LibreOffice 6.0: Release Notes
- 1 About this page
- 2 Writer
- 3 Calc
- 4 Impress & Draw
- 5 Base
- 6 Chart
- 7 Math
- 8 BASIC
- 9 Core / General
- 10 Filters
- 11 GUI
- 12 Online
- 13 Android
- 14 Localization
- 15 Feature removal / deprecation
- 16 Platform Compatibility
- 17 API changes
About this page
This is an in-progress scratch-pad of notes to build release notes from as and when we release. Please do not list features that are to be shipped already in the 5.4 release! Please do not add wish-list features that you hope will be implemented, but only what actually is implemented already.
What does a good feature look like here:
- It has a description, and a way for a busy reviewer, to find and play with the feature. Target someone who is extremely busy, and knows little-to-nothing about the product. So if a user interface element is key to the feature, be very explicit about where it is, e. g. ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ paths to the elements you changed. Of course, you know your feature is important, and that everyone should care about the Extensible AutoShapes Properties dialog – but often the guys taking the screenshots and writing the notes do not.
- It credits the main authors who did the work – just add them in brackets after the feature, where possible.
- If the feature can be shown off with a sample / test file – particularly for new import-able features, it would be wonderful to have a link to/up-load of a test file that we can use to show that feature off to best effect. That really helps us to make good screenshots to show off the features, and allows reviewers to do their testing.
Thanks in advance for your help filling this out!
- Direct cursor: Add option to insert only spaces tdf#108427 (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
- Find toolbar: Add drop down list to change search type tdf#79167 (Jim Raykowski)
- Implement rotation of images in Writer to any angle tdf#73797 (Armin Le Grand, CIB)
- “Form” top level menu tdf#91781 (Yousuf Philips)
- Writer document as mail merge data source (Miklós Vajna, Collabora)
- Temporary connections created during mail merge are no longer stored tdf#108572 (Szymon Kłos, Collabora)
- New default table style tdf#107554 (Yousuf Philips)
- Default table style applied to inserted tables tdf#107555 (Jim Raykowski)
- Old collection of table styles was removed. New collection of table styles was added: Default, Academic, Box List Blue, Box List Green, Box List Red, Box List Yellow, Elegant, Financial, Simple Grid Columns, Simple Grid Rows, Simple List Shaded tdf#101349 (Andreas Kainz, Heiko Tietze, Yousuf Philips)
- Default table border changed to 0.5pt tdf#99027 (Yousuf Philips)
“Grammar By” spell checking
User dictionaries allow automatic affixation or compounding, supporting effective editing and technical dictionary creation in several languages. tdf#113739 (László Németh)
This is a general spell checking improvement of LibreOffice, but it can speed up especially the work of Writer users. Instead of manual handling of hundreds of correct word forms of a new word in a language with rich morphology or compounding, Hunspell spell checker will recognize the new user dictionary word with affixes or in compounds, too, based on a “Grammar By” model word. For (a simplified English) example, on the following screen shot of the “Edit custom dictionary” window, the word “crowdfund” is the new word (missing from the American English dictionary), and “fund” is the model word in the new “Grammar By” field (this more common word is part of the Hunspell spell checking dictionary). This way, the new word “crowdfund” will be recognized with suffixes of the word “fund” automatically, too: crowdfund’s, crowdfunds, crowdfunder, crowdfunders and crowdfunding.
With “Grammar By” spell checking, it will be possible to create and handle technical dictionaries easier, using existing user interface of custom dictionaries to switch on/off them, for example, a language-dependent medical dictionary shipped with LibreOffice.
Note: this feature works only in language-dependent user dictionaries, so it needs to create one or modify the language of an existing one.
- Added new command to select unprotected cells on protected or unprotected sheet. Located tdf#95883 (Gülşah Köse, Eike Rathke) ▸ ▸ .
- Pivot table interop fixes (Mike Kaganski (Collabora), Tamás Zolnai (Collabora), Bartosz Kosiorek)
- A cell range selection or a selected group of shapes (images) can be exported to PNG or JPG graphics format with tdf#108317 (Eike Rathke (Red Hat, Inc.)) ▸ if the Selection checkbox is marked in the file dialog.
- Default 2-entry color scale conditional formatting colors changed to Yellow and Green. tdf#86508 (Yousuf Philips)
- Enhanced "Links" dialog tdf#113807 (Serge Krot, CIB)
- The text/plain Unformatted text format results in unquoted/unescaped content as expected for external pastes. For single cell copy&paste embedded line breaks and tabs are preserved, for multiple cells they are replaced with spaces, effectively being a tab-separated-values (TSV) format. For intra-Calc on-cell pastes using the paste special toolbar button the Unformatted text [TSV-Calc] format can be used, which preserves embedded line breaks and tabs across multiple cells. tdf#113571 tdf#32213 (Eike Rathke (Red Hat, Inc.))
New spreadsheet functions
Impress & Draw
- Addition of 10 new Impress templates and improvement of two templates tdf#103317 (Ashisuto, Yousuf Philips, Heiko Tietze, Laurent BP)
Core / General
- Moving existing legacy parser contexts in sc and other modules to fast contexts and offloading unzipping and reading into a different thread (Mohammed Abdul Azeem)
- Added support for user icon themes via extension manager tdf#110742 (Caolán McNamara)
- Added Noto fonts (Noto Sans, Noto Serif, Noto Mono and anothers) into default installation tdf#103080 (Yousuf Philips)
- Theme of icons Elementary was added in to distribution commit (Andreas Kainz, Yousuf Philips)
- Implemented a new import filter from QuarkXPress v.3, v.4. For this, the
libqxplibrary was created (Alex Pantechovskis).
- Implemented a new export filter to format EPUB from Writer. tdf#33226 [blog] (Miklos Vajna)
Improvements to OOXML filter
- Improved SmartArt import filter (Grzegorz Araminowicz)
- Import/export of ActiveX controls from/to DOCX format (Tamás Zolnai, Collabora)
- Improved support embedded text documents (DOCX/DOC) and spreadsheets (XLSX/XLS) in files DOCX/DOC tdf#108544, tdf#108545 (Szymon Kłos, Collabora):
- Embedded file opens now on full screen
- In heading of open embedded file displayed now Name_file.docx (embedded document)
- Correctly load RTL text direction tdf#87533 (Serge Krot, CIB)
- Export into DOCX and DOC all character properties applied for fields tdf#38778 (Serge Krot, CIB)
- Show digital signature status in signature line tdf#65393 (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
- Improved OOXML support in presentation files:
- Implemented PPTM (PPTX with macros) export, and of the vba streams (Jan Holesovsky - Collabora)
- Embedded videos are now exported to PPTX tdf#106867 (Jan Holesovsky - Collabora)
- DOCX export of cross-references to objects: tables, images, text frames and shapes tdf#42346 (Tamás Zolnai, Collabora)
- Use simple bookmarks and bookmark references similar how MS Word handles this kind of cross references
- Implemented all types of cross-references, except the chapter reference
- height of tab bar in Calc adjusts to system font size/resolution (commit) (Bernhard Widl, CIB)
- Upper limit of user interface font size removed (was capped in relation to screen height) (tdf#113444) (Bernhard Widl, CIB)
- On Standard toolbar was added new drop-down icon Insert Special characters, that replaced old icon Insert Special characters (commit 800ac37021e3f8859)(Akshay Deep)
- Special characters dialog was reworked tdf#109232 (Akshay Deep, GSoC 2017; Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB); Heiko Tietze; Yousuf Philips)
- Added search field to filter symbol's table
- Added list of Recent characters
- Added list of Favorite characters
- Implemented context menu for symbol's table and Recent and Favorite characters lists
- Customize dialog was reworked tdf#88896 (Muhammet Kara, GSoC 2017; Katarína Behrens (CIB); Heiko Tietze; Yousuf Philips)
- Redesign of the Menus, Toolbars, and Context Menus tabs
- Added search field to filter functions on each tab
- Cleaning up the source code
- Memory configuration page has been removed from Options dialog tdf#110448 (Mike Kaganski, Collabora).
- Basic IDE main menu reorganized: some items were added, renamed and moved (commit 4378108d) (Lera Goncharuk)
- New variant of Notebookbar - Groupedbar Full for Writer and Calc (experimental feature) tdf#106035 (Andreas Kainz)
- New variant of Notebookbar - Tabbed Compact for Writer (experimental feature) tdf#107237 (Andreas Kainz)
- Ability to create a new document tdf#106325 (Gautam Prajapati)
- A tab based bottom toolbar with numerous formatting options tdf#106317 (Tomaž Vajngerl)
- Ability to load password-protected documents tdf#89175 (Ximeng Zu)
- Ability to insert pictures from taking photos, choosing local images, downloading cloud images (Google photos, Dropbox, etc.) with an option to compress the image or not tdf#106370 (Ximeng Zu)
- Page number on screen tdf#96764 (Ximeng Zu)
- Interactive Calc UI with row/column headers (Ximeng Zu)
- Header related functions e.g. insert/delete/hide/show/optimal width or height (Ximeng Zu)
- Presentation mode (Ximeng Zu)
New languages/locales with locale data
Additional languages in the language list
Available for text attribution.
- Fon [fon-BJ]. tdf#113835 (Eike Rathke (Red Hat, Inc.))
Incorporation of other languages
Improvements to proofing tools and language support
- Albanian. A new spelling dictionary is available, based on linguistic tools created by Luan Kelmendi. (Lior Kaplan and Áron Budea)
- Bulgarian. The hyphenator was updated to version 2017.09.30 to correct hyphenation points in short words, provide many more for longer words, account for rule changes in the language, and update its encoding to UTF-8. tdf#112750 (Stoyan Dimitrov and Hristo Hristov)
- English (Australian, Canadian, British and US). Updated dictionaries to version 2017.08.24. (Marco A. G. Pinto and Kevin Atkinson)
- Tibetan. The spelling dictionary was updated to version 0.4. tdf#112065 (Elie Roux and Áron Budea)
- Hungarian. The spelling dictionary was updated tdf#95024 (László Németh)
- In Arabic locales that use the ٫ U+066B ARABIC DECIMAL SEPARATOR the normal dot . can be used as a decimal separator alternative for input. tdf#81671 (Eike Rathke (Red Hat, Inc.))
Feature removal / deprecation
- The Linux Quickstarter is removed.
The general build and runtime baselines for Linux, Windows and macOS are now documented in the README.md of the core repository.
- This releases requires at least OS X 10.9.
- Removed support for Windows XP and Windows Vista.
- Program installation folder in Windows no longer contains a version number, just \LibreOffice\. tdf#62303 (Mike Kaganski, Collabora) NOTE: If a sysadmin has installed shared extensions for all users (under \LibreOffice 5.0\), they will need to be re-installed one more time when version 6.0 is deployed.
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable is required for this release, and is not installed by LibreOffice installer. The redistributable is an OS component, that comes preinstalled with Windows 10, and with a Windows Update for older Windows versions. If it is absent on user's system, it must be installed separately from Microsoft website. Installed redistributable's bitness (32- or 64-bit) must match LibreOffice's bitness (not OS bitness). Otherwise installation will succeed, but an error will be shown on program start: "The program cannot start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try to reinstalling the program to fix this problem".
- LibreOffice bitness is shown in ▸ (for 32-bit, simply "Version: 22.214.171.124" is shown; for 64-bit, "Version: 126.96.36.199 (x64)"). It is OK to install both 32- and 64-bit redistributable on single 64-bit OS in case of doubt.
- The VCL plug for TDE integration is removed.
Removed configuration options
The following configuration schemas were removed:
--script-catparameter to allow dumping VBA and StarBasic macros from files to the console (Michael Meeks - Collabora)