QA/Meetings/2013/December 16

From The Document Foundation Wiki
< QA‎ | Meetings‎ | 2013
Jump to: navigation, search


Meeting of the QA Team

previous - next

Date and Time (UTC) 2013-12-16 19:30 UTC
G+ Hangout [ This Meeting]
Chair Robinson Tryon
Secretary Robinson Tryon
Started (not yet)

19:35

Adjourned

21:00

Participants

Robinson, Joel, Florian R., Rob Snelders, Joren, sophi, Bjoern (joining late)

Pad http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/qa
Talkyoo Room Number 537138

Prep

Agenda + Minutes

Minutes:

Content from the meeting itself ("the minutes") will be displayed in blue boxes like this.

Before we Start

A few minutes before we officially start the call, we'll try to have a few people on hand to help assist newbies set up their teleconferencing gear, get things muted, and log on to all of our communication channels:

Start

Put start time and attendees list in the table

The State of QA

Including any Opening Discussion

  • T-shirts update:
    • More T-shirts delivered to:
      • Laszlo
    • Still en-route to:
      • Hackert, Mandal, Viehöver, Münch
  • How did the BugHunting Session 4.2.0 go?
    • Bjoern: Kiva gift cards
  • Updater news?
  • Hooray for shirts!
  • Had some interest, but didn't have many new people show up in the QA channel (or otherwise get involved) (Robinson)
    • Communicate earlier about the event (Rob)
      • Start a couple of months early, then keep up notification every couple of weeks (Joel)
    • Use a personal request/email to get someone interested/involved (Joel)
    • Banners? -- Get more advertising swag up on our website/elsewhere (e.g. reddit)
  • ACTION: Joel will come up with a timeframe for future Bug Hunting Sessions/Triage Contests
    • Let's try to have an event every 6 months

UNCONFIRMED Bugs

UNCONFIRMED bug count:

  • December 2nd: 954
  • Today (16th): 956
  • Difference: +2
  • Let's keep the number decreasing! (Robinson)
  • Anything beyond stable #'s is amazing (Joel)
    • At least 195 bugs have been triaged this week
    • Changes to the BSA may help us here in the future (Rob)

Topics for ESC?

Does anyone have any topics/concerns that I should bring to the Engineering Steering Committee (ESC)? (Robinson)

Need_Advice Bugs

Need_Advice bugs

I'm going to bring up the following bugs:

  • (Perhaps more a11y bugs?)
  • Updater: If the 'install' button isn't currently working, we should just remove it (Joel)
  • This has been broken for quite some time; Let's hide it until it can work for us
  • The notification about a new version is VERY prominent -- very in your face -- therefore many users are likely clicking it and seeing broken functionality (Joel)
  • Might be getting fixed in AOO by next release (Rob)
  • Impress Remote iOS: Fix for 4.2 or wait for 4.3 tdf#72666
  • tdf#70449 - StartCenter: it is not possible to easily navigate through recent used files with the keyboard (SteveBell)

Discussion

Pending Items

PENDING ITEM: QA Team working with Local Teams

  • [DONE] ACTION: (Sophie) will organize a meeting for RC1 with all the teams
    • Nov 29 - Sophie emailed out about an all-Teams meeting in prep for 4.2.0 release (around Dec 16-22).
    • Who will represent QA? (Possibly Robinson or Bjoern)
  • Dec 3 - Meeting will happen on Dec 16th (a few hours before this QA meeting!)
  • Beneficial to have multiple people in the call at the same time (Robinson)
  • Discussion in marketing-priv to make sure that we plan the release so that it does not interfere with FOSDEM and the new website (Sophie)
  • ACTION: Sophie will plan another meeting -- with Native-Lang teams -- for January

PENDING ITEM: Bugzilla Migration etc.

  • ACTION: Robinson/Cloph will talk to Tollef about next steps in Bugzilla migration
    • Dec 4: Cloph heard from Tollef: In planning stage, but might make some progress this weekend.

Topics to review:

  • Voting for new Bugzilla abbreviation ends at this meeting!

Older:

  • ACTION: Get Tollef to activate voting on FDO (merged item)
  • ACTION: Get Tollef to add BOLD statement to each FDO mail sent out to not reply via mail (merged item)
  • ACTION: Get Tollef to clarify 'version' label in Bugzilla (merged item)
  • ACTION: Will track the filed bug and wait to hear updates (re: Bold statement on FDO mail)
  • No update from Tollef yet (Robinson)
  • I'll need to tally final votes for abbreviations (Robinson)
    • TALLY:
      • blo (1)
      • libo (2)
      • lbz (3)
      • lob (3)
      • lo (6)
      • lobz (7)

PENDING ITEM: Bibisect Repositories

  • ACTION: Make combined bibisect repo available for testing (Robinson)
    • Dec 04 - Bibisect repo up on test server - email me for details (Robinson)
    • Figure out some way to make it easy for a separate user profile for the bibisect repo (Robinson)
    • Dec 05 - Preparing to upload to TDF server (Robinson)
    • Dec 08 - Uploads on servers; Norbert will do final setup of repo, etc..
    • Dec 11 - Testing underway (need to poke the TDF server perms to get git repo access)
  • IDEA: Add bibisect into regular Developer workflow
  • IDEA: Create graph/tool to show which builds contain a given commit
  • Have bibisect repository covering from 3.5 -> 2013-11-25 (Robinson)
  • Lots of help from Norbert

PENDING ITEM: GUI for Bibisect

  • ACTION: Punt on implementation until after we have bibisect repos up and running (All)
  • Started work on Windows Bibisect GUI (Florian R.)
    • Waiting for a test repository

PENDING ITEM: Feedback pages

  • ACTION: Sophie will create page in silverstripe
  • ACTION: Robinson will talk to cloph about getting page up (theme support?)
    • Dec 05 - Cloph will wave a magic wand over the code if we can give him HTML+CSS+JavaScript
      • I'll update the images, tweak the license, etc.. (Robinson)
        • Dec 08 - Page and license are both updated and everything is ready to go (Robinson)

References:

  • Cloph will add code/backend support to silverstripe (Robinson)

PENDING ITEM: Updates to the BSA

  • [DONE] ACTION: Remove EOL versions from the BSA and implement 'please update' message (Rob)
  • [DONE] ACTION: Ask Joel to add 4.3.0.0.alpha0+ Master (Robinson)
    • Dec 04 - Added by Joel
  • [ABANDONED] ACTION: Ask Rob to expand Windows (All) --> Windows 2k & XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8+ (Stuart)
    • Per the system requirements page, Win2k isn't supported. The rest of the Window OSes are already listed in the BSA's OS-picker, so things are looking good.
  • BSA is in good shape
  • Releases of 4.1 and 4.2 beta/rc are all that remain in the BSA (Rob)
    • If we currently offer 4.0.6 for download, should it still remain in the BSA?
    • The 4.0.6 version hasn't been removed yet because some NLP pages still link to it, per Cloph (Robinson)
  • Ask ESC?
    • Either punt on EOL until the version has been removed from the website, or make sure to remove the version from the website when EOL date arrives (Joel)
  • The last version in a release series is really only useful for enterprise environments. Most people should be migrated away from that release series by that point. (Robinson)
  • Too much text on our download page (compare with Ubuntu's page) (Joel)
  • If you're a company, you should buy L3 support; users won't have this level of support
    • The primary issue about the last version (e.g. 4.0.6) is that if there's a security issue, the user won't get a security bugfix on that major (Bjoern)
  • ACTION: Robinson will ask ESC about the issue of offering the last version in a release series as 'stable' -> filing bugs, etc..
  • A simple interface might have just 2 buttons on the Download page (and 1 link for "Other versions"); wouldn't feature portable apps or other special versions, but it's a trade-off (Bjoern/Joel)
  • Let's consider VLC's download page style (Meeks likes this one as well) (Bjoern)
  • ACTION: Joel will email out to the website mailing list asking about updating the Download page

PENDING ITEM: QA Input into website redesign

  • [DONE] ACTION: Joel will email to QA List about message we'd like to convey to Marketing/Website for community involvement
  • [DONE] ACTION: I'll check-in with Joel (Robinson)
    • Dec 08 - Joel has nothing to report (not much feedback from QA)

PENDING ITEM: Start Center and Sidebar Concerns

  • ACTION: If you try to use LibreOffice without a mouse (and using a screen reader), how is the experience? (Everyone)

Relevant tracker bugs:

  • ACTION: Robinson will get an update on the latest progress here from Stuart/a11y Team

PENDING ITEM: Fix Bugzilla attachment MIME-type problems

  • ACTION: Rob/Joren will work to finish our MIME-type-fixing script!
    • Dec 04 - Limitations in the API might prevent us from scripting the last step (updating to the correct MIME-type), but we can still create a quick-n-dirty web tool to give us a list of attachments that need to be fixed.
    • Dec 06 - I just ran into a handful of new bugs files against 4.2 that had attachments (probably uploaded w/the original bug report) that did not have the correct MIME type listed. All of these little papercuts quickly add up! (Robinson)
  • Waiting for our own bugtracker to help fix this
  • Joren and I have been working on some tools to identify and fix these
  • Had to make some improvements to the identifying scripts (Joren)
    • Fixed 300+ attachments in about an hour or 2
    • Semi-automated process: attachment is downloaded, checked using bash 'file --mime-type <filename>'. Output mimetype is verified and then copy/pasted in browser which automatically opens on the attachment edit page
  • Even after we upgrade to a patched bugzilla, it'll be good for us to have an overview of the current status of all of our attachments (Robinson)
  • It's important to do it semi-automatically so we can catch false positives (Joren)
  • We can decompress zip files/tarballs and extract more documents from there (to provide more test documents for Markus' scripts)

PENDING ITEM: Dealing with big attachments for Bugzilla

  • [DONE] ACTION: Move existing large attachments to the wiki and update docs on the wiki (Robinson)
    • Per discussion w/Floeff on the mailing list, we'll (mostly) just punt on this for now until we have our own instance and can fix it properly (robinson)
  • An okay compromise for now

PENDING ITEM: Introduction video to LibreOffice QA

  • ACTION: Mock something up/have something to show for next QA Meeting (Robinson, Joren)
  • Punt -- hopefully for next time :-)
  • PSA: If you make any LibreOffice videos, please talk with Sophie so that we can add it to our YouTube channel
    • (Also if you find other LibreOffice-related videos, please send them along, too :-)

Long-term/Frozen Pending Items

These are long-term or frozen items (i.e. on ice until something else happens) that we don't want to forget about...

PENDING ITEM: Update the whiteboard/keywords page

  • ACTION: Joel will turn this into an EasyHack and work on it (slowly)

PENDING ITEM: Most Annoying Bug List

  • ACTION: Joel will propose stricter guidelines for what qualifies as a MAB

References:

PENDING ITEM: What to do with FDO bugs filed against Extensions, Templates

  • ACTION: Joel will continue to monitor the situation

PENDING ITEM: Talk to CS Department/others at University

  • ACTION: Put up a message on the message board at his University and see who is interested (Joel)
  • Who has artistic skill to help with fliers? (Joel)
  • Who made the fliers for the 4.2 BugHunting Session? (Robinson)
    • Someone in the Brazil Team (Sophie)
    • Eliane Domingos de Sousa and Daniel A. Rodriguez
  • Try Marketing list? (Sophie)

PENDING ITEM: Hackfests

  • ACTION: USA involvement in hackfests -- (Keep on the agenda, discuss on QA list) (All)

New Action Items

All items proposed between meetings go here

NEW ITEM: Title (Author)

New Items (Proposed/Discussed at the Meeting)

NEW ITEM: Title (Author)

Announcements

End

Put meeting-adjourned time in the table

Topics

(Add topics below and reference them as #Example Topic in the Agenda/Minutes above)

Example Topic