Frequently asked questions - Calc
How do I open a text file containing separate fields in a spreadsheet? What if there are different field separators?
If your ASCII file is not already named with a .csv or .txt extension, rename it (preferably as .csv).
- Go to ▸ .
- In the File Type box, select: Text CSV ( *.csv; *.txt). (Note : This choice is near the bottom of the list).
- Navigate to your ASCII file and select it.
- Click on Open.
- In the Text import dialog that opens, select the correct Separator options for the columns:
- if there is a separator, choose Separated by and then enter the appropriate separator(s).
- if the columns are fixed width, choose this option and position the column dividers in the preview.
- If you are importing a data file from a stock control system, it is highly probable that the decimal separator will be a dot. In this case set the language to English (US).
If you want to combine several ASCII files into a single sheet, follow this procedure:
- Open an empty spreadsheet.
- Go to ▸ .
- Select the File Type that you want (Text CSV .txt, dbase, etc.)
- Search for the file you wish to open.
- Click on the Insert button to close the window.
- Set the parameter in the Text import window as shown above.
- Click OK.
- Repeat the procedure from 2) for the other files.
Note: If you check the Link box, the sheet will be linked when you open your spreadsheet, and you will be asked if you wish to update the link. Just click OK.