LibreOffice FOSDEM 2014 UX Hackfest
|Dates||February 3 - February 4, 2015|
The venue is at Betacowork Coworking Brussels, 4 rue des Pères Blancs, 1040 Etterbeek. Betacowork is kindly sponsoring the venue.
Don't add yourself to the list of participants -- we are now over the limit. If you feel like it's important that you attend, please e-mail the organizer.
- Mazel, Miroslav, Organizer, Designer
- Michael Meeks, Hacker
- Andras Timar, Hacker
- Jan Holesovsky, Hacker
- Miklos Vajna
- Robinson Tryon, QA, Sometimes-hacker; (I'm particularly interested in our a11y UX issues)
- Markus Mohrhard interested in chart UX improvements, especially chart styles
- Matus Kukan
- Rob Snelders QA, Sometimes-hacker impress
- Eike Rathke, Hacker
- Florian Effenberger alien :)
- Thorsten Behrens hacker
- Bubli hacker
- Laszlo Nemeth hacker
- Gabor Kelemen translator
- Jacobo Aragunde <jaragunde at igalia dot com>, human hacker
- Tomaž Vajngerl hacker
- Stefan Knorr, design guy
- Cor Nouws bit QA, UX, l10n, sometimes simple hacks
[ Template manager - what is still missing for template/style management and maybe improved ]
[ Side bar and styles - how can we make the side bar useful to enhance and promote the use of styles (and *not* direct formatting :) ) ]
- Fridrich Strba hacker
- Tor Lillqvist, hacker
- Ahmad Harthi, UX Philosopher :)
[ Styles - I want to discuss a whole revamp for the styling system! ]
[ Shell - a shell for LO! ]
[ Shortcuts - espcially for Calc ]
[ UI mockups and improving Sifr icons ]
The venue will be open to us from 9:30 to 18:00.
If you're attending the hackfest, add your name next to what you might like to work on and feel free to add bugs.
|Mac OS X toolbar gradient (go for native-looking)|
|Combo box appearance|
|Non-printing characters||Tomaž Vajngerl|
|Fix folder hierarchy|
|Create folders with drag-and-drop|
|Split into panes|
|Styles in Properties|
|Get rid of “Insert Shapes”||Rob Snelders|
|Replace modal dialogs||Matus Kukan|
|Increasing combo box target area|
|Calc sheets/Draw layer layout and appearance|
|Cut/Copy/Paste right-click menu entires near the mouse pointer||I don't even think this is a good idea, see bug comment --erAck (talk) 2014-02-03T14:02:44 (UTC)|
|Writer: Provide obvious way to turn full-page text boundaries on/off, independent from Show non printing characters|
|Implement new ATK roles||Jacobo Aragunde|
If you're attending, feel free to add to the list.
- Font downloading/management
- Visions for each module
- Revamping the gallery
- Refreshing slide layouts
- Toolbar layout
- Triple Review & back-port Keith's HiDPI patches Development/HiDpi
- ESC bits
- sidebar tracker - lots of sidebar usability issues, but ... better to punt this lot to the UX hack-fest: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=65138&hide_resolved=1
- need design for copying styles between templates cf. http://email@example.com/msg01658.html http://firstname.lastname@example.org/msg01663.html
- preview of files in Startcenter - not only odf, but other filetypes too [ only formats that embed a preview - like OOXML ]
- no Zoom control in UI for read-only presentations (!?) ... ( and terrible defaults: should be fit-page ... )
Ideas from the Crowd
Feel free to add some.
- Custom colors in the color picker
- On Windows LibreOffice should respect/apply system's high contrast settings to its widgets, e.g. document background color, default text color etc. (Regression) (see related tdf#71511)
- Retina display support - at least artwork / pixel/doubling
- Improved (touch friendly) selection / object manipulation
- User idea: Improve/review user experience of collaborative editing"Vote for Enhancement#Introduction .26 Top Ten of Requests" : track changes (add, view, merge, print), comments (add, reply, view, print), parallel/collaborative editing (lock files, share files, compare documents). Particularly the inability of Writer to properly print comments is a UX pain: AskLO 1, AskLO 2, tdf#36815.
- Chart styles: a collection of colors, settings, chart types that play nicely together. See: Chart styles in the wiki.
- VCL documentation
- Completion while typing formula (in Calc, like ?) Cf. tdf#60245
- Get rid of some rough edges when working with a bibliography: tdf#73275 tdf#72972 tdf#72955 tdf#72936
- Make it less cumbersome to format bibliography entries: Offer various default styles (http://gcflearnfree.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/style.png?w=610) with an option to compose one manually:
- Merge the tango-testing icons into tango: https://github.com/libodesign/tango-testing
- Stop forcing ugly Tango icons set. If you want to single LibreOffice out (especially from AOO), it require much more work then appending package of GNOME icons. Galaxy color palette is bright, clear and neutral for Windows, Linux and Mac and its development should be continued.
- LibreOffice could include bundled Firefox Themes, for instance LibreOffice 2010 or Bird lovin. It makes LO more elegant. Plus default background color could be different (i.g. #72a854; preview of theme + new bg.; old one to comparison; #e0fad5 + Bird lovin)
- Calc: Add green, yellow & red default cell styles (light background with darker font in the respective color) => useful for conditional formatting
- Improve dialog that appears when one tries to add a conditional formatting to an area where there's already one applied:
The selected cell range already contains a conditional formatting [Edit existing formatting] [Create new formatting]
- Because of the gradient to (almost) white in data bars, it's sometimes hard to determine where they end. A border around them could fix that.
- Segmented controls
- Further work on Google Fonts integration
- Solve Sidebar duplication (discussed a bit here)
- Discuss/start work on themes
- Maybe a combination of the styles.xml file in and od* file and and an embedded palette? tdf#63898
- Consider whether it would be more intuitive if the tabs in the Template manager wouldn't work as filters, but rather different folders:
- Currently all folders are visible across the different filetype-categories
- Allow storing templates in the root folder of each category (document/spreadsheet/prsentation/drawing)
- Replace current default gradients with appealing ones: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/30746475/NewGradients.png?version=1&modificationDate=1373893817000&api=v2
- Implement new ATK roles: tdf#39944
- Add more default templates (maybe as translated fod*):
- Remove the 'Elements' window from Math, the new 'Elements dock' replaces it
- depends on tdf#65583
- Change default GUI with currently-existing code/framework, as shown in this mock-up. An example set of guidelines:
- Make the show/hide icon for the Sidebar more visible. This will help when editing more than one document, resizing etc.
- If possible, try and make the sidebar more responsive to resizing. In the absence of a tabbed navigation between documents being worked on, it currently impedes resizing and editing more than one document at the same time.
- Implement dark/grey flat icons.
- Change default toolbar colour to black.
- (Why? That looks very hard on the eyes.)
- Implement white flat icons for toolbar.
- Decrease number of icons on toolbar (those already present in sidebar) and remove formatting toolbar.
- Default the Find toolbar on the top toolbar.
- Change default toolbar colour to black.
- "Vote for Enhancement#Introduction .26 Top Ten of Requests" (DELETED) on the Documentfoundation wiki.
- Add UI for setting "relative from" in relatively sized TextFrames in Writer: currently "relative from page" can be only created from macros (Miklos)
- Improve font rendering performance in Linux/KDE desktop environment tdf#59818
See the FOSDEM page for relevant information.
Please add here, what you did work on during the Hackfest:
- Miklos: UI to create Writer Textframes, having a size relative from page
- Matus: tdf#74132: Replacing modal dialogs used while searching with text label in Writer and Calc
- Joren, Kendy, Tor: tdf#69358 initial work for Native OSX toolbar background
- Kendy: Start center improvements - tdf#72469 thumbnails for all file types [not only ODF], don't cut off the thumbnails when minimized, tdf#72338 show busy mouse pointer when starting apps.
- Kendy: Converted the Template manager dialog to .ui
- Andras: application background color fix in Windows high contrast themes, tdf#74489 replace '\n' to ' ' in fields (e.g. multiline headings)
- László Németh: Unicode-compliant soft hyphen handling (extending my recent fix tdf#44314 for two-character changes, like hyphenation of the Hungarian double consonant ddzs->dzs- dzs); add help for the new non-standard hyphenation support in user-defined dictionaries, important note for Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian l10n groups: now it is possible to complete the hyphenation without the modification of the TeX-like hyphenation patterns, using a default shared user-defined dictionary file (the new help text: You can use a  block instead of the = sign to specify character changes before the hyphenation break. Possible character changes: (1) Extra characters, for example tug[g]gumi results the correct hyphenation “tugg- gummi” of the Swedish word “tuggummi”. (2) Character removing specified by a digit, for example paral·lel results correct hyphenation “paral- lel” of the Catalan word “paral·lel”, removing one character before the break point. (3) Both removed and extra characters, for example cafee[2é]tje results correct hyphenation “café- tje” of the Dutch word “cafeetje”, removing two characters before the break point, and adding an extra one.); fix Graphite line breaking for Asian languages tdf#70666 (my previous Graphite fix for Western languages tdf#52540 had broken this); fix LibreLogo (program translation doesn't modify the comments).
- Tomaž: Use "light blue" for Non-printing Characters (tdf#68071)
- Michael: Re-order calc sidebars to make the formatting side bar visible by default and more prominent.
- Michael: Fixed toolbar / docking bug, where panels were lost.
- Michael: Defaulted to in-direct printing in toolbars, but left the direct print icon as a hidden option to make it easy to restore (tdf#74455).
- Jacobo: Implemented new ATK roles: ATK_ROLE_DOCUMENT_SPREADSHEET, ATK_ROLE_DOCUMENT_PRESENTATION, ATK_ROLE_DOCUMENT_TEXT, ATK_ROLE_COMMENT, ATK_ROLE_GROUPING (tdf#39944)
- Jacobo: Fixed tdf#35105: implemented UNO accessibility event to notify role changes and used it to notify the changes between paragraph<->heading.
- Jacobo: Work on 35107: detected the source of the problem but a solution has to be agreed.
- Ahmad: Fixed tdf#59329: docked panels (like navigator or styles) looks inconsistent with other borders
- Thorsten: helped Jacobo with ATK_ROLE changes, mulled over ogl stuff with Moggi & Michael, hacked on slideshowprimitives
- Bubli: converted pivot table dialog (helped by Caolan)