Board of Directors Meetings

From The Document Foundation Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


For meetings of the Membership Committee, please see TDF/Membership Committee Meetings

What it's about

Discussions of the Board of Directors take place on public mailing lists. Once every two weeks, for those interested, we host a conference call on the phone, to discuss ongoing topics and recent activities directly. Everyone interested is invited to join, all callers can speak. The conference calls are open for everyone to join, following our approach to transparency and openness. Phone conferences with public participations Marketing/ConfCalls are available for marketing, and will be available for other projects soon.

Reaching the board outside regular meetings

You can always reach the board privately by mailing to info@documentfoundation.org, or (preferrably, since we're default-open) publicly by mailing to the board-discuss@documentfoundation.org public mailing list. If TDF officers can't make a call, or for ad-hoc meeting needs of TDF members, please ping one of the TDF administrators on the #tdf-infra connect via webchat IRC channel.

Some important notes

  • Although being public, these calls are not to be considered as official press statements for journalists. Journalists are invited to join, but for media Q & A, there will be separate sessions where official statements by TDF representatives are made.
  • Every call will be recorded and made available as uncut audio file to the public afterwards. If you join, you agree that you will be recorded.
  • We do not charge a fee for joining the calls. However, normal phone costs apply. Please check your provider for more details.

How to prepare yourself

  • Most topics we will discuss have been raised on our main mailing lists already, especially discuss and marketing. Please have a look at them, to stay up to date on recent activities.
  • Join our IRC channel #documentfoundation connect via webchat during the call, so in case we post links or texts, you are in the loop.

Next Call

Date and Time

The TDF BoD calls will take place every other Friday, 1400 Berlin time, starting March 16, 2018.

Important Notes

  • Contracts and obligations with third parties have to be approved by two BoD seat holders, amongst them the BoD chair, and in case (s)he cannot, the BoD deputy chair. Alternatively, a warrant can be issued by one of these.
  • Decisions need a quorum of 1/2 of the participating or represented BoD seat holders. If decisions are tied, the vote of the BoD chair (or his representative), and if not available, the vote of the BoD deputy chair (or his representative) are decisive.
  • People coming late or leaving early need to be mentioned in the minutes

Dial-in Details

The calls take place via Jitsi at https://jitsi.documentfoundation.org/TDFBoard

Archives

Minutes 2019-08-02

The Document Foundation Board of Directors Meeting 2019-08-02
Call Minutes

Date: 2019-08-02
Location: Jitsi

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Florian Effenberger

In the call: Franklin (board), Marina (chair), Eike (board), Florian (ED), Björn (deputy chair)
Representation: None

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairwoman or Deputy Chairman is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 4 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 3.

The meeting commences at 14:05 Berlin time.


Public part:

1. Discuss: safety improvements for events (Marina, 10 minutes)

  for more details see my previous e-mail
  "A lesson learned from openSUSE conf 2019 and an important improvement for TDF"
  Detailed proposal:
  1) the automatic defibrillator is not always a mandatory requirement in a public place or in a conference venue.
     For the TDF events I would suggest to:
     * check with the local organizers what is available
     * add to the website and to the badges some emergency info for the attendees.
  2) missing emergency information.
     I would suggest is to:
     * ask to all the attendees to print and _always_ bring during the conference a piece of paper with the following info:
         (TDF not collecting, but attendees bringing themselves)
     ** TDF to provide template/blank card
     ** Name, Surname
     ** birthdate
     ** an ID card/Passport or at least the document number
     ** the residence address
     ** an emergency contact to call
     ** any relevant medical info that could be useful to the doctors like allergies or particular health conditions relevant in case of emergency.
  3) People with BLS notions list.
     * I would suggest to:
     ** have a list of people (from TDF and the local organizers) with BLS notions
     ** guarantee that at least one person, better two, is always available in the conference venue and if possible in the rooms.
     ** populate this list also with conference attendees with BLS notions
     ** have a first emergency kit will be also a plus to have.
     * Proposal (Franklin): create a sticker to put on the badge, giving visibility to those available for first aid
  4) Organize a BLS course.
     * I would suggest to:
     ** create a list of people interested to take this course (start from employees)
     ** contact the current insurance checking if there are discounts available for this kind of trainings
     ** when/where organize the course?
     *** next in-person all-in meeting?
     *** which language?
  • add this as requirement for future CfLs (Florian)
  • Do this for BoD and MC too, or leave it mostly to conference organizers? (Björn)
  • good opportunity to share one training with many (Marina, Florian)
  • Why board or MC? Rather do trainings with all conference organizers ahead of the event. (Björn)


2. Discuss: Dedicated sponsorship program for students (Franklin, 15 minutes)

In LibreOffice Asia Conference this year we noticed that there were very few young Japanese people joining. I exchanged some thoughts with Japanese community members (like Naruhiko Ogasawara, Shinji Enoki, and Takeshi Abe) about having some promotion to universities or high schools and encourage them to contribute and propose talks to LibreOffice Conference. And from the TDF side we can reserved some dedicated budgets for these students to encourage their participation, especially from areas outside Europe (since it's cheaper to travel inside Europe, we can put a bit more ratio to areas like Latin America, Africa and Asia).

In our first idea, the local community needs to promote ODF/LibreOffice and/or hold hackfests in universities and high schools to encourage more young people joining in. And the criteria to get sponsorship can be:

a) must be a student (approve by local community) b) aged from 16-24 (can be discussed) c) the proposal to LibreOffice Conference is accepted (so we need to decide the program faster so that they can buy flight tickets, or being handled by TDF)

We can discuss the idea first, and if we agree with it we can then discuss about the amount of the budget to be reserved.

  • Do together with MC? (Marina)
  • write document together with MC describing the project, get cost estimation/budget plan
  • AI: Marina to poke Gabriele

3. Discuss: new Certification Category discussion (Michael, 10 minutes) postponed - Michael not in the meeting

Public call ends 14:30 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair) Florian Effenberger (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2019-07-18

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2019-07-18
Call Minutes

Date: 2019-07-18
Location: Jitsi

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Florian Effenberger

In the call: Franklin (board), Marina (chairwoman), Florian (ED), Thorsten (board), Kendy (deputy), Björn (deputy chairman), Cor (board) Representation: Kendy for Michael

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairwoman or Deputy Chairman is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 6 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 14:07 Berlin time.

Public part:

1. info: evaluation of the proposals for Almeria (Marina, 5 minutes)
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/projects/libocon/wiki/Talk_proposals

  + 84 proposals in total, quite nice
  + AI Thorsten: file GSoC panel
  + CfP deadline was mid-July
  + trying to accomodate eligible submissions as much as possible
  + people to book their flights soon
  + we might need more budget, Florian to follow-up via mail

Bjoern joins 14:10

2. discuss: new Certification Category discussion (Michael, 10 minutes)

  + Deferring to next time

Public call ends 14:12 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Florian Effenberger (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2019-07-05

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2019-07-05
Call Minutes

Date: 2019-07-05
Location: Jitsi

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Marina, Simon, Michael, Thorsten, Franklin, Bjoern, Florian
Representation: Simon for Cor

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairwoman or Deputy Chairman is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 6 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 14:05 Berlin time.

Public part:

0. Discuss: Almeria meeting schedule (Florian, 5 minutes)

   + Like the idea of a meeting split into two days, but how/when (Marina)
       + can't find anything that can work.
   + feedback on 1.5 - 2 days ? (Thorsten)
       + in theory - had agreement to have Monday meeting (Marina)
           + Tue afternoon - NLP meeting
       + do we need another 1/2 day ? (Thorsten)
           + would prefer two days but ...
   + as a general pattern - starting lunch on day #1 (Simon)
       + Monday, September 9 (calendar invite sent)
       + and having another day, but can't see how to fit it in.
       + suggest do a 9am to 6pm meeting etc.
       + don't let any non-board business to intrude on the day.
   + prefer to keep Sunday clear if possible (Michael)
       + tough to fit partner day in - need a separate event in future
       + perhaps with a hackfest, and the team there.
   + easier to have 2x days at FOSDEM (Marina)
       + more flexible, an dmore days there.
   + in future - ideally (Simon)
       + fly-in, start 1:30pm, have dinner, finish late on 2nd day
   + no MC bits planned for Almeria (Florian)
   + BoD only dinner for Monday evening ? (Michael)

1. Discuss: new Certification Category discussion (Michael, 10 minutes)

   + sorry to leave this lingering, can we punt again.

2. Discuss and Vote: Carbon Policy (Cor, Thorsten, Michael, 10 minutes)

  More info and details from Cor with Wednesday, July 3rd as hard deadline.
   + moved to private.

Public call ends 14:15 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2019-06-21

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2019-06-21
Call Minutes

Date: 2019-06-21
Location: Jitsi

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Marina (chair), Cor (board), Eike (board), Florian (ED), Kendy (Deputy), Simon (Deputy), Thorsten (Board), Michael (Board), Björn (Deputy Chair) Representation: Simon representing Franklin.

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairwoman or Deputy Chairman is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 14:06 Berlin time.

Public part:

1. Info: Board meetings and agenda (Marina, 5 minutes)

   + reminder - please add items to the agenda well in advance if possible.
       + deadline Sunday.

2. Discussion: Budget/guide lines for inviting members to conferences (Cor, 10 minutes)

   + proposal on the list
+ difficult subject - hard to find something better than what we have now + perhaps a bit less compensation to those we invite to the conference + so we can give some more to some others + need to cope with different travel costs / welfare / etc. / inactive communities + Cor willing to put some energy into managing this discussion + happy to invite people to give ideas. + meets the idea that we can give more people compensation + perhaps people pay 10% - min Eur 25 & max Eur 75 eg. + an E-mail reply from Franklin & someone else - wrt. tough corner cases + if there is a general idea to look at it, Cor happy to invest time. + thanks for handling the topic (Marina) + in general great to find a way to bring more contributors to the conf. + need to keep in-mind, that in theory not just money, but cultural difference + might be ok for partial re-imbursement for some + for others - might think contributions are not good enough + like to examine the topic, but need to look at all aspects. + how big is the problem anyway ? (Thorsten) + keep encouraging people, and being surprisd how few ask for travel + last year, others intended to be there from Holland (Cor) + a bit less active but - good to give them some compensation too + shared some of his compensation with them. + first did it - asked who wanted it ? (Michael) + no response, disorganized. + switched to this pro-active: we will pay ... + which works better, but not perfectly. + instead of complexity - why not just invite more ? + Sophie sent list with names (Cor) + asked is there budget for more people ? + could have added more names without being sure + dislike the idea - creates a barrier to attendance (Simon) + if concerned wrt. marginally able to come. + additionally creates a bursary fund - you can apply to. + love it (Michael) + having fractional compensation for all is unfortunate (Simon) + we want to ensure some people can attend. + a bursary fund: would need an approver a budget & a process (Simon) + Debian community has a committee + GNOME had something similar (Michael) + can we ask the MC to do this ? (Cor) + already in contact with them. + an idea to ask them if they are confirming / prolonging a membership (Bjoern) + can ask which conference they want to atteend. + someone confirms they're part of the community. + like the idea (Marina) => Cor to ask the MC if they can handle this: + Eur 5k budget for -partial- travel re-funds. => Proceeding with Sophie's list.

3. Discussion: new Certification Category discussion (Michael, 10 minutes)

   + punt it again, save time.

Public call ends 14:22 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2019-06-07

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2019-06-07
Call Minutes

Date: 2019-06-07
Location: Jitsi

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Simon, Marina, Cor, Florian, Thorsten, Kendy, Michael, Bjoern, Franklin
Representation: none, Kendy cannot

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairwoman or Deputy Chairman is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 6 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 14:05 Berlin time.

Public part:

0. Representation

   + Cor coming part-time to Collabora to fill Marketing gap on Tuesday.
   + expect Kendy can't represent for voting for now

AI: + check on situation with Mike (Marina)

   + can't vote anyway since agenda was not sent early enough
   + Simon semi-present
   + very clear Kendy can't represent someone missing (Thorsten)
       + agreed (Michael, Kendy)

1. Info: Board meetings and agenda (Marina, 5 minutes)

   + please send items on-time for the BoD call
   + and clarify discussion / vote bits for the agenda
   + agreement was to use the invitation for sending the items.
   + can't check all the ML's that we have.
   + how best to do that ? (Michael)
       + ok to reply to the invitation message adding Marina & Bjoern to CC (Marina)

2. Discuss: new Certification Category discussion (Michael, 10 minutes)

   + heated dicussion in private
   + should be kept on the agenda to discuss on a call at some stage
        + lots of other things on the agenda today.
   + no problem discussing the topic (Marina)
        + agree wrt. postponing - but ask for more details next time.
   + agree wrt. timeliness - can postpone (Thorsten)

3. Discuss: marketing strategy (Florian, 10 minutes)

   + highlight - still the discussion wrt. Marketing paper from Michael
   + talked about this at FOSDEM
   + outcome was that Simon could draft guidelines
   + feeling it's becoming more of a problem for the staff
   + like to ask the board to come to a conclusion as to what to do
   + Florian sits between the chairs here.
   + should come to a conclusion one way or another
   + some un-controversial items have been done
   + some others are completely open.
   + like a clear directive from the BoD
   + Florian feels his performance / review is affected by this too.
   + seems several problems (Thorsten)
       + individual BoD members interacting with the staff
       + is it better to have that directed through Florian
       + no issue directors talking to staff (Florian)
           + with this topic, I get conflicting messages.
           + if in doubt, poke Florian to channel the direction
           + but I don't know the direction.
   + challenge - there is no single opinion (Thorsten)
   + correct that Simon was going to write-up here (Cor)
       + Florian's request sounds fair.
       + mentioned some especially hard topics
       + would help if some that are hard & need clarification.
   + challenge we face as a board (Thorsten)
       + not likely to get that in finite time.
       + getting the hottest potatoes solved may be best way ahead
   + would be good to know where we're heading (Florian)
       + catch-22 feeling around the team

[ Simon joined the call ]

   + have a marketing paper from Michael (Marina)
       + agreement was to have something more concrete to vote on
       + was to have guidelines from Simon
          + who is not so directly involved in the ecosystem
       + hopefuly that will solve the problem from the team.
   + sounded like need positioning guidelines (Simon)
       + want to write a draft & straw-man policy
       + perhaps best fixed by sitting in a room together
         & writing it together.
       + like the approach (Marina)
           + next face-to-face is in Almeria / September.
           + will have no policy at all.
   + what do staff find difficult ? (Simon)
       + what you do for 1 ecosytem member, the other not happy (Florian)
           + if all are your bosses somehow - not easier
           + need to be clear it doesn't affect their performance rating
               + think read parts of this message between the lines.
           + not helpful to have one or the other, constant discussions
             stepping on people's toes.
       + some of the conflicts are quite contextual (Simon)
           + hard to write a policy.
           + would it be good to have an indep. member of Board (eg. me)
             to join with Mike to team together with messaging to
             understand the conflicts.
           + proposal is to take responsibility away from Mike so it's
             all Simon's fault.
       + advantage of oversight can give confidence in overall balance (Cor)
           + not easy to do vs. written words.
       + like the idea if it covers Mike and Italo (Florian)
   + ask to make case-by-case decisions in this area on marketing for next 45 days (Simon)
       + not a blank cheque (Michael)
       + willing to give lots of time on this, to get to understand it
       + want to see what the concerns are, and then argue with Michael / Thorsten
       + seems a reasonable timeline (Cor)
           + both report & proposal would be appreciated.
       + like the proposal - if only, 1 reference opinion - Simon's (Bjoern)
           + that we can diff ours against.
           + might be a good way to unlock that
       + sounds good to me (Marina)
       + minor concerns about pages we've discussed at length (Michael)
           + expect Simon will take that into account (Cor)
       + wholeheartedly +1 (Thorsten)
   => consensus on empowering Simon here.

Public call ends 14:34 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)

Minutes 2019-03-01

The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2019-03-01
Call Minutes

Date: 2019-03-01
Location: Jitsi

Session chair: Marina Latini
Keeper of the minutes: Michael Meeks

In the call: Michael (BoD), Thorsten (BoD), Marina (Chairwoman), Franklin (BoD), Florian (ED), Simon (Deputy), Cor (BoD), Björn (BoD), Eike (BoD)
Representation: None

Chairwoman of the Board is in the call. One of the Chairwoman or Deputy Chairman is required to be present or represented for having a quorate call.

The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members are attending the call.

The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.

The call is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.

The meeting commences at 14:01 Berlin time.

Public part:

0. Last-minute addition: Meeting for approval of annual report (Florian, 5 minutes)

  * send in until April 30 (in German)
  * formal meeting planned for mid-April
    -> proposals: regular meeting slot CW 15 (Friday, April 12) with fallback CW 16 before Good Friday
    + Simon in Barcelona for a conference April 12th (but a Deputy so need not be blocking).
    + can we do an E-mail vote ? (Michael)
       + can do it by E-mail yes (Florian)
           + need one formal meeeting per year
           + FOSDEM and/or LibOCon work well for that (Michael)
    AI Marina/Björn: send formal invite two weeks before as per statutes
  * report currently in writing by Italo and Mike
  * we need the final budget projects by then
  * first complete draft planned mid-March

AI: Florian to share folder link when first set of docs is there early next week
AI Florian: find out if we need a formal meeting, or a regular e-mail vote is fine

  * need to know which projects we hope to run for filing (Florian)
      + projects need naming as a line-item.

1. Discuss: Status update on extensions & templates page (Florian, 5 minutes)

  * WordPress or OpenDesktop environment, simple wiki page with linking as fallback
    * WordPress needs development work
    * service provider 1: 260 hours - with discount ~8,5k €
    * service provider 2: happy to do the job, but suggests OpenDesktop, as it's there
  * OpenDesktop
    * self-hosting possible
    * SSO question pending
    * offer consulting
    -> will try OpenDesktop first
  * Don't want something heavily customized - so not needing to maintain it
  * had a call with OpenDesktop
  * we can self-host it, rather than doing it externally.
  * Need to avoid "bus factor" - potential loss of capability by loss of a single contributor
  * Guilhelm curious wrt SSO support ?
    * linking vs. hosting - does it meet that criteria ? (Michael)
       * OpenDesktop - hosts files & releases etc.
  * interested to include volunteers (Thorsten)
    * buovjaga was in the discussion too (Florian)
    * Eager to ensure that community is included (Cor)
       * provide updates on mailing list wrt. where we're
         at to increase interest and inclusion.
       * also good to clarify the criteria - is it just portal
         or does it have storage too - a full replacement ?
          * would be a full replacement (Florian)
  => Seems good to proceed with switch to an OpenDesktop instance
     https://www.opendesktop.org/
       * Cor wants to look further at it.

Public call ends 14:18 Berlin time.

Marina Latini (Session chair)
Michael Meeks (Keeper of the minutes)