Board of Directors Meetings

From The Document Foundation Wiki
< TDF(Redirected from TDF/BoD Decisions.)
Jump to: navigation, search

For meetings of the Membership Committee, please see TDF/Membership Committee Meetings

Supported by talkyoo

Poweredby talykoo 88x31.png

The Document Foundation would like to especially thank talkyoo.net for their generous support with our phone conferencing system. Thanks a lot, folks!

What it's about

Discussions of the Board of Directors take place on public mailing lists. Once every two weeks, for those interested, we host a conference call on the phone, to discuss ongoing topics and recent activities directly. Everyone interested is invited to join, all callers can speak. The conference calls are open for everyone to join, following our approach to transparency and openness. Phone conferences with public participations Marketing/ConfCalls are available for marketing, and will be available for other projects soon.

Reaching the board outside regular meetings

You can always reach the board privately by mailing to info@documentfoundation.org, or (preferrably, since we're default-open) publicly by mailing to the board-discuss@documentfoundation.org public mailing list. If TDF officers can't make a call, or for ad-hoc meeting needs of TDF members, please ping one of the TDF administrators on the #tdf-infra connect via webchat IRC channel.

Some important notes

  • Although being public, these calls are not to be considered as official press statements for journalists. Journalists are invited to join, but for media Q & A, there will be separate sessions where official statements by TDF representatives are made.
  • Every call will be recorded and made available as uncut audio file to the public afterwards. If you join, you agree that you will be recorded.
  • We do not charge a fee for joining the calls. However, normal phone costs apply. Please check your provider for more details.

How to prepare yourself

  • Most topics we will discuss have been raised on our main mailing lists already, especially discuss and marketing. Please have a look at them, to stay up to date on recent activities.
  • Join our IRC channel #documentfoundation connect via webchat during the call, so in case we post links or texts, you are in the loop.

Next Call

Date and Time

The TDF BoD calls will take place every other Monday, 1400 Berlin time, starting November 6, 2017.

Important Notes

  • Contracts and obligations with third parties have to be approved by two BoD seat holders, amongst them the BoD chair, and in case (s)he cannot, the BoD deputy chair. Alternatively, a warrant can be issued by one of these.
  • Decisions need a quorum of 1/2 of the participating or represented BoD seat holders. If decisions are tied, the vote of the BoD chair (or his representative), and if not available, the vote of the BoD deputy chair (or his representative) are decisive.
  • People coming late or leaving early need to be mentioned in the minutes

Agenda for next scheduled call on November 6, 2017

Not all items might fit into each specific call, so the order should be in priority. The name in brackets shows who added that item, not who is in charge.
NOTE: Remember to open the respective pad

A. Who is keeper of the minutes?
B. Who is the session chair?
C. Who is in the call? Please give name and official role, if any
D. Is any BoD seat holder or deputy representing any BoD seat holder? (Only one representation per participant)
E. Is one of the BoD chair or BoD chair deputy in the call or represented? => If not, no quorum
F. Do we have at least 1/2 of the BoD, counting in representing deputies, in the call? => If not, no quorum
G. How many eligible voters, including represented ones, are in the call, so how many do we need for a quorum?
H. Verify correct invitation plus quorum and state that in the minutes
I. Have the decisions from the previous call been added to the appropriate wiki page already?
J. Have the minutes from the previous call been published already?
K. Have the minutes from the previous call been added to the internal WebDAV already?

Public agenda:

  1. Public agenda:

L. Ask again who is still in the call, to find missing participants

Private agenda:

recurring item: Verify number of dialled in participants with web interface (to avoid anyone else besides eligible participants are in the room)

Official BoD decisions should be added to the appropriate wiki page afterwards.

Dial-in Details

The calls take place via Jitsi at https://meet.jit.si/TDFBoard

Archives

Minutes 2018-01-08

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2018-01-08
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, January 8, 2018
Location: Jitsi

Session chair: Marina Latini (Chairwoman)
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks (Deputy Chair)

In the call: Marina (Chair), Michael (Deputy), Osvaldo (Board), Simon (Board), Kendy, Thorsten (joined 14:13), Björn (since 14:18), Florian (ED), Cor, Franklin, Italo
Representation: None

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 6 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 14:08 Berlin time.

Public agenda:

1. Discuss: FOSDEM - BoD in person meeting and MC (Cor)
   + had some joint meetings with the board in the past
   + unsure whether MC is invited or not, should make that clear
   + more people in the room often less progress (Michael)
       + not against having them there as observers.
       + board meetings should have decision makers in them (Simon)
           + no reason why MC should be invited for sake of attending
   + not so worried wrt. having MC present being lengthier (Cor)
       + if no real need to have them, no need to have them.
AI:+ ask the MC if they have something to share with us ? (Marina)
       + phrased as not so useful to have mixed meetings but if anything ... (Cor)
   + when do we meet ? (Bjoern)
       + plan to meet at 10am, Feb 5th (Florian)
       + dinner monday evening too

2. Discuss - update: "LibreOffice Conference Indonesia" and other events/workshops/activities (Franklin)
   + location in Eastern Java
       + hoster asked early.
   + mail sent to the BoD list about this.
   + starting calling for papers
   + mailing Italo - does TDF want to sponsor / have a booth
   + wants to send all attendees a certificiate on behalf of TDF: you attended the conference.
       + seems un-controversial to me (Michael)
           + plain statement of fact -> "they attended the conference"
       + no concerns (Thorsten)
       + not a real certification, just a certificate (Italo)
           + acknowledge attending.
       + conference is in March.
       => just do it, give them a signed certificate.

   + Indonesian community is very active
       + have their own distribution.
   + do we want to sponsor a booth as TDF ?
       + may need more people there.
       + who may go to Java ?
       + amount is $2k / Eur 1750
       + fine for me -> marketing to decide (Michael)
       + supportive if have marketing people there (Thorsten)
       + will make one request here (Italo)
          + 50/50 marketing & community.
       + suggest we just sponsor - rather than getting a booth (Michael)
       + keeping an eye wrt. TDF policies (Italo)

Public call ends at 14:28 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2017-12-18

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-12-18
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, December 18, 2017
Location: Jitsi

Session chair: Marina Latini (Chairwoman)
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks (Deputy Chair)

In the call: Marina (Board), Franklin (new Board), Cor (new Board), Florian (ED), Norbert (Deputy), Eike (Board), Michael (Board), Thorsten (Board), Kendy (Board), Björn (Deputy), Osvaldo (Board), Simon (Board)
Representation: None

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 14:09 Berlin time.

Public agenda:

1. Welcome to the new Board Members (Marina)

  • Franklin and Cor
  • result not yet official, wait until tonight / tomorrow
    • no challenges thus far.
  • happy to have both of you here, looking forward to FOSDEM.
  • Florian will do the onboarding
    • various administrative on-boarding tasks.
  • should we include non-selected candidates to tdf-core ? (Thorsten)
    • made rules a few years ago (Simon)
      • directors, last year's directors
      • and some older ones.
      • do we want to re-visit that ?
    • not concerned wrt. extending audience (Bjoern)
      • helpful to have people on core list to grow them into board-ness
    • more people in ML - more it is used (Kendy)
      • core some kind of private list
      • problems adding more people there.
    • goal is to broaden the base (Thorsten)
      • would like to include them going fwd.

2. Discuss: FOSDEM agenda and hotel reservation (Marina)

  • Italo trying to group book Hotel Bedford
    • unsure whether this will work out
    • ideally book yourself with cancellation option (booking.com etc.), so we can modify later if needed
    • best if everyone reserves themselves (Florian)
    • Eur 35-55/night - booked last week (Simon)
      • hotels.com
  • Agenda as announced last time:

FRIDAY, February 2
GrimoireLab Lecture & OFE Meeting
Foundations Dinner
Delirium Event

SATURDAY, February 3
FOSDEM DevRoom
FOSDEM Booth
FOSDEM Social Dinner at ICAB (coworking, already booked canteen and kitchens)

  • AB are invited already (Florian)
  • AI: work out how to extend our invite more widely (Simon)
  • Italo + Simon giving OSI Keynote Sat. morning.

SUNDAY, February 4
FOSDEM Booth

MONDAY, February 5
BoD Meeting 10-18
FOSDEM HackFest

TUESDAY, February 6
Team Meeting
FOSDEM HackFest

3. Final discuss and vote: tasks and priorities (Florian)

  • Next board call? January 1st regular slot, proposal: January 8 ?
    • agreed.

Public call ends at 14:43 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2017-12-04

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-12-04
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, December 4, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Michael Meeks (Deputy Chair)
Keeper of the minutes: Florian Effenberger (ED)

In the call: Thorsten (Board), Eike (Board), Florian (ED), Simon (Board), Osvaldo (Board), Michael (Board), Kendy (Board)
Representation: None

Chairman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 6 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 14:08 Berlin time.

Public agenda:

0. Discuss: FOSDEM Schedule (Italo)
FRIDAY, February 2
GrimoireLab Lecture
Foundations Dinner
Delirium Event

SATURDAY, February 3
FOSDEM DevRoom
FOSDEM Booth
FOSDEM Social Dinner at ICAB (coworking, already booked canteen and kitchens)

SUNDAY, February 4
FOSDEM Booth

MONDAY, February 5
BoD Meeting
FOSDEM HackFest

TUESDAY, February 6
Team Meeting FOSDEM HackFest

Please raise any objections now, so Italo can book.
AI Florian: confirm to Italo

All fine, unanimous approval


1. Discuss: List of priorities (Florian) We should discuss how to proceed with the list of priorities.

  • See GDoc.

No rankings as of now, and ~half of the items are likely on Florian's desk. Time until FOSDEM and board change is getting shorter. Proposal: Go with what we had in mind anyways, IMHO

  • A/B testing & income optimization & segmentation [Cloph, Mike, Italo]
  • documentation refresh & rapid drive to completion [Olivier, Mike, Shinnok]
  • Shared Authentication - then Single Sign On across all services [Guilhem]
  • resolve the mentor situation (development / non-development / shared?) [tender ends tomorrow]
  • CiviCRM deployment and adoption [call with service provider and some team members on December 14 for planning next steps]

and come up with a feasible list by FOSDEM, involving the new board.

Kendy joined at 14:12.

  • Thorsten: fine with that list, catches what's important
  • Michael: what's "viable Android project"?
  • Simon: we need that, but no concrete idea how to do it
  • Michael: is that financially viable or technically viable?
  • Simon: looks as if there was no technical improvement for a certain amount of time
  • Michael: GSoC project, Cloph's doing some work on TDF's behalf, but not a slick product
  • Simon: doesn't work on tablets, editing doesn't work properly; let's not only prioritize Linux desktop environments
  • Thorsten: mentions AndrOpenoffice
  • Michael: I agree, cf. also iOS version
  • Simon: sit together at FOSDEM to define our strategic mission on where we are in three year's time
  • Thorsten: we're failing badly at mentoring and volunteer inclusion
  • Simon: I don't care how we get there actually, wants a priority on the things that are strategic
  • Thorsten: writing is one thing, but no group of volunteers will just show up out of nowhere
  • Simon: agrees, but seems we've completely given up on LibreOffice for Android

AI: BoD+ED to rank the items in the GDoc spreadsheet by next board call


2. Discuss: Development Mentor (Florian)
A quick heads-up that the Development Mentor application phase ends on Tuesday and we should start interviews soon.

Public call ends at 14:28 Berlin time.

Michael Meeks (Session chair)
Florian Effenberger (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2017-11-20

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-11-20
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, November 20, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

In the meeting: Kendy, Thorsten, Osvaldo, Michael, Eike

Informal call:

Public agenda:

1. Final discuss and vote: CiviCRM

  • VOTE seemed to be ongoing, but broad consensus / no objections.
  • go ahead with it, no need for more voting.

2. Discuss: Tasks and priorities

  • punt this without Florian being here.

Minutes 2017-11-06

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-11-06
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, November 6, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the meeting: Kendy, Eike, Marina (Chair), Michael (Deputy Chair), Florian, Osvaldo, Thorsten
Representation: None

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the meeting consists of 7 seat holders and a deputy. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 6 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The meetings is quorate and the invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 14:00 Berlin time.


Public agenda:

1. Discuss: Tasks and priorities (Florian)
As shared via GDocs.

    + Marina dropped, Thorsten disappeared & re-appeared.

    + distribution of funds: waiting for Eike & Bjoern to get signatures sorted
        + have 4 accounts, 3 with funds, a couple of banks refused us.
        + mass of back & forth snail-mail.
        + Eike believes he already did this
        + deadline is end Nov.
AI:     + go through papers to try to find something (Eike)

    + download page
        + cloph finally rolled out an updated version
        + download since Friday - get a new fancy page.
        + slower than hoped for, now see some progress.
        + CiviCRM integration is next.
        + A/B testing ? (Michael)
            + piwik is tracking it, need to extract it in a way that makes sense
            + like to see that when cloph is back from vacation.

    + F-droid packaging
        + no response from existing maintainer, someone seems to do it.
            + they don't respond to E-mail.
        + if no response will step in.
        + makes sense if abandoned (Kendy)
            + Cloph mailed them twice
        + viewer is a year old
        + could we encourage Mike to reach out (Thorsten)

    + Marina returns.

    + Of top 10 tasks - non-recurring ones are mostly not done (Michael)
        + happy enough modulo download / donations (Thorsten)
        + focus should be on income stream (Florian)
            + A/B testing + locales etc.
        + concern that too much on cloph's plate of high prio. deliveries (Thorsten)
            + impression one of many things, did priority get pushed down the org ?
        + tendering caused some delay here (Florian)

    + Marina dropped again; connectivity.

    + Moving ahead:
        + coming up with some proposals 4,5,6 of these - larger items.
        + like to have CiviCRM / community involvement tasks there.
        + propose: split into two - mandatory/recurring, and discretionary prioritised
AI:     + board members to come up with a smaller number of priority tasks (BoD guys)
            + mail to Florian for aggregation & ranking
            + review at FOSDEM.

2. Discuss: LibreOffice Vanilla / iTunes proposal (Michael)
See Michael's mail from today, Friday, November 3.

    + proposal on BoD list - thoughts ?
        [ will be published as a blog later ]
        + had concerns earler in the year (Thorsten)
            + position changed; don't think there are many more options
              that TDF has - except taking over & running itself & contracting out
            + from different sides, don't think it hurts to give it the go.
            + one concern: new board, change in direction, or TDF move into app-stores
                + how should that be handled and transitioned?
            + wise that TDF spells that out with a custom TM license (Thorsten)
                + this is the TDF TM & you can use this on that app-store
                + modulo some cancellation policy; 2 yearly renewal.
                + same as for other channels ? (Michael)
                    + other app-stores / Roll-App / FlatPack / SnapStore ?
            + similar to a URL ? (Thorsten)
                + don't think we would tread on anything like Android mistake (Michael)
                + was concerned about confusion (Thorsten)
            + suggest we add: (Michael)
                + clarification of "Non Permitted Use"
                + "TDF believe that if it chooses to distribute LibreOffice binaries in an
                   app store, other distributors using the LibreOffice brand will cause
                   confusion as to the identity of the software. Such confusion to be
                   resolved within a short time-frame."
                + to the generic Trademark Policy

Public call ends at 14:45 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2017-10-23

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-2017-10-23.mp3

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-10-23
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, October 23, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the meeting: Michael (Deputy Chair), Kendy (Board), Eike (Board), Florian (ED), Marina (Chair), Thorsten (Board)
Representation: None
Regrets: Simon, Bjoern, Osvaldo

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the meeting consists of 7 seat holders and a deputy. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 5 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The meetings is quorate and the invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 3.

The meeting commences at 17:05 Berlin time.


Public agenda:

1. Discuss: feedback from the community about the conference (Marina)
    + met members, general feedback
    + community meeting - should be more official
        + should have a a draft agenda.
    + workshops
        + plan something different next year
        + organizing them in the morning & not overlapping with talks & other workshops.
        + agree workshops in parallel with talks is hard (Eike)
            + reduces interest in workshops.
    + participant list
        + make public the list of attendees - to seek out & meet people.
    + re-imbursement process
        + should clarify - particular cases, try to buy tickets directly ...
        + for those coming from far away
        + tried it in the past (Thorsten)
            + major hassle - 3 hours per person;
            + paying in advance a major pain (Florian)
                + offered in the invitation mail
                + would love to use an agency instead.
    + child care was awesome (Thorsten, Michael)
        + "great next time I bring my own kids" from several people (Thorsten)
        + a pro-entertainer of kids.
    + vote of thanks from Board to Marina, Italo & team for a great conference.
    + amazing venue (Florian)
        + acoustics not so ideal (Eike)
    + Tirana looking great (Marina)
        + garden in the middle, all rooms close together etc.
        + perhaps help out with large room / internet ?
        + get some TDF hardware ? (Thorsten)
            + similar last-minute issue in Rome (Marina)
    + Stricter time keeping / room management (Michael)
    + Build this into a check-list (Florian) -> https://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/conference
        + already exists: double-sided badges eg. (Kendy)
        + some A4 program of the day (Kendy)
            + Miklos did giggity import in the last years
            + schedule done manually, tool doesn't exist anymore.
    + Website (Marina)
        + rather hard to use UX-wise.
        + not responsive to mobile screens.
    + Sophie has an organizers check-list
AI:     + ask her to add these (Florian)

2. Discuss: community workshops: how to handle/organize them during the conference (Marina)
    + as above section on workshops
    + those proposing workshops should organize an agenda in advance - eg. for QA
       + run a QA / bug-hunting session or something more practical
       + same for marketing / localization - get a goal & an agenda & structure

3. Discuss: new BoD meeting time (Marina)

    As per Doodle, Mondays 1400 Berlin time.
AI: Send out new appointments for this slot (Florian)
 -> for the next call, let's aim for using Jitsi

Public call ends at 17:31 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2017-09-25

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-2017-09-25.mp3

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-09-25
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, September 25, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Marina (Chairwoman), Florian (ED), Kendy (Board), Simon (Board), Thorsten (Board), Michael (Deputy Chairman), Eike (Board)
Representation: None

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 6 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:05 Berlin time.


Public agenda:

1. Conference budget (Florian)

September ledgers (w/o SPI):
infra budget 32.845,75 € / 60.000,00 €
marketing 6.165,41 € / 30.000 €
community 4.338,36 € / 20.000 €
office cost 5.571,45 € / 15.000 €

There are speakers who were not on the invite list but ask for funding or whom we might want to refund.

  • Initial budget approved was 44.000 €.
  • With all the speakers factored in, we approximately have a need for 53.440 €.

Proposal: Provision up to 55.000 € in total


2. Rome board meeting (Florian)

How the Rome board meeting should take place.

Monday, October 9, 2017
at 09:30 local time
at Hotel American Palace, Via Laurentina 554, 00143 Rome, Italy

Team is in Rome there already that day.
Gabriele asked for joint MC meeting.
Having a meeting with 30 people in the room, however, might not be working out.
However, enough topics that call for an more open approach?

-> Private meeting all day? -> Parts private, then (semi-)public discussion? -> Private-only?

Public call ends at 17:16 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2017-08-14

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-2017-08-14.mp3 The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-08-14
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, August 14, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Michael (Deputy Chair), Kendy (Board), Simon (Board), Thorsten (Board), Florian (ED), Marina (Chair), Italo (TDF)
Representation: None

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 5 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 3.

The meeting commences at 17:05 Berlin time.

Public agenda:
==
1. Discuss: Support for ODF TC editor (Simon/Florian)
Regina Henschel requested sponsoring for an ODF TC editor via e-mail to info@. Simon is working on that and might have an update, parts of that possibly in the private call.

  • Proposal to support ongoing support to ODF standard
  • Supporting Red Hat's contribution to it
 -> needs to be brought to the board as a motion, but no rush

AI: have it on the agenda for next time

  • no need for action for Thorsten then

Simon leaving at 17:10.
From now on, a total of 4 Board of Directors members are attending the call.
The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 3.

2. Discuss: Opening session for LibreOffice Conference in Rome (Marina)
Some ideas on how the opening session could look like for the conference.

  + like to have people present themselves - but quickly (Michael)

The opening session of our annual conference is the perfect moment for talking with the community and an important opportunity to listen the needs of the members. Before the usual "state of the art" talk, we could organise a session "meet the Foundation" where all the BoD, MC and team will be on the stage. The meeting should be divided in two sections. In the first everyone introduce him/herself and his/her roles and activities in TDF. (Max 5 minutes per person) The second section we'll be a Q&A session with the attendees. Will be important to notice the community in time, adding this "meet the Foundation" directly in the program.

Björn joining at 17:18.
Representation: Björn for Osvaldo.
From now on, a total of 5 Board of Directors members are attending the call.
The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 3.

       + CoC topic, shunt it?
       + Thorsten warns topic is highly explosive
       + but then, not discuss it to the end
       + Proposal Michael: Moving deeper discussion to a smaller group/slot
       + Marina: If the community wants to know something, we are here to answer
         + having Q&A at the end of conference as usual might miss some people who have already left
   + who moderates it ? (Thorsten)
       + someone from the team / board etc. ? (Marina)
   + organize a review of questions before conference ? (Marina)
       + in the board meeting, wait for community questions.
       + wait for Q's - otherwise, go with prepared ones.
       + feel it is deeply unwise to discuss very polarising
         topics in the opening session (Michael)
            + nothing to hide - we should discuss everything (Marina)
            + not discussing it is really controversial too (Thorsten)

==

Public call ends at 17:25 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2017-05-08

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-05-08
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, May 8, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Marina Latini, Michael Meeks, Simon Phipps, Eike Rathke, Bjoern Michaelsen, Thorsten Behrens
Representation: Bjoern representing Osvaldo Gervasi

Chairman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 6 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:10 Berlin time.

Public agenda:

1. Discuss: jitsi/meeting tech followup & plan (Thorsten)

   + not using it today; it works with a small number of participants
   + breaks down horribly with geographically diverse participants and >5-6 people.
   + not an option / solving all problems.
   + not worth investing time in setting up a phone conference bridge there.
   + 'discord' being used by some (Bjoern)
       + using it as a Chrome app, also an Android app, packaged as a snap.
       + native on OS/X & Windows.
       + https://discordapp.com/
   + ideally needs a phone dial-in.
   + Does talkyo have something ? (Michael)
   + Matrix / Riot - any experience ? (Eike)
       + https://riot.im/  https://matrix.org/
   + Working but not Open Source and costs money: BlueJeans (Eike)
       + https://www.bluejeans.com/
       + seen it in use as a 1:n streaming solution tha
   + OSI using hangouts increasingly (Simon)
       + Google use them; probability of removing SIP dial-in is slim.
   + Pirate party - mumble >100 participants (Bjoern)
       + also have a phone bridge
       + asked them about the details - but didn't get much back.
   + Plan B -> plain phones with talkyoo ? (Michael)
       => stick with hangouts for now.
       * Meet via Hangouts primarily, with non-online callers dialled in

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)


Minutes 2017-04-10

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-04-10
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, April 10, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Michael Meeks (Deputy Chairman of the Board)
Keeper of the minutes: Thorsten Behrens (Member of the Board)

In the call: Florian (ED), Eike (Board), Michael (Deputy Chairman), Kendy (Board), Thorsten (Board), Osvaldo (Board)

Deputy Chairman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 5 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 3.

The meeting commences at 17:06 Berlin time.

Formal approval of the activity report and the financial report for 2016

Michael opens the meeting and outlines the agenda. The first action item is the approval of the annual report, which consists of the activity report and the financial report.

The activity report needs to outline how the foundation fulfilled its objectives in 2016, and that it must give an overview of its activities. The activity report will be sent to the foundation authorities and to the tax office, and will be made public on our website. The legally binding version we have to file is in German and an English version based on the German one will be published as a brochure with additional graphics.

He further explains the details of the financial report. It must likewise accurately report all accounting-relevant items and numbers, list profits and losses, and will be sent to the foundation authorities and the tax office. Like the activity report, it will also be made public on our website, alongside an English translated version. The financial report has been prepared and verified by our tax advisor based on their accounting.

The board asks to have the following vote and further discussions in private, as there is a need for confidentiality, which is unanimously agreed to. The result of this vote is now being made public in accordance with our statutes.

The public call ends 17:09 Berlin time.

Proposal: Approval of the annual activity report for 2016
Vote: 5/5
Decision: annual activity report for 2016 approved

Proposal: Approval of the 2016 closing ledger
Vote: 5/5
Decision: 2016 closing ledger approved

Proposal: Approval of the reserve building and 2017 budget
Vote: 5/5
Decision: reserve building and budget for 2017 approved

Thorsten explains that he would like ask the board to authorize Eike Rathke and himself to sign the letter of completeness ("Vollständigkeitserklärung") towards the tax advisor, and asks the boards authorize him and Eike to sign the documents for the foundation authorities and the tax office, both on behalf of the board.

Vote: 5/5
Decision: Thorsten and Eike to sign the letter of completeness ("Vollständigkeitserklärung") towards the tax advisor. Thorsten and Eike to sign the documents for the foundation authorities and the tax office, both on behalf of the board

Decision: The activity report and the financial report for 2016 are approved. The board authorizes Thorsten Behrens and Eike Rathke to sign the letter of completeness ("Vollständigkeitserklärung") towards the tax advisor, and to sign the documents for the foundation authorities and the tax office, both on behalf of the board.

Attending at the end of meeting: Florian (ED), Eike (Board), Michael (Deputy Chairman), Kendy (Board), Thorsten (Board), Osvaldo (Board)

The private call ends 17:22 Berlin time.

Michael Meeks (Session chair)
Thorsten Behrens (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2017-03-27

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-2017-03-27.mp3
The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-03-27
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, March 27, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Norbert (Deputy), Florian (ED), Michael (Deputy Chair), Marina (Chair), Simon (Board), Kendy (Board)
Representation: Norbert for Osvaldo

Chairman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4.
A total of 5 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 3.

The meeting commences at 17:04 Berlin time.

Public agenda: == 1. Discuss: Budget Ranking (Florian)

Voting on the special projects buckets.

   + some budget ranking done - with some absences.
   + have around Eur 100k or so for the ranking.
   + ranked pieces
   + missing bits ?
   + week-long hack-fest at a remote location (Marina)
       + travel in the community / marketing budget ? (Norbert)
           + and/or left over from the conference.
   + other tasks to discuss.

==

Public call ends at 17:20 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2017-03-13

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-2017-03-13.mp3
The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-03-13
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, March 13, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Eike (Board), Florian (ED), Marina (Chair), Norbert (Deputy), Kendy (Board), Thorsten (Board), Michael (Deputy Chair), Osvaldo (Board)
Representation: Norbert for Simon

Chairman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:08 Berlin time.


1. Discuss: Annual report approval meeting (Florian)
We need to schedule a formal meeting for approval of the annual activity and financial report. Sometime around mid-April comes to mind, factoring in Easter holidays.

* let's aim to have the formal meeting April 10 (regular board meeting slot, 1700 Berlin time)
* in case that's not working out, schedule two weeks later, April 24

2. Discuss: Budget Ranking (Florian)
Voting on the special projects buckets.

   + Bucket of Eur 95k for the 'Ranking' sheet of special projects
+ went through meetings.
+ hoping to organize an ODF + open standards related event Mon/Tues in Rome (Marina)
+ two days before the conference.
+ rank within the next two weeks, so we can finalize that

Public call ends at 17:40 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2017-02-27

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-2017-02-27.mp3

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-02-27
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, February 27, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Simon (Board), Michael (Deputy Chairman), Thorsten (Board), Florian (ED), Marina (Chair), Eike (Board), Andreas Mantke (Deputy), Jan Holesovsky (Board), Norbert Thiebaud (Deputy), Osvaldo (Board), Bjoern (Deputy) Representation: None

Chairman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:05 Berlin time.

Public agenda:
==
1. Discuss: joint statement with the Plone foundation and our

           service provider about the work on the LibreOffice
           extensions and templates website (Andreas)
   + talked to service provider last week
   + when we started the templates & extensions migration
   + software is GPL
   + would be good to state that we're using FLOSS to drive our business
       + in this case.
   + would like to promote an open-source case study with Plone
   + Italo should be involved, Andreas to give a board quote.
   => everyone happy - good work.

==

Public call ends at 17:10 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2017-02-13

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2017-02-13
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, February 13, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Marina (Board), Michael (Board), Norbert (Deputy), Florian (ED), Thorsten (Board), Simon (Board), Björn (Deputy), Eike (Board)
Representation: Norbert for Osvaldo, Björn for Kendy

Chairman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:05 Berlin time.


The following decision took place in private and is now published in accordance with our statutes.

1. Jan Iversen moving from contractor to volunteer end-March

During FOSDEM, the board met privately with Jan Iversen, whose company is contracted for mentoring services, to discuss the delivery of those services to TDF. It was mutually and cordially agreed to transition Jan to a volunteer role over several months.

The board including deputies therefore have unanimously agreed to terminate the commercial service contract with Jan Iversen's company, effective March 31, 2017.

Since this contractual matter is now concluded, the board agreed today to make it public. TDF would like to thank Jan for the services carried out.

Private call ends at 17:54 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

The board welcomes all enquiries on these minutes to info@documentfoundation.org


Minutes 2017-01-09

Voice recording (MP3): File:Talkyoo-2017-01-09.mp3

The Document Foundation
extraordinary Board of Directors Meeting 2017-01-09
Call Minutes

Date: Monday, January 9, 2017
Location: Phone Conference Room

Session chair: Michael Meeks
Keeper of the minutes: Florian Effenberger

In the call: Michael (Deputy Chair), Osvaldo (Board), Kendy (Board), Thorsten (Board), Eike (Board), Norbert (Deputy), Björn (Deputy), Florian (ED), Simon Phipps.
Representation: Björn for Marina

Deputy Chairman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairman or Deputy is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at the time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members or their representatives are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 17:07 Berlin time.

Public agenda:

1. Discuss: List of priorities (Florian)

AI: Florian to distill current ranking and raise possible concerns

  • propose we go with it + some concerns.
  • travel refunds is missing / not prioritized

2. Discuss: Budget 2017 (Norbert and Florian)

Need to get discretionary items included into the proposals

  • pending ESC items (Florian)
  • currently being ranked.

I (Florian) will provide updated 2016 numbers, now that the year has passed, in time for the next call next Monday.

3. Proposal for a 4 days Hackfest in Perugia from May 27-30, 2017 (Osvaldo)

The Hackfest will be open to italian developers and in particular to the Computer Science Bachelor and Master students of Perugia University. Students who will submit successfully bug patches and/or easyhacks will produce a written report, that will be reviewed by the teachers. Students who will get a positive evaluation will obtain 3 credits. Estimated Cost: 400€ travel expenses of 2 experienced developers. Accomodation covered by Dept of Maths and Comp Sci of Perugia University. Expect to have at least 10-15 able students, some just at the end of their masters.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)