QA/Meetings/2013/April 19

From The Document Foundation Wiki
< QA‎ | Meetings‎ | 2013
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Meeting of the QA Team

previous - next

Date and Time (UTC) 2013-04-19 13:00 UTC
Chair Joel Madero (Bjoern after Joel left)
Secretary Robinson Tryon
Started 13:02
Adjourned 14:50
Participants Florian R., Joel, Robinson, Bjoern, Joren, SteveBell


  • April 11 - Joel is looking to see if a new default time will work better for us

Agenda + Minutes


Content from the meeting itself ("the minutes") will be displayed in blue boxes like this.


  • Meeting started at: 13:02
  • Participants: Florian R., Joel, Robinson, Bjoern, Joren, SteveBell

  • Bjoern, Joren, and SteveBell joined late
  • Joel had to leave a bit early

Pending Action Items

PENDING ITEM: Attachments on FDO (Auto default)

  • [DONE] ACTION: Bjoern will follow-up with Tollef re: FDO management
  • DONE, per Joel


  • [DONE] ACTION: Joel will investigate email option and hopefully move forward with closing bugs soon
    • PUNTed from last week
  • Have the email address <>
  • Joel and Bjoern have access
  • ACTION: Joel will do 1st test of 50 bugs this week

PENDING ITEM: Documentation for Localized French BSA

  • [DONE] ACTION: Robinson will talk with Rob and Sophie about the draft language for administration of localized BSAs, and add new Action Items as necessary.
    • April 12 - Robinson consulted w/Rob and added more documentation and a table describing who is responsible for each BSA at QA/BSA/Localization.
    • Any additional docs/policy we need to create?
  • Need to find a 2nd person for each localized BSA to ensure prompt response to questions
  • ACTION: Robinson will add Charles Schultz as 2nd contact for FR BSA
  • ACTION: Joel will talk to Rob and will look for a 2nd developer for BSA code

PENDING ITEM: Contest Swag

  • [DONE] ACTION: Robinson and Joel will make a shopping list (with numbers of items and prices) that can be passed along to the BoD.
  • Robinson got prices
  • We'll need another week (facing problems of small-scale setup costs)
  • Backup plan: Just get T-Shirts for all prizes
  • ACTION: Joel will try to find a way to have a variety of prizes; will let the Board know if we go with our Backup plan.

PENDING ITEM: What to do with FDO bugs filed against Extensions, Templates

  • [DONE] ACTION: Keep discussing on lists.
  • Rainer is set as Default QA Contact for this Component
  • Bjoern: Mark as NEEDINFO and note: "Did you try to contact the developer of this extension?"
  • Joel: Use the 'Contact' link on the Extension site (will contact the admins of the site; if that produces too much email, they can suggest a new contact mechanism)
  • ACTION: Joel will try to get conversation started again
  • ACTION: Joel will (try to) contact the maintainer of the LO Extension Site again

PENDING ITEM: Certified QA Team

  • [DONE] ACTION: Joel will contact web team about this
  • PUNTed from last week
  • April 13 - Is this the same discussion as the "core team" and what we want to put on ?
  • Creating QA/Website in Silverstripe
  • April 14 - Florian R. is chomping at the bit to get started. What's holding us up?
  • Should be 'Core QA Website' or 'Core QA Team'
  • Florian R. - Website is working; holding off on publicizing the URL until it's more polished
  • Need photos for remaining Core QA Team members (don't feel pressured to submit one, if you don't want to)
  • Need bios (if people like)
  • ACTION: Joren will create macOS-specific pages
  • ACTION: Joel will create Linux-specific pages
  • ACTION: Florian R. will create Windows-specific pages
  • ACTION: Joel will ping marketing about new site

PENDING ITEM: Should we activate voting on FDO?

  • [DONE] ACTION: Bjoern will ask Tollef if we can change the text on the voting feature to something like "This bug affects me"
  • [DONE] ACTION: Bjoern/Petr: Will take this proposal to the Dev call tomorrow (April 11)
  • Bjoern - Tollef said we can activate the feature, it can be renamed, but not sure if the emails can be suppressed
  • Bjoern - If we can't suppress emails, try testing?
  • We will test the feature without publicizing it being active in order to see if emails are sent every vote
  • ACTION: Bjoern will keep shepherding the implementation of this feature

PENDING ITEM: Provide clearer help in the absence of a formal hierarchy [was "Formal Structure"]

  • [DONE] ACTION: Bjoern will create a proposal for a mailing list or email contact where people can contact the BoD or ESC and ask for help using TDF infrastructure or funds
    • (e.g. "Who can open a Talkyoo room for me to have a Design meeting?" or "How can I get $100 to do X?")
  • Bjoern - Approached BoD.
  • If someone doesn't get a response from info@tdf, try approaching someone in power/on the board directly.
    • info@tdf is still the primary contact
  • For QA-related questions, we have the contact form:
  • Joel - If we grow, we might need to revisit this plan
  • AGREED: Good enough structure for QA questions in place right now.

PENDING ITEM: Add BOLD statement to each FDO mail sent out to not reply via mail

  • [DONE] ACTION: Bjoern will ping Tollef and ask if emails can include the line: "If you reply to this bug by email, please do not quote this entire email in your reply"
  • Tollef said he will do this
  • Bjoern - We don't want to say "Don't respond via email," we just want to discourage quoting of the content of the original email.
  • ACTION: Bjoern will keep working on this feature

PENDING ITEM: Update the whiteboard/keywords page

  • ACTION: Joel will update the whiteboard/keywords page
  • Joel - No change

PENDING ITEM: How should the BugReport and Bug Documentation wiki pages be organized?

  • ACTION: Robinson will organize a separate call when Rainer, Rob, and other interested parties can figure out a plan here.
    • April 16 - Based on conversations on the QA list, this might expand into a broader discussion of how to simplify and improve QA docs in general; Starting with these bugtracker-related docs might be a good place to start.
  • Robinson - Still working on this

PENDING ITEM: Establish 'End of Life' for LibreOffice releases

  • Good discussion ongoing on the mailing list; Likely to reach consensus soon
  • [DONE] ACTION: Follow-up at next QA Meeting to make sure that we've resolved this issue
    • April 13 - Updates by Petr look good; Topic was discussed in ESC meeting and appeared to get agreement
    • Just need to display the EOL date for each minor release on the ReleasePlan page (and individual release pages).
    • April 15 - Robinson updated ReleasePlan and sub-pages per Petr's request. We're basically done here.
  • ESC was supportive of 1 month after last point release
  • Website updated

PENDING ITEM: Use an online collaborative editor for minutes so that they can be viewed as the call progresses

  • [DONE] ACTION: Robinson will investigate options and will try to use such an editor for taking minutes at the next meeting
    • April 13 - Robinson, Joel, and Joren test Etherpad Lite with much success.
      • Decently responsive
      • Includes a chat window (but we should just use IRC for now)
      • No method of making the document read-only, but let's assume everyone can act like an adult for now :-)
    • Robinson: We can use this pad as a trial run on April 19th:
      • If we don't hate the result, Robinson will ask Floeff to host the server part somewhere on TDF infrastructure.
  • People like the pad
  • Can follow-along with the meeting
  • ACTION: Joel will update the topic in the IRC channel for the next meeting to say "In meeting -- join us in Pad XXX" (etc..)
  • ACTION: Robinson will ask Floeff to install Etherpad on a TDF server somewhere.


  • ACTION: Florian R. -- Update Wikipage
  • Punt due to time

PENDING ITEM: Windows QA guys

  • [DONE] ACTION: Florian R. will lead discussion on how to encourage Windows QA guys to join our meetings
  • Basic idea was to get more Windows users into the call
  • ACTION: Joel will go to the user's list and recruit some more Windows users for our team (esp. Win8 users)


  • ACTION: Florian R. will lead discussion on proposed call section: Q&A for new triagers
  • Punt

New Action Items

NEW ITEM: Have a calendar on the wiki in GMT (Robinson)

  • We have a display of the calendar on the wiki in Berlin time - EventsCalendar
    • April 13 - Pinged Marc Pare about changing display time to GMT
      • Page is now in GMT, but events aren't appearing at the right times yet..
    • April 14 - Calendar now displaying in GMT and QA Meetings appearing at the right time (13:00 UTC)
    • Robinson considers this item DONE.
  • Big thanks to Marc Pare for helping to get this done

NEW ITEM: What to do with releases after EOL (Robinson, Joel)

  • After a release is EOL, there are several things that will change regarding QA.
    • When do we de-list the release versions from the bugtracker?
      • Robinson: I suggest we de-list 6 months after EOL. After that, we tell people filing bugs against the version to put the version # in the summary ("v3.5.6 - Old bug here..")
    • What do we tell people who want tech support? (Do we tell them to upgrade or to go find paid tech support?)
  • Joel would like to hear input from Petr, Bjoern, and Rainer
  • Bjoern - Only reason to do anything in a branch after EOL would be a security issue or a major regression in the last point release
  • AGREED: For users inquiring about tech support after the EOL date of a release, we politely indicate that the release is EOL and ask them to upgrade to a new version (or go talk to their vendor/distro/paid tech support)
  • AGREED: We de-list versions in Bugzilla 6 months after the release has been EOLed.
  • ACTION: Robinson will ping the QA list and specifically ask if Petr or Rainer have comments.

NEW ITEM: What to do about dupes when we can't find dupe # (Joel)

  • New whiteboard status? (suspect_dupe)?
  • Just mark as NEW, let dupes remain in system and ignore it
  • Just comment saying "probably a dupe"?
  • Joel - Could help us to find and collapse duplicate bugs
  • AGREED: Feel free to mark 'NEW', but add a comment at the same time "Marking as NEW because I'm quite sure that this is a dupe" (or etc...)

NEW ITEM: OS Specific Whiteboard Status (Joel)

  • If there is an OS specific bug, should we have new whiteboard stuats "OS-NAME" such as "OS-FEDORA" or "OS-W8"
  • Benefit in queries, Windows (all) not as useful sometimes
  • Relatively rare for a bug like this but they do exist
  • Bjoern - If a bug is Ubuntu-only, he usually takes it (and marks it as RESOLVED as NOTOURBUG)
  • It would be helpful to be able to create lists of Win8 or WinXP bugs so that they could be
  • Bjoern - If there are 10 bugs or more, perhaps add a whiteboard status.
  • ACTION: Joel will update the whiteboard page with new status for Win8

NEW ITEM: How to deal with Unconfirmed bugs that QA team cannot triage (Joel)

  • There are some bugs that for different reasons the small QA team cannot do (either we don't have the expertise, the exact setup, etc...)
  • Options include - emailing dev list (could be a long wait), cc'ing a dev (also might be a long wait), new whiteboard status for experienced devs to query (another whiteboard status....)
  • This came from bugs such as the set of webdav bugs that are just sitting UNCONFIRMED
  • Without a solution a serious bug might just sit unconfirmed forever
  • Joel - Sometimes you need specific software or setup (e.g. a special printer, Visio software, etc..) and can't effectively work on the bug without it
  • ACTION: Joel will add a whiteboard status 'NEED EXPERT ADVICE'
  • ACTION: Bjoern will talk about interop licenses
  • ----- Discussion moved to the potential migration to a locally-hosted installation of Bugzilla:
  • Bjoern - It's not that having a non-FDO Bugzilla is bad, it's that the migration would be very painful, and would need to be synced with releases (Around X.X.3, when bug traffic is as quiet as possible)
  • Joel - Between manpower/money, it's possibly 1 - 1.5 years away
  • ACTION: Robinson will start to investigate what steps would need to happen to migrate each integrated piece for Bugzilla

NEW ITEM: Get French BSA Operational (Robinson)

  • April 18 - Per Floeff, email problems that were plaguing us should be solved.
  • Key people: Rob, Sophie
  • What's the next step?
  • Per notes in #PENDING ITEM: Documentation for Localized French BSA, we can ping Charles and French QA Team to get the ball rolling here
  • Note: See if we can steal some of Rob's time to get any final tech pieces working
  • ACTION: Joel will coordinate next steps of getting FR BSA running

New Action Items (Proposed at the Meeting)

NEW ITEM: Regressions within a release (Bjoern)

  • Can we address regressions within a minor release (e.g. in the 3.6.x series) and determine if they predate the X.X.0 release?)
  • This would be good for marketing "We only introduced 1 regression in this release series"
  • Method: Go through the list of Regressions with the version marked X.X.1 - X.X.6 (etc..), and bibisect and/or try to repro with the X.X.0 release
  • ACTION: Robinson will talk w/Joel about a game plan to tackle these regressions



  • Bjoern might not be able to make the meeting, but will try


  • Meeting adjourned at: 14:50 (long meeting!)


(Add topics below and reference them as #Example Topic in the Agenda/Minutes above)

Example Topic