LibreOffice Gran Canaria Hackfest 2014
The first LibreOffice Gran Canaria Hackfest will take place in the made a move to LibreOffice.on April 24-25 (Thursday and Friday). The City of Las Palmas recently
Here is a flyer for the event (English + Spanish): File:HackfestGranCanaria2014Flyer.odg
Campus de Tafira Baja
Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Edificio de Informática y Matemáticas
35017 Las Palmas, Spain
Location link: http://osm.org/go/bjdUWwxs?layers=N&m=
Getting to the venue
Most hacker will stay at Hotel Concorde (see accomodation). A shuttle bus will be there on both Hackfest days and pick us up to the venue. So if you dont want to navigate to the location on your own be ready-to-go in the lobby of Hotel Concorde at 8:50am.
The Document Foundation may be able to refund tickets to and from the Gran Canaria Hackfest, after prior approval by the organizers, under the following conditions:
- transportation and accomodation in a shared hotel room with single beds as available on location (2 hackers sharing one room)
- volunteer-first - people affiliated with a company involved in LibreOffice work will come last
- first-come-first-served - participants will get reimbursed in order of their sign-up on the wiki attendance list, until budget runs out.
- ask the organizers as soon as possible (ideally right before booking) if budget is still available. Be aware of the fact that tax law requires us to collect original receipts, so please keep them (or hand them in right there in Gran Canaria)
Please be economic and pick cheap travel - flights to Gran Canaria should still be available at a reasonable price.
For those who attended: If you'd like to request a travel reimbursal, please follow the HowTo at TDF/Policies/Refunding for the SPI refunding, and mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your documents.
The deadline for the initial batch of travel bursaries is March 16th, 2014 23:59UTC (Sunday evening). After that deadline there might still be funding served, if available, but it wont take precedence over existing promises.The deadline passed, but there is still funding available. Just enter your name and contact the organizers.
- Your laptop
- A recent build of LibreOffice
- A network-cable
- A Switch/Router
- A powerstrip
Pleas add yourself to the list as early as possible, so we can plan travels and budget.
- Alberto Ruiz (organizer)
- Bjoern Michaelsen (organizer) @Sweet5hark
- Rob Snelders
- Eike Rathke 
- Florian Effenberger
- Alexander Werner
- Markus Mohrhard
- Jacobo Aragunde Pérez
- Michael Stahl
- Víctor R. Ruiz
- Jan Holesovsky (Kendy)
If you're attending the hackfest, add your name next to what you might like to work on and feel free to add bugs.
|Bug / Area of Code or Topic||Developer(s)|
|Mailmerge bugs in Writer||Sweetshark|
If you're attending, feel free to add to the list.
Ideas from the Crowd
Feel free to add some.
- I apologize that I come up with this idea again, but the lack of proper printing (or PDF-ing) of Writer documents with comments is indeed a major draw-back for LibreOffice. Probably the lack of this feature was negatively experienced by workers of the City of Las Palmas, too ;-) . It is "Vote for Enhancement#Introduction .26 Top Ten of Requests" (DELETED) of the enhancement requests on the wiki and in fact a UX pain: AskLO 1, AskLO 2. There are only two workarounds: Printing screenshots of the document or using MS Word. Related bug entry: "Improve PRINTING capabilities of comments/notes: add possibility to print next to the text" (tdf#36815)
- Has recently been implemented by Caolán. Possible enhancement: tdf#77650
- Yes indeed, simplifying PDF export of documents with comments is necessary, so that normal end users are actually able to use it. All features are there (implemented by Caolán), but no one has added them to the PDF export dialog, yet. Please see tdf#77650 for details and an idea how it could look like. This feature is a low hanging fruit as it seems to involve mostly a small change in the UI. Like printing, PDF exporting of documents with comments is a very common use case.
- Has recently been implemented by Caolán. Possible enhancement: tdf#77650
- I would like to take a look to an old MAB, tdf#51550. I think it would be easy to fix with the current state of the code, I would just need some help (Jacobo)
- Accessibility: fix issue with comments (tdf#77682) and fix text-attributes-changed event (tdf#71556 and tdf#71558). If there's still some time, finish accessible hyperlinks implementation (tdf#35107).
- There is a great collection of bugs, comparisons and ideas about Track changes.
- What about some search improvements? It’s a bit painful that the Template Manager’s search box lacks fuzzy string matching (it only finds exact matches).
- How to proceed with Table Styles in Calc? There are currently two implementations and none is really promoted: tdf#77569, tdf#44762, tdf#44763 ▸ ▸ ▸ as well as ▸ . seems to be much more powerful and fits much better with LibreOffice's styles concept, but is quite hidden for the end user:
TDF reserved beds at:
Tomas Miller, 85
35007 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Las Palmas, Spain
from Wednesday to Saturday and we will have a shuttle bus from there to the event location at the university. Do NOT do your own booking if you want refunding from TDF. Please contact the organizers for the details or special cases. Please pair up with a room mate and notify the organizers about that.
Getting to Hotel Concorde from the airport (LPA)
When you have left the baggage pickup area, while still in the airport building turn right and take the escalator on level up to the departures level. Leave the building here. In front of the building turn right. You will see a small provisional passageway leading to other terminals in construction there. Right at the start you will find a busstop labeled "Parada No. 1 -- Las Palmas de G. C.". Wait here for a bus of line 60 that gets you to the station "Santa Catalina" (some busses of the line stop earlier). A ticket should be 2.90 EUR.
When you arrive at estacion Santa Catalina, you will be at a underground level. Take the escalator up. You are now on a city plaza (Parque Santa Catalina). For the directionally challanged, here is a hint: The harbor/coastline is to your east. Go to the north (Thats roughly the direction of the big concrete tower labeled "AC hoteles"). The first paved road you cross should be "Calle Luis Morote". Follow it westward (that is away from the coast). After a few small intersections, you cross "Tomas Miller". When you are at the intersection you already see the entrance of Hotel Concorde. All in all a 5 minutes walk from the bus station.
- Talks and Q&A with the students of the University of Las Palmas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JQqjSB2Tm4
- added a unit test for bookmark move code in Writer: 8db04e71 (Sweetshark)
- (mst) tried to add more components to esc-bug-stats.pl script 
- (mst) fixed a corner case for bug tdf#60967 core commit f5fb361df94449850a83be3b412f68e1f9b949c5
- (erAck) learned how to add a specific type of export/reimport unit tests core commit 1652b8a552bb37524d6b5c8d65f77d28b3930ba6
- discussion on how to promote TDD/more unittests for our codebase (Sweetshark, moggi)
- fix for regression tdf#74333 3b2ec449 and a371f5de (moggi)
- fix for missing undo for conditional formatting tdf#77381 f2431c94437 (moggi)
- support for make [module].slowcheck (Sweetshark, moggi)
- looked into fdo#62357, however the mailmerge wizard layout is such a mess, it likely needs a rewrite from scratch (best with unittests for a change), otherwise xkcd-1172 style regression reports will be abound, with little hope of a good fix (Sweetshark)
- Added more statistics to the BSA (ertaiNL)
- Fixed not-running cronjob for BSA-statistics (ertaiNL)
- Starting with conference-box (ertaiNL)
- Accessibility tdf#71556: patch to remove unnecessary text-attributes-changed events when typing (jacobo)
- Accessibility tdf#77682: triage issue with comments (jacobo)
- Discussion: Saving .odc files from Calc, bug or feature? moggi had added it as a chart debug tool but it will be removed, users could use it without noticing (jacobo, moggi)
- Debugging a double-free crash on cppunitcheck when running Firebird tests, follow-up to happen soon (Jacobo with M. Stahl's help - thanks!)
- Found the reason of tdf#48017, which Laszlo promptly fixed when the reason was known [thank you! :-)] (Alberto, Rafael, Kendy)
- Allow removal of individual recent documents from the Start center (Kendy)