Documentation/Third Party Resources
Below is a list of how-tos, tutorials, and other guides, including links to third party sites. The official user documentation is listed elsewhere. For development-related documents, go to development learning materials
Some third party publications do cost money. If you find a paid link on this page that is not marked as such, please add a simple notice: (PAID).
- Bernard John Poole's LibreOffice Tutorials for Teachers - 10-part pdf tutorial geared towards teachers and students
- BVCC Schoolhouse's LibreOffice Tutorial - Tutorial covering writer and draw
- OSSDoc.com's LibreOffice Tutorial - 4-part tutorial cover an intro, menu bars, and opening & saving documents
- How to create PDF Forms
- Writer Tutorial - Two part tutorial covering styles and tables
- LibreOffice Styles Tutorial - It introduces and exemplifies the notion of Paragraph and Character Styles, Direct Formatting, chapter rearrengement through the Navigator and automatic table of contents generation.
- Intro to Libre Office Navigator tool
- HSQLDB v 1.8 User Guide for the version of HSQLDB used by LibreOffice Base.
- http://dcparris.net/2012/07/06/connecting-libreoffice-to-postgresql-natively/ connecting LibreOffice to PostgreSQL using the native SDBC driver (0.8.1).
- https://www.devart.com/odbc/sqlite/docs/index.html connecting LibreOffice to SQLite database via SQLite ODBC driver.
- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9113961/virtualclassroom/chap8/libreoffice_base.html A LibreOffice tutorial. Primarily aimed at healthcare professionals in the UK using UMS but useful for anyone else too.
- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9113961/virtualclassroom/edin_cl1/index.html More for health care professionals in the UK using UMS.
- Base tutorial (PDF) by Mariano Casanova. Although written for OpenOffice.org Base, this tutorial should be equally useful for users of LibreOffice Base.
- http://www.scribd.com/doc/48635562/Base-Tutorial-OOo Written for OpenOffice but recommended by an expert on the Users List.
- Base a rough space for people to jot down notes about Base. Fairly unused but feel free to add notes.
We hope to develop or link to useful video tutorials. Do you know of a good one to list here? When we get enough of them, we'll start a separate wiki page.
- Great collection of short video tutorials for Writer, Calc, Draw, Base
- A major collection of video tutorials
- Firefox Personas - a quick How-To video to help you spice-up your gui (2mins)
[Note: These Firefox Personas have been moved here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/themes/
They work in LibreOffice 18.104.22.168 (17 Jul 2013)]
- Create Firefox Personas for LibreOffice 4
- CMIS - How-To get Content Management Information Systems working in LibreOffice (5-6mins)
- Edit web pages (hyperlinks)
- Show or hide page numbers (footer) on first page
- Show or hide page number (footer) on last page
- Attach comments to text ranges
- Gradient background in presentation
- Create random (word) lists
- Create your own calendar
- Make a seating plan
- Count the number of repeated occurrence in spreadsheet
- Install and uninstall LibreOffice 4 on Debian Linux
- Fill in the blanks in LibreOffice 4 - Make a cloze test
- Conditional formatting in LibreOffice 4
- LibreOffice 4 video tutorials - description of functions
- LibreOffice 4 and Xfce on Debian Linux
- LibreOffice 4 and IBus on Debian Linux - Input Chinese characters
- Video Tutorials about Free Software includes LibreOffice step-by-step tutorial
- A collection of many videos to help see how to do things in LibreOffice
- Editable PDFs. This video (by Simon Phipps) shows how to create a "Hybrid PDF".
- A spoken guide to getting the Orca screen-reader working. Not for sighted users
- Thorough course, specific for Base by TheFrugalComputerGuy:
- LibreOffice Base tutorial on how to create a relational database with forms, so you can add records without code
- Full course on Base by Sean Johnson
See the installation instructions page on the main website for current instructions for all platforms.
For Linux users, the older but very detailed wiki page is still useful:
- Installing LibreOffice on Linux (Wiki)
- See also: The old Linux readme file with full installation instructions, packaged with stand-alone LibreOffice Linux installation packages.
For advanced users:
LibreOffice vs. Microsoft Office
- LibreOffice vs Microsoft Office (Wiki)
- Excel and Calc function comparison (ODS) - Provided by Zeki Bildirici <firstname.lastname@example.org>. It is a work in progress. A new updated version of the spreadsheet is in the making.
LibreOffice vs. Apple iWork
- Language support of LibreOffice: Spell check dictionaries, hyphenation, thesaurus, grammar check, autotext, auto correct, and other extensions.
To speed up LibreOffice try the hints from this Arch link:
User profiles. Renaming the User Profile is a good way to reset to "factory defaults".
- OpenOffice for Students (PDF). Kindly donated by the author, David Paenson. Written for OpenOffice.org but should be equally good for LibreOffice. Also available in editable (ODT) format.
For corporate users
For large scale deployments and administration on multiple machines.
- Deployment and Migration (Wiki)
- http://lodahl.blogspot.com/2011/02/silent-installation-of-libreoffice-on.html written for LibreOffice on Windows Xp but can be adapted using this link about user-profiles.
- Administrators Guide. Written for OpenOffice.org 3.2.0 but should be useful as a starting point for LibreOffice administrators. Docs team has plans to update it for LibreOffice.
- Administrator's Guide (wiki format for OOo 3.2.0, but seems to still work with LibreOffice) - including deployment throughout the network and command line options on Linux, Mac and Windows. Also available in ODT and PDF.