Marketing/US/Meetings/2014/June 25

From The Document Foundation Wiki
< Marketing‎ | US‎ | Meetings
Jump to: navigation, search
LibreOffice-US-logo.png
Meeting of the US Community

previous - next

Date and Time Poll (n/a)

(Click the 'English' button in the lower-right)

Date and Time 2014-06-25 20:30 EST/EDT (click for your time zone)
Chair Robinson Tryon
Started

8:44

Adjourned

9:40

Participants

Joel, Algot, Charlie, Robinson

IRC (Freenode) #libreoffice-us connect via webchat
Video Chat (WebRTC)
(Firefox unsupported)
https://meet.jit.si/libreofficeus
Etherpad libreoffice-us

Prep

  • Our next meeting will be a videochat using WebRTC (video optional)
    • Remember: Use Chromium for WebRTC (Firefox doesn't support those functions yet)
  • We'll also try to find a permanent time so we don't need to have a poll each month
  • Remember to ping Joel/Charlie/Marketing list after we get definite date and time set


Pre-meeting

Start

Put start time and attendees list in the table

Agenda

Welcome

  • How is everyone?
  • Introductions
  • Immanuel wants to add to the agenda: 'Promotion to "local civic hacking groups" and "local Linux clubs" '
  • People are well!
  • Continue what we've been doing so far w/LUGs, etc..

Completed Action Items

Outstanding Action Items

  • ACTION: Robinson will ask Design Team for help w/icons for TDF, LO, and DLP (including guidelines)
    • Asked for help; only heard back from K-J
  • ACTION: Algot/Robinson will refresh our existing designs and the DFD "open standards" leaflet in preparation for printing
    • TODO: Check-in w/Algot (Inkscape/SVG troubles)

File:Lo-document-freedom.pdf draft remake of DocumentFreedomDay flier. Lo-document-freedom-draft.svg Editable SVG (Inkscape)

  • ACTION: Check with local librarians abt. LO on computers (For all to do).
    • April 18 - Checked w/a couple Librarians. They didn't even know about it -- gave them pamphlet and stickers. (Robinson)
    • TODO: Move this ACTION item to a general methods of outreach list/wiki page.
  • We need to build-up our Design Team
  • Anyone who is interested in joining
    • Possibility of mentoring? (Robinson)
      • Not sure about mentoring (Joel)
      • We should make sure new contributors feel welcome and appreciated (Joel)

Newcomers

  • We have a state-by-state roster of our team members
    • Please add your name/contact info so we can get in touch
    • Having local contacts makes outreach possible
  • No newcomers

Infrastructure

  • ACTION: Robinson and Morgan will set up Facebook and G+ accounts for LibreOffice US Community
    • Joel will hopefully be setting the G+ page up right after the June 9 meeting
  • ACTION: Morgan will take point on social media presence/alerts
    • After setting-up, go to user list to build-up a presence
  • [DONE] ACTION: Ping cloph about testing Redmine for todo items (Robinson)
  • What's new since last month?

Swag

  • Current status
  • [1/2] Shirts -> Immanuel for PorcFest

Sample Talks/Videos

  • ACTION: Immanuel/Robinson (w/help from Italo/Charles) will prepare basic talks (Slides, Talking points) and a couple of example videos
    • These will be helpful for people doing outreach, giving short talks, etc.
  • ACTION: Charlie will proof/review these talks/materials
  • Started to work on slides for multiple talks


Events Box

  • ACTION: Joel/Robinson will assemble the parts for v1.0 of the US Events Box
    • Joel: "might be doing a large order of pamphlets for something else" -- ping him
  • PENS
  • T-SHIRTS
  • STICKERS
    • DLP - Working on sticker design
    • LibreOffice - Need to resize sticker design

Reference:

  • Would love more ideas/designs for shirts :-)
  • Examining projectors; will check out Best Buy for in-person test (Robinson)

Events

  • [DONE] ACTION: Robinson will submit a talk to All Things Open + FOSSCON
    • All Things Open was no longer accepting talks, but I did submit a 'Tools and Tips' talk to Fosscon
  • Texas Linux Fest (Austin, TX) - June 13-14 (Fri-Sat)
    • Recap of Texas Linux Fest
  • Possible Hackfests
    • Seattle, WA - After SeaGL in October 2014 (Some developer interest)
    • Austin, TX - Possibly spring of 2015 (Interested sponsors and venue)
    • Portland, OR - Sometime in 2015 (LinuxFund.org sponsoring CLS this year -- perhaps hackfest in 2015?)
  • Event calendar for the US/Help with upcoming events:
    • (No help needed) Open Source Bridge (Portland, OR) - June 24-27
    • OSCON 2014 (Portland, OR) - July 20-24 (Sun-Thu) - Have 4 helpers lined-up!
    • US Summer Hackfest (Boston, MA) - July 26-27 (Sat-Sun) -
    • http://fosscon.org/ FOSSCON Philadelphia, PA Saturday, August 9th, 2014 at the Franklin Institute - 222 N 20th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103 -
    • Fossetcon (Orlando, FL) - September 11-13 (Thu-Sat) - Could use a couple helpers!
    • All Things Open http://www.allthingsopen.org/ Raleigh, NC - Oct 22 and 23
    • SeaGL (Seattle, WA) - October 24-25 (Fri-Sat) -- Could use a couple helpers!
  • Texas Linux Fest - Gave talk, met lots of great people and orgs interested in having us back to Austin for a hackfest (Robinson)
  • Gave a talk about LibreOffice
  • Met a couple of educators interested in more documentation/tutorials (Robinson)
    • Perhaps Charlie could take point on some education-related efforts?
      • Yes, send them to me (Charlie)
      • ACTION: Round-up contact info from educators and get them in touch with Charlie (Robinson)
  • Do we have an official 2-page introductory guide to LibreOffice? (Charlie)
  • ACTION: Joel will check w/Michael re: tutorials and other pieces for introductory marketing/outreach
  • Hackfests - Possibilities
    • Feb 27-March 8 Joel could make something
    • Please let me know if you have suggestions for additional hackfests in other cities (Robinson)
      • Especially if you have connections for a Venue, Funding, cheap Lodging/Food, a contact in a University, or etc...

US Summer Hackfest

This will be our primary US event for the year...

  • [DONE] ACTION: Joel will liaise w/the developers to see who will be in the US around the time of the US Summer Hackfest
  • ACTION: Robinson/Immanuel/Morgan will work on securing venue (MIT Stata preferred?) before June 25 meeting
    • SIPB contacted. Some interest, but nobody stepping up to be the SIPB member in charge;
      • Because of summer/term change time, they're concerned about low student turnout.
      • Got a suggestion re; some other MIT groups
  • ACTION: Joel/Robinson/chicken - Arrange for t-shirts for US Summer Hackfest
    • June 23 - Have two good designs now. Still interest in contest? (Robinson)
    • Hold contest for t-shirt design? Winner gets something special (t-shirt?) (giftcard?)
    • Estimate: $290 for 25 single-color; $370 for 25 2-color
    • If we order ~100, could be ~$9/shirt
  • ACTION: Joel will arrange contest for T-shirt design
  • Status of developers? (Robinson)
    • Michael Meeks will hopefully be on-site during the event (Joel)
    • Markus/Kohei may be available on IRC during the weekend
      • Possibly also Michael Stahl
  • Hopefully will have final venue decision by end of week (Robinson)
    • Will ping Google folks back again
  • Do we need to decide on # of colors in T-shirt designs now (and put them in the contest rules)? (Robinson)
    • No, we can handle that later/reduce # of colors in design (Joel)

End

  • Recruitment and Growth: Buddy-system: Who are you going to bring to the meeting next time?
  • Closing thoughts
  • Charlie will have lunch with Phil Shapiro soon -- Social Media Maven w/OpenSource.com (Charlie)
    • Really creative. Will invite him to participate with us further.
      • Woot! (Robinson)

Announcements

End

Put meeting-adjourned time in the table

Topics

(Add topics below and reference them as #Example Topic in the Agenda/Minutes above)

Example Topic

IRC Minutes

(Done inline above)