LibreOffice 6.0: Release Notes
- 1 About this page
- 2 Writer
- 3 Calc
- 4 Impress & Draw
- 5 Base
- 6 Chart
- 7 Math
- 8 BASIC
- 9 Core / General
- 10 LibreOffice Help
- 11 Filters
- 12 GUI
- 13 Online
- 14 Android
- 15 Localization
- 16 Feature removal / deprecation
- 17 Platform Compatibility
- 18 API changes
- 19 Footnotes
About this page
This is an in-progress scratch-pad of notes to build release notes from as and when we release. Please do not list features that are to be shipped already in the 5.4 release! Please do not add wish-list features that you hope will be implemented, but only what actually is implemented already.
What does a good feature look like here:
- It has a description, and a way for a busy reviewer, to find and play with the feature. Target someone who is extremely busy, and knows little-to-nothing about the product. So if a user interface element is key to the feature, be very explicit about where it is, e. g. ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ paths to the elements you changed. Of course, you know your feature is important, and that everyone should care about the Extensible AutoShapes Properties dialog – but often the guys taking the screenshots and writing the notes do not.
- It credits the main authors who did the work – just add them in brackets after the feature, where possible.
- If the feature can be shown off with a sample / test file – particularly for new import-able features, it would be wonderful to have a link to/up-load of a test file that we can use to show that feature off to best effect. That really helps us to make good screenshots to show off the features, and allows reviewers to do their testing.
Thanks in advance for your help filling this out!
- Direct cursor: Add option to insert only spaces tdf#108427 (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
- Find toolbar: Add drop down list to change search type tdf#79167 (Jim Raykowski)
- The main menu menu (top level) now has an entry “Form” tdf#91781 (Yousuf Philips)
- Page style dialog: the shown example for page orientation now adjusts properly for manual settings tdf#106890 (Heiko Tietze)
- Default column spacing (aka gutter) 0.5cm tdf#67670 (Heiko Tietze)
- Support for split sections inside tables blog entry (Miklós Vajna, Collabora)
- Improved input field behavior tdf#79877 (Bernhard Widl, CIB)
- double click on input field brings up old input fields dialog
- that dialog now starts at current field and has previous/next navigation
- Implement rotation of images in Writer to any angle tdf#73797 (Armin Le Grand, CIB)
- Writer document as mail merge data source (Miklós Vajna, Collabora)
- Mail Merge now can use XLSX files as data source tdf#98168 (Miklós Vajna, Collabora)
- Temporary connections created during mail merge are no longer stored tdf#108572 (Szymon Kłos, Collabora)
- New default table style tdf#107554 (Yousuf Philips)
- Default table style applied to inserted tables tdf#107555 (Jim Raykowski)
- Old collection of table styles was removed. New collection of table styles was added: Default, Academic, Box List Blue, Box List Green, Box List Red, Box List Yellow, Elegant, Financial, Simple Grid Columns, Simple Grid Rows, Simple List Shaded tdf#101349 (Andreas Kainz, Heiko Tietze, Yousuf Philips)
- Default table border changed to 0.5pt tdf#99027 (Yousuf Philips)
“Grammar By” spell checking
User dictionaries allow automatic affixation or compounding, supporting effective editing and technical dictionary creation in several languages. tdf#113739 (László Németh)
This is a general spell checking improvement of LibreOffice, but it can speed up especially the work of Writer users. Instead of manual handling of hundreds of correct word forms of a new word in a language with rich morphology or compounding, Hunspell spell checker will recognize the new user dictionary word with affixes or in compounds, too, based on a “Grammar By” model word. For (a simplified English) example, on the following screen shot of the “Edit custom dictionary” window, the word “crowdfund” is the new word (missing from the American English dictionary), and “fund” is the model word in the new “Grammar By” field (this more common word is part of the Hunspell spell checking dictionary). This way, the new word “crowdfund” will be recognized with suffixes of the word “fund” automatically, too: crowdfund’s, crowdfunds, crowdfunder, crowdfunders and crowdfunding.
With “Grammar By” spell checking, it will be possible to create and handle technical dictionaries more easily, using existing user interface of custom dictionaries to switch on/off them, for example, medical, technological or other scientific dictionaries shipped with LibreOffice.
Note: this feature works only in language-dependent user dictionaries, so it needs to create one or modify the language of an existing one.
Using “Grammar By” field can help a language with simple morphology, too. The word forms of “emoji” show the original work of the user dictionaries. New automatic suffixation of the other English user words allows the recognition of 5 times more correct word forms: crowdfund, crowdfunds, crowdfund's, crowdfunder, crowdfunders, crowdfunding, hackerspace, hackerspaces, hackerspace’s, hackerspacing etc. But in a language with rich compounding, like German, or in an agglutinative language, like Hungarian (where a new word can have million different correct word forms: thousands of different suffixes multiplied by thousands of compound word forms), only using “Grammar By” feature can achieve effective user dictionaries and editing.
German example: adding the known root word “Gummi”, as a model to the new word “Litschi” (lychee), other word forms of the new word are also recognized by the spell checker: Litschis (lychees), Litschibaum (lychee tree), Litschibäume (lychee trees), Litschibaumes, Litschifrucht, Litschifrüchte, Litschisaft, Litschisamen, Litschischale, Litschipflaume etc.
- Pivot table interop fixes (Mike Kaganski (Collabora), Tamás Zolnai (Collabora), Bartosz Kosiorek)
- Default 2-entry color scale conditional formatting colors changed to Yellow and Green. tdf#86508 (Yousuf Philips)
- Enhanced "Links" dialog tdf#113807 (Serge Krot, CIB)
- Number format: accept English syntax keywords; some languages use localized keywords (AAAA for YYYY in French for instance). Now these languages can use English keywords to get valid format in any UI language tdf#33689 (Laurent Balland-Poirier)
- A cell range selection or a selected group of shapes (images) can be exported to PNG or JPG graphics format with tdf#108317 (Eike Rathke (Red Hat, Inc.)) ▸ if the Selection checkbox is marked in the file dialog.
Pasting: unformatted text
- The text/plain Unformatted text format results in unquoted/unescaped content as expected for external pastes. For single cell copy&paste embedded line breaks and tabs are preserved, for multiple cells they are replaced with spaces, effectively being a tab-separated-values (TSV) format. For intra-Calc on-cell pastes using the paste special toolbar button the Unformatted text [TSV-Calc] format can be used, which preserves embedded line breaks and tabs across multiple cells. tdf#113571 tdf#32213 (Eike Rathke (Red Hat, Inc.))
- Added "Paste unformatted text" command with its hot key Ctrl+⇧ Shift+Alt+V tdf#50746 (Serge Krot, CIB)
Protection, cells, sheets
- Added new command to select unprotected cells on protected or unprotected sheet. Located tdf#95883 (Gülşah Köse, Eike Rathke) ▸ ▸ .
- If a tab is protected, the lock symbol (🔒) appears at the beginning of the tab name. tdf#95880 (Gülşah Köse, Eike Rathke)
New spreadsheet functions
- New ODFF1.2 compliant functions SEARCHB, FINDB and REPLACEB added (commit1, commit2, commit3). (Winfried Donkers)
- FINDB returns the starting position of a given text, using byte positions. FINDB is case sensitive.
- SEARCHB returns the starting position of a given text, using byte positions.
- REPLACEB returns text where an old text is replaced with a new text, using byte positions.
Impress & Draw
- Addition of 10 new Impress templates and improvement of two templates tdf#103317 (Ashisuto, Yousuf Philips, Heiko Tietze, Laurent BP)
- No confirmation dialog when images set as background, it is for the current slide only (preferably make use of Slide masters to set for more/all slides) tdf#112650 (Heiko Tietze, Samuel Mehrbrodt)
- Set default slide format 16:9 tdf#93244 (Heiko Tietze)
- Duplicate dialog ⇧ Shift+F3:
Layers in Draw
- Better UI for handling layer attributes tdf#89130 (Ulrich Gemkow):
- ⇧ Shift+click: toggle visible/hidden layer, with name in blue (like in previous versions)
- Ctrl+click: lock/unlock layer with italic name
- Ctrl+⇧ Shift+click: printable/not printable layer with underline name
Core / General
- Moving existing legacy parser contexts in sc and other modules to fast contexts and offloading unzipping and reading into a different thread (Mohammed Abdul Azeem)
- Added support for user icon themes via extension manager tdf#110742 (Caolán McNamara)
- Addition of Noto fonts (Noto Sans, Noto Serif, Noto Mono and anothers) tdf#103080 (Yousuf Philips)
- Addition of open source Hebrew fonts tdf#113538 (Yousuf Philips)
- Addition of open source Arabic fonts tdf#113532 (Yousuf Philips)
- Removal of Open Sans and PT_Serif fonts tdf#103080 (Yousuf Philips)
OpenPGP document signing and encryption
- on all desktop platforms, you can now use OpenPGP keys to sign ODF documents. tdf#89037 (Katarína Behrens, Samuel Mehrbrodt, Thorsten Behrens - CIB)
- there is (experimental) support for OpenPGP-based document encryption as well, that we hope to get into production shape until 6.0
- you need auxiliary software to make use of that feature (LibreOffice will transparently merge available keys if you have the below installed):
- Classification (TSCP-based) now allows multiple policies
- In Writer the marking and signing at paragraph level are possible
- All this is also saved in Microsoft OOXML-format.
Save images modified in place
In previous LibreOffice versions when the user tried to save an embedded image through the "Save..." entry available in the context menu, the saved image was the original one more eventually applied filters (which are not removable).
Further applied transformations like rotations, cropping, color effects were not included in the saved image.
Starting from this release, LibreOffice offers the user to choose if saving the original image or the modified version through a simple pop-up dialog.
The new feature is available in Writer, Calc and Draw. (Marco Cecchetti - Collabora)
New help online
The old wikihelp has been replaced by the new help online. The new web pages are also displayable in a mobile device (Olivier Hallot. Web design by Ilmari Lauhakangas based on the initial designs of Beatriz Fonseca and further art direction by Andreas Kainz).
- Assorted updates to the content and code. (Adolfo Jayme Barrientos, Caolán McNamara, Christian Lohmaier, Eike Rathke, Gábor Kelemen, Ilmari Lauhakangas, Jean Spiteri, Katarina Behrens, László Németh, Mike Kaganski, Olivier Hallot, Sanjaykumar Girishkumar Patel)
- Implemented a new import filter from QuarkXPress v.3, v.4. For this, the
libqxplibrary was created (Alex Pantechovskis).
- Implemented a new export filter to format EPUB from Writer. tdf#33226 [blog] (Miklos Vajna)
Improvements to OOXML filter
- Improved SmartArt import filter (Grzegorz Araminowicz)
- Now diagrams without fallback DrawingML[note 1] data are better loaded and rendered. Implemented many new SmartArt properties and layout algorithms.
- Import/export of ActiveX controls from/to DOCX format tdf#50097, tdf#91384 (Tamás Zolnai, Collabora)
- Improved support embedded text documents (DOCX/DOC) and spreadsheets (XLSX/XLS) in files DOCX/DOC tdf#108544, tdf#108545 (Szymon Kłos, Collabora):
- Embedded file opens now on full screen
- In heading of open embedded file displayed now Name_file.docx (embedded document)
- Correctly load RTL text direction tdf#87533 (Serge Krot, CIB)
- Export into DOCX and DOC all character properties applied for fields tdf#38778 (Serge Krot, CIB)
- Show digital signature status in signature line tdf#65393 (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
- Improved OOXML support in presentation files:
- Implemented PPTM (PPTX with macros) export, and of the vba streams (Jan Holesovsky - Collabora)
- Embedded videos are now exported to PPTX tdf#106867 (Jan Holesovsky - Collabora)
- DOCX export of cross-references to objects: tables, images, text frames and shapes tdf#42346 (Tamás Zolnai, Collabora)
- Use simple bookmarks and bookmark references similar how MS Word handles this kind of cross references
- Implemented all types of cross-references, except the chapter reference
- Export MailMerge fields to DOCX and DOC tdf#67207 (Mike Kaganski, Collabora)
- Improvements in the PPTX filter to prevent from creating broken files tdf#104788 tdf#112086 tdf#112088 tdf#112089 tdf#112333 tdf#112334 (Szymon Kłos, Collabora)
- Theme colors export was introduced in the PPTX (commit) (Szymon Kłos, Collabora)
- Default text frame paddings are now exported correctly tdf#113399 (Tamás Zolnai - Collabora, privately sponsored)
- Preserve font attributes and size of chart's legend, during export to MS Office documents (eg. .xlsx and .docx) tdf#108066 tdf#114173 (Bartosz Kosiorek)
Improvements in EMF+ import
Enhanced Metafile Format Plus (EMF+) import filters are used by .doc, docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt and .pptx file formats
- Fix failure of displaying ChemDraw objects tdf#31814 (Patrick Jaap, Bartosz Kosiorek)
- Add support for EmfPlusRecordTypeFillRegion record tdf#113704 (Bartosz Kosiorek)
- Implement proper reading of the EmfPlusRegionNode record tdf#113704 (Bartosz Kosiorek)
- Add support for ResetClip record tdf#113707 (Bartosz Kosiorek)
- Add support to OffsetClip record tdf#113758 (Bartosz Kosiorek)
Improvements to ODF Export
- Metafiles which were previously saved in the internal SVM (Star View Metafile) format are now accompanied by a PNG fallback graphic. This makes it easier for other ODF readers to display the graphics. (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
- All exported images are annotated with their mimetype in the ODF (attribute loext:mime-type on draw:image) (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
- Flat ODF now also has fallback graphics for SVG, PDF and Metafiles (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
Improvements to XHTML Export
- Images are now always exported in a browser-readable format (usually SVG or PNG). (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
- Height of tab bar in Calc adjusts to system font size/resolution (commit) (Bernhard Widl, CIB)
- Upper limit of user interface font size removed (was capped in relation to screen height) (tdf#113444) (Bernhard Widl, CIB)
- On Standard toolbar was added new drop-down icon Insert Special characters, that replaced old icon Insert Special characters (commit 800ac37021e3f8859)(Akshay Deep)
- The elementary icon theme, previously exclusive of Xubuntu, has been made available in all builds commit (Andreas Kainz, Yousuf Philips)
- Special characters dialog was reworked tdf#34882 (Akshay Deep, GSoC 2017; Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB); Heiko Tietze; Yousuf Philips)
- Added search field to filter symbol's table
- Added list of Recent characters
- Added list of Favorite characters
- Implemented context menu for symbol's table and Recent and Favorite characters lists
- It is now easier than ever to customize LibreOffice UI based on your needs, thanks to improved user experience and accessibility of the newly reworked Customize dialog (tdf#88896 (Muhammet Kara (Pardus), GSoC 2017; Katarína Behrens (CIB); Heiko Tietze; Yousuf Philips)
- The Menus, Toolbars, and Context Menus tabs have been revamped to provide a modern and intuitive design which is highly accessible and user friendly.
- With the well-established two-pane design of the revamped dialog, it is possible to customize toolbars, menus, and context menus following a nice work-flow, without leaving the dialog.
- A search box has also been introduced to filter the functions which can be assigned to UI elements, so you can easily and quickly find exactly what you are looking for without navigating through a list of too many categories and functions. The Keyboard tab has also got the new search box. tdf#63966
- Last but not least improvement is the cleaned-up and re-factored code under the hood, which eliminates some bugs of the past and prepares for the features of the future.
- Calc : Width and height of page style scaling mode "Fit print range(s) to width/height" can now be set to unspecified tdf#113455 (Caolán McNamara).
- Memory configuration page has been removed from Options dialog tdf#110448 (Mike Kaganski, Collabora).
Configuration Extension Manager
- Now extension installation and removal via the Extension Manager dialog (tdf#36019 (Muhammet Kara, Pardus; Heiko Tietze)
▸ ) can be dynamically enabled/disabled from the expert configurations ( ▸ ▸ ▸ ).
- This also affects the installation by double-clicking the extension file in the file manager, but doesn't affect the unopkg commands.
- When ExtensionSecurity::DisableExtensionRemoval is set in expert configurations, context menu entry of 'remove' for installed extensions is also disabled along with the "Remove" button on the dialog.
- Basic IDE main menu reorganized: some items were added, renamed and moved (commit 4378108d) (Lera Goncharuk)
- New variant of Notebookbar - Groupedbar Full for Writer, Calc and Impress (experimental feature) tdf#106035 (Andreas Kainz)
- New variant of Notebookbar - Tabbed Compact for Writer (experimental feature) tdf#107237 (Andreas Kainz)
- Use seccomp’s Berkley Packet Filters to drastically restrict the kernel APIs surface available to our contained document processes (Michael Meeks, Ashod Nakashian, Collabora)
- Support for hashed admin passwords, and loolconfig tool (Michael Meeks, Pranav Kant, Jan Holesovsky, Collabora)
- New authorization method via a custom http header via WOPI (Jan Holesovsky, Collabora)
- Extended document conversion API (Jan Holesovsky, Collabora)
- New Insert Special Characters dialog (Henry Castro, Collabora)
- State of the Change tracking is now visible in the menu via check marks (Pranav Kant, Collabora)
- Improved animation of the comments (Henry Castro, Collabora)
- Content Security Policy now includes the Referer too, for easier integration in multi-host environments (Pranav Kant, Collabora)
- New file types that can be edited were added or improved, including PDF and HTML (Ashod Nakashian, Collabora)
- Support for avatars: The integrators can specify a pictures / avatars for the users of the documents via WOPI extension. (Ashod Nakashian, Pranav Kant, Collabora)
- Find & replace dialog (in addition to the previously available Search functionality) (Aditya Dewan, GSoC)
- Support for custom buttons in the toolbar (Pranav Kant, Collabora)
- Automatic detection of links in the comments (Pranav Kant, Collabora)
- Improvements in the Admin Console (Aditya Dewan, GSoC)
- list of users of a given document
- indication whether documents are modified
- Switch to follow the editor in the list of users (Aditya Dewan, GSoC)
- Better handling of conflict between editing and uploading documents (Pranav Kant, Collabora)
- Spell checking support in all Writer, Calc and Impress (Michael Meeks, Henry Castro, Collabora)
- Status bar indicates the current language (Henry Castro, Collabora)
- Save As support + document name in the user interface (Aditya Dewan, Jan Holesovsky, Collabora)
- Improved user experience of the startup - menu and toolbar show already before the document is loaded (Henry Castro, Collabora)
- Interactive horizontal ruler (Aditya Dewan, GSoC)
- Increased amount of rows available in the Online Calc to half million (Marco Cecchetti, Collabora)
- Active cell reference (Name Box) (Marco Cecchetti, Collabora)
- Basic editing of charts (Marco Cecchetti, Collabora)
- Ability to create a new document tdf#106325 (Gautam Prajapati)
- A tab-based bottom toolbar with numerous formatting options tdf#106317 (Tomaž Vajngerl)
- Ability to load password-protected documents tdf#89175 (Ximeng Zu)
- Ability to insert pictures from taking photos, choosing local images, downloading cloud images (Google photos, Dropbox, etc.) with an option to compress the image or not tdf#106370 (Ximeng Zu)
- Page number on screen tdf#96764 (Ximeng Zu)
- Interactive Calc UI with row/column headers (Ximeng Zu)
- Row related functions e.g. insert/delete/hide/show/optimal width or height (Ximeng Zu)
- Presentation mode (Ximeng Zu)
New languages/locales with locale data
Additional languages in the language list
Available for text attribution.
- Fon [fon-BJ]. tdf#113835 (Eike Rathke (Red Hat, Inc.))
Incorporation of other languages
Improvements to proofing tools and language support
- Albanian. A new spelling dictionary is available, based on linguistic tools created by Luan Kelmendi. (Lior Kaplan and Áron Budea)
- Arabic. In locales that use the ٫ U+066B ARABIC DECIMAL SEPARATOR, the normal dot . can be used as a decimal separator alternative for input. tdf#81671 (Eike Rathke, Red Hat, Inc.)
- Bulgarian. The hyphenator was updated to version 2017.09.30 to correct hyphenation points in short words, provide many more for longer words, account for rule changes in the language, and update its encoding to UTF-8. tdf#112750 (Stoyan Dimitrov and Hristo Hristov)
- English (Australian, Canadian, British and US). Updated dictionaries to version 2017.08.24. (Marco A. G. Pinto and Kevin Atkinson)
- Tibetan. The spelling dictionary was updated to version 0.4. tdf#112065 (Elie Roux and Áron Budea)
- Hungarian. The spelling dictionary was updated tdf#95024 (László Németh)
- Spanish. The spelling dictionary was updated to version 2.2. (Ricardo Palomares)
- Slovenian. The thesaurus was updated. (Martin Srebotnjak)
Feature removal / deprecation
- The Linux Quickstarter is removed.
- Internal file pickers 'removed' (access is still possible via ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ )
- 3D model support in Impress tdf#103884
The general build and runtime baselines for Linux, Windows and macOS are now documented in the README.md of the core repository.
- This releases requires at least OS X 10.9.
- Removed support for Windows XP and Windows Vista. The minimum supported Windows version is now Windows 7 SP1.
- Program installation folder in Windows no longer contains a version number, just \LibreOffice\. tdf#62303 (Mike Kaganski, Collabora) NOTE: If a sysadmin has installed shared extensions for all users (under \LibreOffice 5.0\), they will need to be re-installed one more time when version 6.0 is deployed.
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable is required for this release, and is not installed by LibreOffice installer. The redistributable is an OS component, that comes preinstalled with Windows 10, and with a Windows Update for older Windows versions. If it is absent on user's system, it must be installed separately from Microsoft website. Installed redistributable's bitness (32- or 64-bit) must match LibreOffice's bitness (not OS bitness). Otherwise installation will succeed, but an error will be shown on program start: "The program cannot start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try to reinstalling the program to fix this problem".
- LibreOffice bitness is shown in ▸ (for 32-bit, simply "Version: 184.108.40.206" is shown; for 64-bit, "Version: 220.127.116.11 (x64)"). It is OK to install both 32- and 64-bit redistributable on single 64-bit OS in case of doubt.
- The VCL plug for the Trinity Desktop Environment integration is removed.
- Support for using the xmlsec library from the system. commit blog entry (Miklos Vajna, Collabora)
Removed configuration options
The following configuration schemas were removed:
--script-catparameter to allow dumping VBA and StarBasic macros from files to the console (Michael Meeks - Collabora)
UNO API changes
The following UNO interfaces and services were removed:
com.sun.star.xml.crypto.XMLEncryptionwas unused and removed commit
com.sun.star.resource/XResourceBundleLoaderwere removed as part of the migration from the legacy binary resource file format to gettext commit
The following UNO interfaces and services were changed:
- various previously unstable methods were published commit and C99 types "bool" and "uint64_t" were replaced with C99 types "int" and "unsigned long long" commit
- DrawingML is a language for defining graphical objects such as pictures, shapes, charts, and diagrams within OOXML documents.