, July 4, 2016 Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Bjoern, Thorsten, Marina, Michael, Simon, Florian, Eike, Norbert

Representation: Bjoern for Kendy, Norbert for Osvaldo

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:09 Berlin time.

Public agenda:

1. Discuss: Budgets, approvals and LibOCon invites (Florian)
Discussion about the community budget and invitations to LibOCon.

   + should just move on wrt. travel to the conf (Norbert)
      + non-controversial.
   + not looked at it (Bjoern, Michael)
      + total loss of context problem (Michael)
   + all agree we want to get people to the conference (Thorsten)
      + question is which budget does it come from.
   + can we de-couple splitting up this budget from getting a conf. budget ?
      + general agreement
   + next year have a dedicated LibO conference budget (Michael)
   + problem - Sophie wants to know whom to invite (Simon)
      + can we invite everyone; and then get a budget back.
   + want a list / breakdown of people Coders vs. NLP etc. (Michael)
      + before we promise people things.

VOTE:

   => approve Eur 30k for conference:
       + Eur 20k from the community budget.
       + the rest from SPI.
   + Yes: Bjoern, Thorsten, Michael, Eike, Norbert, Marina
   + Abstains: Simon
   Florian will ask Italo t circulate a spreadsheet with updated details.

2. Discuss: Pro bono software development (Thorsten)
Blueprint (https://www.calblueprint.org), a UC Berkeley nonprofit, offer pro-bono software development. Might be suitable for the server side of the crash reporter.

   + a nice opportunity
      + ask for help with crash-reporter front-end ?
   + any objections ?
      + how about the dashboard bits ? (Bjoern)
   + try to simulate a real company / service
      + give a requirement sheet, and they implement it for you
   + what they ask for is projects to feed their teaching exercise (Norbert)
   => ai thorsten: connect them with moggi.

Public call ended at 17:36 Berlin time

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)


Minutes 2016-06-20

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-2016-06-20.mp3 The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2016-06-20
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, June 20, 2016 Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Michael Meeks Keeper of the minutes: Florian Effenberger

In the call: Michael, Thorsten, Osvaldo, Björn, Norbert, Florian, Kendy

Representation: Norbert for Marina, Björn for Simon

Deputy Chairman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 6 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:05 Berlin time.

Public agenda:

1. Discussion: OSBA Interop Working Group (Thorsten)

   How we can get members and/or the AB involved.
   + re-suscitating this
       + 1st round was reasonably successful - Lanedo/SUSE
       + 2nd round was struggling with two different projects/branches
       + 3rd round - should have stake-holder meeting at LibOCon
           + broad agreement to focus on LibreOffice
   + should we call out to all the TDF members.
   => lets just do it.

Public call ended at 17:10 Berlin time

We're making the following items of the private agenda public now in accordance with our statutes:

2. CIB - pondering Google Adwords with LibreOffice (Thorsten)

   + approved in the past Itomig, .Riess, Cor, Collabora
   + unanimous approval:
      => enable for CIB too (Florian)

AI: + provide account number of account to Florian (Thorsten)

3. Collabora / AB proposal (Michael)

   + suggestion TDF to resource releasing LOOL concurrent with 5.2
     + Norbert: it's a source release, still we should make sure it's building/working
         + VM => we know that at least this one works
   + [redacted]
   + on top, provide tinderbox, plus something like CODE for community development, QA etc / rather barebones, just LibreOffice
   + timeline: 5.2 release, around that time
   + LOOL for members, suitable for daily use or demoing, to be plugged into TDF ownCloud instance
   + [redacted]

Private call ended at 17:55 Berlin time

Michael Meeks (Session chair)
Florian Effenberger (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2016-06-06

Voice recording (MP3):File:Talkyoo-2016-06-06.mp3 The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2016-06-06
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, June 6, 2016
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Eike, Bjoern, Thorsten, Italo, Marina, Michael, Simon, Osvaldo, Florian, Gabriele, Kendy, Norbert

Representation: None

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:05 Berlin time.

Public agenda:

1. Discussion: Size of future Membership Committee (Florian)
Discussion going on at tdf-core@ currently.
Proposal: The new membership committee, as well as future membership committees until otherwise decided, will consist of a total of nine (9) members:

         five (5) seat holders plus four (4) deputies.
            + Cor concerned to have more deputies than members.
            + fine with it (Michael, Thorsten, no objections)
        + Good proposal to have more deputies (Gabriele)
            + but agreed via E-mail, right number is 5 members & 4 deputies.
        + Vote: unanimous approval + Gabriele + Bjoern + Norbert's support

2. Discussion: Brno meetings (Florian)
Want to finally nail this down, seems uncontroversial.

- Community Meetings on Tuesday, September 6, at the University (Institute of Information Technology)
- Conference from Wednesday, September 7, to Friday, September 9, at the University (Conference Center)
- BoD/MC/ED Meeting on Saturday, September 10, from 10AM to 6PM, at RedHat Brno (Fifth Floor Meeting Rooms)
- Team Meeting on Sunday, September 11, from 10AM to 6PM, at RedHat Brno (Fifth Floor Meeting Rooms)

   + should we stretch the meeting into Sunday ? (Thorsten)
      + not hyper-eager (Michael)
      + not to change now, but prefer discussion at beginning (Norbert)
         + and half-day for formal vote at the end.
      + FOSDEM: 2x days booked, but seemed un-necessary (Kendy, Marina)
   + no strong feelings / except that we agree.
   + like a day & a half experience (Simon)
      + having a dinner before we meet - helps,
   => Proposal core hours:
      + everyone present from 6pm Friday -> early Sunday morning
          + board-only dinner Saturday night
      + leave Sunday morning.

Please let us know as soon as possible:
- Who needs a reservation for the hotel, with check-in and check-out dates
- Who is going to pay on its own, and who is going to be reimbursed by his employer
=> Please e-mail to Sophie ideally by the end of the week, otherwise we hit a deadline

AI: + re-check student dormitories (Florian/Sophie)

3. Discussion: Bitergia Dashboard (Florian)

   + Provisioning to get some feedback.
   + need to accept the proposal
       -> then one year of support starts
   + like the proposal a lot (Gabriele)
       + not everything we asked for, but better than nothing.
       + dash-board collecting public data (Gabriele, Norbert)
   + check with Marketing - when we go public (Bjoern)
   + including bibisect in the commit count ? (Norbert)

AI: + need to ask to completely exclude them (Florian)

   + company credits on the dash-board, taking into
     account only last company (Bjoern)
       + should be careful to be consistent.
   + could be used for the credits page ? (Michael)
   + encourage JanI to get involved (Bjoern, Thorsten, Michael)
   => pull trigger, sign off on delivery.

Public call ended at 17:35 Berlin time

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2016-05-23

Voice recording (MP3):File:Talkyoo-2016-05-23.mp3 The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2016-05-23
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, May 23, 2016
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Michael (BoD), Marina (BoD), Thorsten (BoD), Osvaldo (BoD), Kendy (BoD), Eike (BoD), Björn (Deputy BoD), Italo, Florian, Jiri Eischmann (Red Hat), Stephan Bergmann

Representation: Björn for Simon

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:07 Berlin time.

Public agenda:

1. Discussion: New packaging formats (Eike)
See https://whatofhow.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/libreoffice-flatpak/

* Flatpak format for newer distributions
* Eike: Would like to see Flatpak format as one of our official distribution formats provided by TDF
  * infrastructure, release engineering
* Jiri: technology has been around for 1,5-2 years, couple of upstream projects (GNOME, KDE etc.) already experiment with that
  * bundling and sandboxing technology, one installation file for multiple distributions and their versions
  * is more secure through sandboxing, although X-Server can cause troubles until Wayland is in place
  * another benefit is that we can directly roll out updates into the distributions
* Michael: what's the base of the container? runtimes, LibO built with GTK runtimes, but vendor-independent, distribution neutral
* Jiri proposes to have it as official format for LibO 5.2, incl. distribution to mirrors + TDF endorsement for that, does not ask for exclusivity
  * Love the idea, community project, Stephan done some great work (Michael)
      + lets be enthusiastic about it.
  * Thorsten: GTK vs KDE
      + people around Qt, working on the KDE run-time (Jiri)
         + need to
  * how much work ? (Thorsten)
      + have at the moment - a shell-script that does a complete build & pkg (Stephan)
         + technically need, a TDF machine - that is new enough to support flat-pack
         + builds of latest flat-pack 0.6
         + already in contact with Christian
         + can be yet-another VM - but happier to merge with existing.
         + not really different from any other builds.
  * Two stories (Bjoern)
      + flat-pack release
         + not seen a first release, and/or how much work it is.
      + who does the builds
         + do should do that for other new package formats; eg. snap ?
      + Current release - disables Java
         + not a full drop-in release yet.
      + Build script downloads things
   * Can sign the flat-packs (Stephan)
   * Concerns about missing Java parts & TDF doing it from the start (Bjoern)
   * Would love to show community contributed build on DL page (Michael)
      + same with 'portable' download versions (Thorsten)
      + agreed (Bjoern, Marina)
   * Will work with Cloph to make & sign builds (Cloph)
   + Eager to get a quote (Jiri)
      + can we get a downloadable version first (Michael)
         + happy to help with marketing to devs etc.
         + end-users prolly not so interested yet.

2. Vote: Changes for tdf-members list (Thorsten)

== Proposed text for the footer:

--- "Postings on this list are considered private communication among TDF members. Please do *not* share outside this circle!" ---

Proposed text for the announcement on the list, to also be sent to any new subscriber as the welcome message:

--- "Dear members,

 the TDF board & staff is working on improving communication and
 transparency of how TDF operates, and what decisions are taken.
 One of the items identified is that you, as trustees of the
 foundation, deserve more timely updates on what's going on. As these
 things go, that sometimes requires confidentiality, as e.g. press
 statements need to be refined, people briefed, or competitors not to
 be alerted ahead of time.
 So effective today, postings on this list are considered private
 communication among TDF members. To assure mutual confidentiality,
 and for being able to share increasingly more stuff with you as
 members, TDF asks you to specifically not forward emails from this
 list, or otherwise spread information conveyed.
 Please understand that leakage of any kind will heavily
 disincentivize future sharing of information - let's all try to not
 be tempted. :)"

---

There were several additional items related to that, without which the above makes little sense:

  • the board agrees that all decision-making is public-by-default
  • for private discussion / decisions:
  * define a reason (e.g. personal data, NDA requirements, priviledged
    communiction, other legal risks)
  * define a sunset period, by which time the decision will be made
    public. Unless we're legally required, I fail to see any area
    where that period would be forever
  * define a scope (bod-only (perhaps sometimes excluding CoI-ed
    members), bod+ED, members-only). No other groups.

==

   + Vote - passed; unanimously.

3. Discussion: Upcoming MC elections and size of MC (Florian)

Before the upcoming MC elections, we should discuss the size of the MC, which the board can define within parameters set forth in § 12 II of the statutes (at least 3 people, max. 10% of BoT, always odd number).

   + deadline for election sometime late august
   + upcon decision made this is binding for the elections, so ensure we have enough people willing to run for elections (Florian)
   + 5 seat holders, 2 deputies thus far
   + perhaps up it to 7/3 ? (Michael)
   + 215 or so people in the membership

AI: => talk to the MC about it (Florian) AI: => canvas people whom we think may sign-up (All)

   + prolly need only 7 actual seat holders from 7/3 (Florian)
   + having space to move to the board can help (Michael)
   + lets make a decision next meeting (Florian)
   + what is MC election deadline ? (Thorsten)
      + announcement - latest Aug 5th.

Item 4 was shifted to the private agenda

5. Discussion: Certification program status and future (Marina)

   + Opinions sought on Cert. program (Marina)
       + Developer piece rocks (Michael)
       + migration & training
       + No problem with continuing @ currently level (Thorsten)
           + occasionally talk to Thomas, not aware of any issues.
           + why not keep it running ?
       + Issue on cert. committee - mostly self-appointed (Italo)
           + some people actively working;
             Thomas, Lothar, Marina; and others less engaged.
           + some outside are more interested than Cert. Committee members
       + idea to review composition:
           + people wanting to extend it in their Geographies.
           + eager to have Franklin in cert. committee eg.
       + propose: come up with a new list & we rubber stamp it (Michael)
           + agreed by Certification Commitee
           + membership expires (Thorsten)
               + no general problem with a group that some do more & less.
       + good to have a rational here (Italo)
       + good to have a bi-annual review from here on ?(Thorsten)
           + part of the programme anyway (Italo)

Public call ended at 17:53 Berlin time

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2016-05-09

Voice recording (MP3):File:Talkyoo-2016-05-09.mp3 The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2016-05-09
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, May 9, 2016
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Marina, Michael, Kendy, Eike, Osvaldo, Simon, Björn, Norbert, Florian, Italo

Representation: Norbert for Thorsten

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:15 Berlin time.

Public agenda:

Discussion: Migration to Jitsi/Freeswitch (Florian)

  • Michael Bielicki (Simon's contact) offers setup of Freeswitch in our infrastructure
  • it provides SIP connectivity as well as a RTC web client, however, HTML5 design work needs to be done to make it functional

next steps: Florian to get a test drive (web-only) to see how it performs

Discussion: 2013-2015 tax declaration (Florian)
Discussion of next steps for signing.
Florian explains the process, and proposes Michael and Marina to sign this, will circulate document tomorrow.
Built on the numbers we worked through, lists foundation's objectives, activity of business entity, reserves and donations, ~4 pages.

Discussion: 1st quarter 2016 reports for QA, documentation, certification, events, marketing & design (Marina) Parts of that might be shifted to the private call for confidentiality reasons.
See: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/BoD_rules#Decision_making_and_responsibilities

  • Improving help (Marina)
   + building on Olivier's XSLT work: preview here
       http://vm173.documentfoundation.org
   + Will have an internship at Studio Storti
       + want to improve the help content with Olivier.
       + adding missing pages / links.
   + wants devs to provide clear documentation too.
  • Certification (Marina)
   + would like to discuss it
       + pwrt. migration & training.
   + during FOSDEM - certified new members for migration & training.
       + lots of interesting ideas on updating the process.
  • Hack-fests (Marina)
   + one coming up in Munich
  • Design & UX (Kendy)
   + now hiring the design & UX Mentor
   + created lots of GSOC projects
       + running 5/11 of them.
       + hopefully will do lots of improvements.
   + lots of UX improvements in the code too.
  • Legal / Licensing (Michael/Simon)
   + no significant issues.
   + Cloph continues to run the sign-off collection.
  • NLP / Translation (Osvaldo / Eike)
   + communities are working happily.
  • Finance (Norbert)
   + monitoring the income side closely
   + numbers look reasonably in-line with previous years
  • Development (Michael / Eike / Bjoern)
   + development continues - lots of good commits & committers
   + couple of new committers recently.
   + JanI mentoring people left & right.
  • Q1 Releases (Bjoern)
   + 5.0.5
   + 5.1.0, 5.1.1, 5.1.2
   + all on time, no delays
  • Q1 Events (Bjoern)
   + FOSDEM and FOSDEM Hackfest => went well
   + Gran Canaria/Spanish Hackfest

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2016-04-18

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2016-04-18
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, April 18, 2016
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini (Chairwoman of the Board)
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks (Deputy Chairman of the Board)

In the call: Marina Latini (Chairwoman of the Board), Michael Meeks (Deputy Chairman of the Board), Eike Rathke (Member of the Board), Jan Holesovsky (Member of the Board), Osvaldo Gervasi (Member of the Board), Thorsten Behrens (Member of the Board), Simon Phipps (Member of the Board), Norbert Thiebaud (Deputy Member of the Board), Björn Michaelsen (Deputy Member of the Board), Florian Effenberger

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:15 Berlin time.

Formal approval of the activity report and the financial report for 2015

Marina Latini opens the meeting and outlines the agenda. The first action item is the approval of the annual report, which consists of the activity report and the financial report.

The activity report needs to outline how the foundation fulfilled its objectives in 2015, and that it must give an overview of its activities. The activity report will be sent to the foundation authorities and to the tax office, and will be made public on our website. The legally binding version we have to file is in German and an English version based on the German one will be published as a brochure with additional graphics.

The details of the financial report are outlined now. It must likewise accurately report all accounting-relevant items and numbers, list profits and losses, and will be sent to the foundation authorities and the tax office. Like the activity report, it will also be made public on our website, alongside an English translated version. The financial report has been prepared and verified by our tax advisor based on their accounting.

The board asks to have the following vote and further discussions in private, as there is a need for confidentiality, which is unanimously agreed to. The result of this vote is now being made public in accordance with our statutes.

The public call ends 17:20 Berlin time.

Proposal: Approval of the annual activity report for 2015
Vote: 7/7 + 2 deputies
Decision: annual activity report for 2015 approved

Proposal: Approval of the 2015 closing ledger
Vote: 7/7 + 2 deputies
Decision: 2015 closing ledger approved

Proposal: Approval of the reserve building and 2016 budget
Vote: 7/7 + 2 deputies
Decision: reserve building and budget for 2016 approved

Thorsten explains that he would like ask the board to authorize Eike Rathke and himself to sign the letter of completeness ("Vollständigkeitserklärung") towards the tax advisor, and authorize them to sign the documents for the foundation authorities and the tax office, both on behalf of the board.

Vote: 5/7, Thorsten and Eike abstain + 2 deputies Decision: Approved

Decision: The activity report and the financial report for 2015 are approved. The board authorizes Thorsten Behrens and Eike Rathke to sign the letter of completeness ("Vollständigkeitserklärung") towards the tax advisor, and to sign the documents for the foundation authorities and the tax office, both on behalf of the board.

Attending at the end of meeting: Marina Latini (Chairwoman of the Board), Michael Meeks (Deputy Chairman of the Board), Eike Rathke (Member of the Board), Jan Holesovsky (Member of the Board), Osvaldo Gervasi (Member of the Board), Thorsten Behrens (Member of the Board), Simon Phipps (Member of the Board), Norbert Thiebaud (Deputy Member of the Board), Björn Michaelsen (Deputy Member of the Board), Florian Effenberger

The private call ends 18:45 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2016-04-11

Voice recording (MP3):File:Talkyoo-2016-04-11-.mp3 The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2016-04-11
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, April 11, 2016
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Marina Latini (Chairwoman), Michael Meeks (Deputy Chairman), Jan Holesovsky (Board), Florian Effenberger (ED), Osvaldo Gervasi (Board), Eike Rathke (Board), Norbert Thiebaud (Deputy), Simon Phipps (Board), Bjoern Michaelsen (Deputy)

Representation: Norbert for Thorsten

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:00 Berlin time.


Public part:

1. Discussion: 2015 activity and 2013-2015 fiscal report, 2016 budget (Florian Effenberger)

Answering questions on the process and discussing budget items. Parts of that might be shifted to the private call for confidentiality reasons. (I will mail around the ranking sheet today.)

  • Provisional 2016 budget for tax authority
    • expense we have + what we've voted on.
    • including provisional bucket / budgets.
    • after recurring / staff & already committed project costs:
      • under Eur 20k left for discretionary spending.

2. Discussion: Meetings in Brno

Proposal:

  • Have ONE day of "formal" board meeting the day AFTER the conference
    • Proposal is to start at 10 am until 5 pm, with one hour of lunch.
    • This meeting is for board, MC (+ MC elect?) (+deputies respectively, of course) and ED only, plus invitees if selected agenda items require it.
  • In the evening, the board formally meets for dinner - be there !
    • The others (MC, team) can meet somewhere else if they want, informally.
  • The day after that there will be NO formal board meeting, but we should have a venue
    • where people can gather, ideally with 2-3 available rooms. That way, board, MC and team can plan what they need (or skip the day). I would love to have a team meeting then.
  • Thoughts:
    • important to have subjective discussions in person (Simon)
      • leaving objective discussions later.
      • personal preference - get everyone in the room.
    • need a mandated, in-person once-per-year thing (Norbert)
    • people tend to leave early (or for start-of-event meetings, arrive late) (Simon)
    • propose formal board dinner on evening of the meeting (Michael)
      • so no-one leaves early.
    • if meeting at the end - keep beginning clear (Michael)
    • really pleased to have it now - details not so important (Michael)
  • AI Florian: find out when the MC election can take place, to have at least elected members known by Brno meeting

The public call ends at 17:27 Berlin time

Minutes 2016-04-04

Voice recording (MP3):File:Talkyoo-2016-04-04.mp3 The Document Foundation Board of Directors Meeting 2016-04-04
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, April 4, 2016
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Marina Latini (Chairwoman), Michael Meeks (Deputy Chairman), Jan Holesovsky (Board), Osvaldo Gervasi (Board), Simon Phipps (Board), Eike Rathke (Board), Thorsten Behrens (Board, from 17:50 on) Norbert Thiebaud (Deputy), Björn Michaelsen (Deputy), Florian Effenberger (Executive Director), Italo Vignoli

Representation: Norbert Thiebaud for Thorsten Behrens

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:08 Berlin time.

Public agenda:

1. Discussion: 2015 activity and 2013-2015 fiscal report, 2016 budget (Florian Effenberger)

  • sent a chunk of documents & some details on them
    • needs to include recurring 2016 costs + project costs
    • goal is to clearly show what we plan to do with the money (Norbert)
      • ie. prove we have a reasonable plan to meet the spending goals.
  • need to review previous spending commitments & file the things we plan to do in 2016
  • next steps: (Florian)
    • go through the 2016 draft
      • go through the recurring costs.
      • go through the projects sheet.
      • 6 projects last year - 50% of costs spent already.
        • which of these will be continued.
      • what can be funded from community projects.
      • build something out of community proposals - to build a list.
      • some of community request - redundant wrt. already planned budget (Norbert)
        • many fall in marketing / community budgets.
        • prefer to bucket it all.
        • concerned that there should be a clear plan for big buckets (Michael)
      • plan community & marketing buckets (Bjoern)
        • hand line-items to them.

AI: re-organize proposals into bigger buckets (Norbert/Florian)
AI: create a new sheet for ranking of community/travel/marketing based on the above.
can we include and re-rank non-spent items (Michael)

  • activity report:
    • Italo has shared a couple of pages; of 40 / 28 done already.
      • will share with core-list as it gets done.
    • Same design as last year, with scribus & inkscape this year.
      • Mike, Cloph + doing translations with some polish.
    • Risk of triumphlism (Michael)
      • Donors a large part of audience.
      • text should drip with - emphasising gratitude to donors & contributors
      • people jump to the bits they are about (Norbert)
        • need to see that emphasis there.
  • Features for bitergia / MC dashboard (Gabriele)
    • wants way for evangelists to up-load slides, log their talks.
    • getting data from pootle
    • have a written list -> post it to tdf-core.
    • do we have a cost for the budget ? (Michael)
      • annual fee with Bitergia currently (Bjoern)
        • question of prioritizing dashboard features
        • product mgmt prioritization issue.
      • need to finalize bitergia first (Norbert)
      • contract signed 3 weeks ago / is in-progress (Florian)
        • waiting for results to be delivered.
        • already cash left in the budget for this.
  • infra budget: should just be hardware & DNS / service (Norbert)
    • not ideal to have big S/W projects disappear into infra budget (Michael)

1a. Discussion: Pootle proposal (Florian Effenberger)
-> AI: Norbert and Florian to turn this into a budget approval

1b. Discussion: MozTrap proposal (Florian Effenberger)
-> AI: Norbert and Florian to turn this into a budget approval

The public call ends at 17:47 Berlin time

Marina Latini (Session chair) Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2016-03-14

Voice recording (MP3):File:Talkyoo-2016-03-14-.mp3

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2016-03-14
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, March 14, 2016
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Michael Meeks (Deputy Chairman of the Board), Marina Latini (Chairwoman of the Board), Osvaldo Gervasi (Member of the Board), Jan Holesovsky (Member of the Board), Simon Phipps (Member of the Board), Norbert Thiebaud (Deputy Member of the Board), Björn Michaelsen (Deputy Member of the Board, from 17:08 on), Eike Rathke (Member of the Board, from 17:26 on) Florian Effenberger

Representation: Norbert Thiebaud represents Thorsten Behrens

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:00 Berlin time.

Public part:

1. Discussion: 2015 activity and 2013-2015 fiscal report (Florian Effenberger)
Answering questions on the process. Parts of that might be shifted to the private call for confidentiality reasons.

  • will mail more concrete numbers during the week
  • any questions ?
    • prefer use numbers at end of year as a base-line rather than January (Norbert)
  • last year - beginning Jan 1st;

(Bjoern joining the call at 17:08 Berlin time)

    • filed Eur 713k - bound reserve
    • spend Eur 518k - spent last year
    • income Eur 750k
    • recommend 75k -> free reserves.
  • tentative planning with recurring costs
    • uses a chunk of cash; this year 560k recurring costs.
    • => we have two years to spend what's left (Norbert)
      • unlikely to be against the "must spend" wall in future.
  • each year we need to file a provisional budget (Norbert)
  • how large is the free reserve ? (Simon)
    • including 2015: Eur 200k (Norbert)
  • most of the English text written for annual activity report (Florian)
    • should have time for review
    • in parallel preparing the German translation for filing.
      • filing by last day of April.

2. Proposal: Adjust travel policy (Uwe Altmann)
Proposal to adjust our travel policy to pay 0,30 € per driven car kilometer instead 0,15 €.

  • move it to an E-mail vote (Florian)
    • same re-imbursement for volutneers as employees
    • is there some limitation on km driven ? (Kendy)
      • can do this - drive by car, if this is cheaper than reasonable public transport (Bjoern)
    • UK Tax authority cf. std. European rate (Simon)
      • limits total claim in a year
      • rate drops by 50% if >10k miles by car per year
        • no limit expected in Germany (Florian)
    • want a 'reasonableness' test (Michael)
      • "if in doubt ask"
    • multiple people issue (Kendy)
    • hauling T-shirts too (Norbert)
    • don't create too many rules (Simon)
      • leave as a mileage allowance; assume re-imbursal is in best-interests of TDF.
    • lets not over-legislate (Norbert)
      • agree (Bjoern)
        • worth contacting to ask beforehand ?
    • suggest don't put verbiage around it either (Norbert)
    • no general hard objections to proposal in the call
    • Eike joined the call 17:26 Berlin.
    • prefer to derogate to maximum amount under German tax-law, currently ... (Simon)

=> AI Florian: distill into proposal to vote via E-mail for the board


The public call ends at 17:27 Berlin time

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2016-02-29

Voice recording (MP3):File:Talkyoo-537138-2016-02-29-3523113.mp3

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2016-02-29
Call Minutes

Date: Thursday, February 29, 2016
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Marina Latini (Chairwoman), Michael Meeks (Deputy Chairman), Osvaldo Gervasi (Board), Simon Phipps (Board), Jan Holesovsky (Board), Thorsten Behrens (Board), Eike Rathke (Board), Norbert Thiebaud (Deputy), Björn Michaelsen (Deputy), Florian Effenberger

Representation: None.

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 1718 Berlin time.

Public part:

1. Knowing about the community (Osvaldo Gervasi)
Proposed website to improve visibility of non-technical volunteers' contribution. Suggest add budget estimate and incorporate into the next round of budgeting (Michael)

  • need help wrt. what the issues are (Osvaldo)
  • wrt. role of the dashboard (Osvaldo)
    • thought it was an internal tool
    • two things: (Kendy)
      • a general dashboard - for general state of things
      • other - for needs of membership committee:
        • this may be better to be private for MC.
      • good to do it incrementally;
        • expand it to non-technical volunteers
        • things from pootle eg. - translations definitely.
        • statistics on Mailing Lists etc. also a benefit.
    • like to advertise members per country & effort they made (Osvaldo)
      • perfectly fits the dashboard; but unsure if specified yet (Kendy)
  • think some Bitergia / Osvaldo overlap (Thorsten)
    • ideally one of several front-ends to it.
    • ideally, a couple of days of extra on top of what we contract.
  • original "All about LibreOffice" tender was very close in scope (Bjoern)
    • we didnt get a bid covering exactly the scope on budget
    • so we scaled back in scope, yet the current negotiations are the best way forward
  • provide a form to fill out for the bugeting, cf.

AI: => come up with a clear cut proposal (Osvaldo)

1.1 would welcome an update on Bitergia (Simon)
Got something back; not been widely read yet, Norbert liked it.

  • doing the work on our infra, basic setup etc. (Norbert)

AI: final review this week and say 'go' (Floeff)
AI: fwd. to Simon for review with his 'Contracts' hat on (Bjoern)

2. Helping new developers (Osvaldo Gervasi)

  • potential frustration from new people
    • recommendation - for JanI creating a page for newbies
    • has a more precise step-by-step compile instructions
    • and/or have VM available for them for easy-hacks / bugs
  • any examples of this ? (Kendy)
    • what was missing ?
      • sometimes - young people, have an interest, but eg. (Osvaldo)
        • two pupils, intersted in a thesis, but they got lost.
    • if they got lost on the install (Norbert)
      • it's down to 3-4 lines to setup an environment.
      • no way they can write a thesis on it.
      • spent lots of effort to make this easy.
      • agree (Osvaldo)
        • VM - is not leaked from easy-hacks page.
          • a guy starts to do an easy-hack.
        • a solution without a problem; if incapable of setting things up, can't produce a useful patch.
    • VM's awesome for hackfest (Bjoern)
      • proven to be very useful.
      • not a technical issue, we could do that immediately
    • newbies - more interested in problem, than infrastructure (Osvaldo)
    • unclear that it is useful (Norbert)
    • admin challenges (Bjoern)
      • throw around passwords for machines in the cloud without supervising is a challenge (not an issue at Hackfests).
      • tiny budget for the weekends, for months more (Norbert)
        • if can't learn basics of open-source dev, won't produce a patch.
    • like to help people get started (Simon)
      • would like a fully formed proposal as a document.
      • if require commit money & time; need a budget estimate.
    • optimising without profiling feel (Kendy)
      • find out exactly what was the hard part; where did they try & fail.
    • challenge is who is going to watch & hand-out keys (Bjoern)
      • mostly not a board decision.
      • like a virtual hack-fest (Simon)
        • biggest cost is time for people to run them.

AI: => come up with a clear cut proposal (Osvaldo); have a go at building & report issues ? (Norbert)

3. Involving universities (Osvaldo Gervasi)

  • like JanIV's encouragements for people who solve easy-hacks.
  • if we can establish a visible logo, to attract people from universities
    • can tender - for a graphic design; to advertise on our pages.
    • so Universities that trust us, and want to be involved in the community can establish.
  • the visible piece of a semi-formal agreement to support the project
    • a director has to sign it; and commit to
      • in collaboration with the foundation.
    • some enthusiasts support the project; spend time etc.
      • not visible enough inside the organization => re-inforce
  • have done ~this before in Brazil (Michael)

=> come up with a draft proposal etc.

  • traditional problem - TDF has not much to put on the other side (Michael)
  • can spotlight people and encourage them (Bjoern)
  • paid time can be put into projects eg. good C++ courses (Michael)
    • rather limited resource here, 50% of one JanI
    • concern to make it self-sustaining (Bjoern, Norbert)
  • a sponsored mentoring arrangement ? (Marina)
    • can offer money (eg. AB guys)
    • problem not money but mentoring cost (Bjoern)
  • had a Winter of Code line-item (Bjoern)
    • mentoring un-answered.
    • profound concerns wrt. mentoring (Michael)
      • v. expensive.
  • virtual hack-fest (Simon)
    • having someone able to stare over your shoulder is vital.
  • Proposals:
    • what work we want done, who is going to do it, and how are we going to pay for it ?

AI: => come up with some virtual internships (Marina)

Thorsten leaves the call - we hit the hour. (18:03)

Representation: Norbert Thiebaud now representing Thorsten Behrens

4. TDF official roadshow (Marina Latini)

  • format for an official marketing promotional event
    • like LibreOffice road-show in Germany
  • the redmine ticket:
  • target - public administration ?
    • topics: compliance / legal aspects, ODF, a11y, TDF & contributing, software & new features of releases, also migration protocol, and training protocol, certification with demos, a modular event with 1hr/2hr - can plug in specific topics, with more time can structure it as a 2hr / 4hr / full-day
      • an official format that the local community can use & re-adapt.
  • is there a budget line-item form Marketing ? (Norbert)
  • what does it need ? (Bjoern)
    • what timeframe, which locations ?
  • have organized several events in Italy already (Marina)
    • can provide slides -> material is done already.
  • cost: usually have a sponsor, from TDF side - it is free.
  • would love to fund requests for the community (Norbert)
  • don't want to be doing day-to-day marketing in the board (Michael)
    • sounds awesome - but can marketing not do this themselves ?
    • no need for board approval for a website here (Norbert, Simon)

AI: => come up with a clear cut proposal (Marina)

The public call ends at 1818 Berlin time.

Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 14, 1700 Berlin time
Tentative agenda items: budget & reserve building; updates on open AIs
(NB: some people might be at CeBIT)

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2016-02-18

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2016-02-18
Call Minutes

Date: Thursday, February 18, 2016
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini (unanimously accepted by all participants)
Keeper of the minutes: Florian Effenberger (unanimously accepted by all participants)

In the call: Marina Latini (Member of the Board), Michael Meeks (Member of the Board), Thorsten Behrens (Member of the Board), Eike Rathke (Member of the Board), Jan Holešovský (Member of the Board), Osvaldo Gervasi (Member of the Board), Simon Phipps (Member of the Board), Norbert Thiebaud (Deputy Member of the Board), Björn Michaelsen (Deputy Member of the Board), Italo Vignoli, Florian Effenberger, Sophie Gautier

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The meeting commences at 1800 Berlin time.

1. Election of Chairman and Deputy

Proposal to elect Marina Latini as Chairwoman
Result of vote: Consensus approval (7 out of 7)
Deputies Björn Michaelsen and Norbert Thiebaud support this.
Decision: Marina Latini elected as Chairwoman.
Marina accepts her role.

Proposal to elect Michael Meeks as Deputy Chairman
Result of vote: Consensus approval (7 out of 7)
Deputies Björn Michaelsen and Norbert Thiebaud support this.
Decision: Michael Meeks elected as Deputy Chairman.
Michael accepts his role.

The call ends at 1825 Berlin time.

Present at the end of the call: Marina Latini (Member of the Board), Michael Meeks (Member of the Board), Thorsten Behrens (Member of the Board), Eike Rathke (Member of the Board), Jan Holešovský (Member of the Board), Osvaldo Gervasi (Member of the Board), Simon Phipps (Member of the Board), Norbert Thiebaud (Deputy Member of the Board), Björn Michaelsen (Deputy Member of the Board), Italo Vignoli, Florian Effenberger, Sophie Gautier

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Florian Effenberger (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2016-01-20

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-537138-2016-01-20-3493593.mp3

Minutes 2016-01-20
The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting
Call Minutes

Date: Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Thorsten Behrens (Chairman of the Board)
Keeper of the minutes: Sophie Gautier

In the call: Thorsten Behrens (Chairman of the Board), Michael Meeks (Board of Directors), Bjoern Michaelsen (Board of Directors), Joel Madero (Board of Directeors), Eike Rathke (Deputy Board or Directors), Norbert Thiebaud (Deputy Board of Directors), Florian Effenberger (Executive Director), Marina Latini, Italo Vignoli, Sophie Gautier.

Representation: Eike for Fridrich, Norbert for Eliane

Deputy Chairman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 6 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

Previous meeting minutes are published.

The call is quorate.

From now on, a quorum can be reached with a simple majority of 4 votes.

The meeting commences at 14:37 UTC. It was held partly in public and partly in private as the board saw a need for confidentiality during discussions. The results are now being made public in accordance with our statutes.

Public part: 1. CeBIT offer

  • needs volunteers to staff the booth
  • needs visual distinction from the rest of the booth
  • messaging important wrt. enterprise support etc. (Bjoern)

2. Vote - fund CeBIT sub-booth with CIB at Eur 7k+VAT

  • provisional on:
    • support from local Germans: that this is a worthwhile show.
    • must be sufficient volunteers to cover the time.
    • clear signage & messaging to make the association clear.
    • separate carpet to delimit TDF space
  • Thorsten->recused.
  • Eike, Norbert, Michael, Joel, Bjorn -> all in favour. Thorsten abstains.

3. time of the meetings

  • AI: Sophie to set a Doodle (and keep in mind daylight savings and upfront agree how to handle it -> saves hassles afterwards)
  • until further notice / decision, we now have board calls every other wednesday at 16:00 UTC

Final roll call public call: Marina, Michael, Thorsten, Bjoern, Eike, Joel, Norbert, Florian, Sophie

Minutes 2016-01-06

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-537138-2016-01-06-3483129.mp3

Minutes 2016-01-06
The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting
Call Minutes

Date: Wednesday, January 06, 2016
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Thorsten Behrens (Chairman of the Board)
Keeper of the minutes: Sophie Gautier

In the call: Thorsten Behrens (Chairman of the Board), Eliane Domingos de Sousa (Deputy Chairwoman of the Board), Michael Meeks (Board of Directors), Eike Rathke (Deputy Board or Directors), Norbert Thiebaud (Deputy Board of Directors), Marina Latini, Simon Phipps, Jan Holesovsky, Osvaldo Gervasi, Gabriele Ponzo, Sophie Gautier.

Representation: Eike for Fridrich, Norbert for Bjoern

Deputy Chairman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 5 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

Previous meeting minutes are published.

The call is quorate.

From now on, a quorum can be reached with a simple majority of 3 votes.

The meeting commences at 16:00 UTC. It was held partly in public and partly in private as the board saw a need for confidentiality during discussions. The results are now being made public in accordance with our statutes.

Public part:


Simon writing report on TDF / SFC / pep / SPI / ASF for Moz foundation for Thunderbird Presents at the end of the meeting: Michael, Thorsten, Simon, Kendy, Marina, Sophie, Eike, Gabriele, Norbert, Osvaldo