QA/Meetings/2014/May 21

From The Document Foundation Wiki
< QA‎ | Meetings‎ | 2014
Jump to: navigation, search

(Meeting shifted to Wednesday at 17:30 UTC as a trial of a new day/time...)

Meeting of the QA Team

previous - next

Date and Time (UTC) 2014-05-21 17:30 UTC
G+ Hangout http://bit [dot] ly/LibO_QA_call_hangout
Chair Robinson Tryon
Secretary Robinson Tryon
Started

17:39

Adjourned

18:54

Participants

Joel, Robinson, Bjoern, Florian R.

Pad http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/qa
Talkyoo Room Number 537138

Prep

Agenda + Minutes

Minutes:

Content from the meeting itself ("the minutes") will be displayed in blue boxes like this.

Before we Start

A few minutes before we officially start the call, we'll try to have a few people on hand to help assist newbies set up their teleconferencing gear, get things muted, and log on to all of our communication channels:


Start

Put start time and attendees list in the table


IRC Minutes

(Talkyoo meeting today)

The State of QA

Including any Opening Discussion

  • US
    • Hackfests update --> See PENDING ITEM
  • Impress Remote:
    • Bluetooth adapters? -- all set?
  • Bugzilla migration
    • Updates...
    • Re: need to reset passwords
      • Email notification ahead of migration
      • Tweak the change-password page and the front page to indicate that people will need to reset their passwords
      • Create an 'About our new Bugzilla' video as a part of our 'Intro to QA' series
  • Bugzilla:
    • SUGGESTION: Use bugs.documentfoundation.org/ to host Bugzilla
    • We can have both LibreOffice and some of the Document Liberation Project libraries all exist as top-level products in the bugtracker
  • QUESTION: Should we refocus ourselves as the TDF QA Team (to cover LibreOffice, DLP, etc.. ?)
  • No major updates --> See later ITEMS in the agenda

Project Management:

  • What about global TODO lists? (across various TDF/LibreOffice teams) (Joel)
    • Perhaps something available via Redmine? Or a project management tool? (Robinson)
  • Looked into a few options for project management (Joel)
    • Uses "Remember The Milk" personally
    • Probably going to be the wiki for the time being
  • Bern Conference: Still possible to submit talks
    • Lots of different types of talks possible -- can just explain how something works, doesn't have to be something awesome you've done (that's good, too!)

weekly status

* https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/page.cgi?id=weekly-bug-summary.html

UNCONFIRMED Bugs

UNCONFIRMED bug count:

  • May 5th: 1086
  • Today: 1150
  • Difference: +64
  • ACTION: Joel will come up with strategies (bloggers? other marketing?) to get us under 500 UNCONFIRMED over the summer
  • We're working hard, but still more bugs pour in...
  • During the Bug Hunting Session for 4.3 (this weekend 23-25 of May), try to make sure that there's always someone in our QA IRC Channel (Joel)
  • ACTION: Write a short blog post about joining the BugHunting 4.3 session (TODO: Joel, Florian R., all)

Regression watch (Bjoern)

* Regressions in 4.3 not in 4.2
* Regressions in 4.2 not in 4.1

TODO:

  • Get Bjoern to explain this query
    • this is the regressions in the current major release, lets watch those
  • These are regressions (currently 44) in 4.2 that were not in 4.1 (Bjoern)
    • 15 in Writer
    • Q: Are these all confirmed? --> would be good to have a 'todo' list of unconfirmed regressions (Florian R.)
  • We should consider doing this for 4.3, as an early warning (Bjoern)

Topics for ESC?

Does anyone have any topics/concerns that I should bring to the Engineering Steering Committee (ESC)? (Robinson)

  • I've been traveling, so remind me of any issues for the next one...
  • Q From ESC to us: Does QA have the necessary people on hand to run the day-to-day operations of our local Bugzilla?
    • We believe so (Joel)

Need_Advice Bugs

NeedAdvice bugs

Pending Items

Quick ACTION items:

  • ACTION: Order bluetooth adapters for Joren, Joel, Florian R. (Robinson -> Floeff)
  • [DONE] ACTION: Joel will try to reschedule our May 19th call to see if there's a better time for us
    • (Rescheduled to May 21)
  • Bluetooth adapters (all going well)
  • Do we want to reschedule the QA call permanently? (Robinson)
    • Comes down to timezones, etc..
  • Wednesday earlier is best for Joel
  • 1hr earlier would be better for Florian R. (i.e. 17:30 UTC)
  • ACTION: New QA call time will be 17:30 UTC on Wednesdays (every other week), starting on June 4th

ITEMS from Joel

  • [DONE] ACTION: Send out reminder about next QA call (Day of previous call, a few days ahead, then the day-of) (Robinson)
  • [DONE] ACTION: Joel will hide extra Bugzilla versions
  • [DONE] ACTION: Joel will add/repurpose pre-bibisect version (in Bugzilla)
  • ACTION: Clarify what 'PreBibisect' version means in Bugzilla (writeup on the wiki) (Joel)

PENDING ITEM: Auto-updates for regular users and QA Testing

  • ACTION: Investigate auto-updates for regular users and/or for QA/testing purposes (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Open discussion again re:auto-update for QA on the mailing list (Robinson)
  • Related: tdf#78592 - "LibreOffice-Installation enhancement/medium NEW UI: Provide RSS feed for torrent downloads" (Joel)

PENDING ITEM: MozTrap Localization

  • ACTION: MozTrap translation (GUI and tests) continues to be high-priority for QA (Needs someone to shepherd)

To review:

  • Other project who might want to work on translating GUI w/us?

PENDING ITEM: Bugzilla Migration etc.

  • ACTION: Organize time to stress-test new Bugzilla VM (Joel)
  • ACTION: Make sure to suppress outgoing email during our testing of the test Bugzilla (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Perhaps add Simple HTTP Auth (htaccess) control restricting access to https://bugzilla-test.documentfoundation.org/ (Robinson/Norbert)
  • ACTION: Resolve url for hosting our Bugzilla instance (Joel)
    • Deal with acronym if using tdf.org url (tdf# ?)
  • We should put some kind of LibreOffice branding on the bugzilla install when migrated (Joel)
    • Norbert is okay with some minor changes here
  • Mention that we're requiring password changes to protect user privacy during migration from FDO (Joel)
  • What's better: A chat or a mailing list thread for getting the last few things done? (Robinson)
    • Perhaps set up a call (Mon/Wed times good for me) for us (Norbert, Joel, Robinson, ....Rob, Joren, ?) (Joel)
      • ACTION: Set up call and/or thread(s) with the useful people on a mailing list (Robinson)
  • We have multiple projects under TDF (LibreOffice, DLP), and multiple related to LO (LibreOffice, Impress Remotes), so this will need to be considered re: our bugtracker (Robinson)

PENDING ITEM: Bibisect Repositories

  • ACTION: Chat w/Bjoern, etc... re: updates to bibisect repos (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Make combined bibisect repo available for testing (Bjoern) + Provide better docs
  • ACTION: Provide documentation for mac bibisect on wiki (Bjoern)
    • Bjoern's done some work here... get update from him.

To review:

  • IDEA: Add bibisect into regular Developer workflow
  • IDEA: Create graph/tool to show which builds contain a given commit
  • 4.3 bibisect repo: Have 2 adjoining 4.3 repos for now (but hope to merge later) - (Bjoern)
  • Very difficult to extend bibisect repo back to our OOo branchpoint
  • We can also do the final step (testing with 3.3.0) separately (Robinson)
    • This would be a good task for those who don't want (or can't) use bibisect (Bjoern)

PENDING ITEM: GUI for Bibisect

  • ACTION:' Florian R. will make bibisect-gui work on Ubuntu....with Joel
  • ACTION Review BibiGUI -- any Windows/C# Python volunteer dev (Bjoern)
  • ACTION: Throw something at me [Robinson] if I forget [to poke at Python...] (Florian R.)

Related:

  • ACTION: SI-GUI: Contact the people running "interesting" Windows tinderboxes and ask for their assistance (Florian R.)
  • Florian R. --> Still looking for assistance from the tinderbox owners (emailed QA and Dev lists) with naming of
  • TDF has an extra buildbot that can be used for either tb or dev box (Bjoern)
    • Desktop form-factor, a bit louder than any laptop; a pretty powerful machine (Builds LO from scratch in ~1hr)
    • Bjoern would be happy to bring it to a hackfest

PENDING ITEM: Feedback pages

  • ACTION: Sophie will shepherd native-lang versions of Feedback page

To review:

  • Next steps for NL versions (bug #?)

PENDING ITEM: EOL, Release series, and Stable versions

  • ACTION: We'll wait and see if the Fresh vs. Stable (esque) language ends up in the updater (Robinson)
    • May 5th - Punting to see until updater is fixed
  • ACTION: Joel will start a thread on the QA list where we can bring up concerns
  • Ongoing conversation -- mostly on Marketing list

PENDING ITEM: Planning Regular QA Events

  • ACTION: Create a wiki page that mirrors our Release Plan page to try to coordinate QA events in conjunction with our release cycle (Joel)
  • Punt

PENDING ITEM: Daily builds for all platforms

  • ACTION: Robinson will take point on making sure we get daily builds for win/mac/linux

PENDING ITEM: Hackfests

  • ACTION: USA involvement in hackfests -- (Keep on the agenda, discuss on QA list) (All)
  • ACTION: Joel & Robinson will chat about Boston

Update on:

  • Potential Hackfest in Boston in July
    • State of QA Documentation?
  • Other Events: (School in Pennsylvania)?
  • Hoping to have multiple developers present (Joel)
  • Would like to have multiple people interested in QA as well!

Long-term/Frozen Pending Items

These are long-term or frozen items (i.e. on ice until something else happens) that we don't want to forget about...

PENDING ITEM: US Merch Store

  • (Future progress)


PENDING ITEM: Update the whiteboard/keywords page

  • ACTION: Joel will work on tdf#71761 - Cleanup Whiteboard Wiki Page slowly.

PENDING ITEM: Most Annoying Bug List

  • ACTION: Joel will propose stricter guidelines for what qualifies as a MAB

To review:

  • How is the test going? (using the 'Priority' field in Bugzilla)

References:

  • MAB Tool - Server/service down for now

PENDING ITEM: What to do with FDO bugs filed against Extensions, Templates

  • [SUPERSEDED] ACTION: Joel will update our docs for how to report Extension bugs

UPDATE:

  • DONE and Done

PENDING ITEM: Talk to CS Department/others at University

  • ACTION: Put up a message on the message board at his University and see who is interested (Joel)

New Action Items

All items proposed between meetings go here

New Items (Proposed/Discussed at the Meeting)

NEW ITEM: Title (Author)

Announcements

  • ANNOUNCEMENT: Our next meeting will take place... June 2nd (Monday) at 18:30 UTC, unless otherwise noted on the QA/Mailing List.

End

Put meeting-adjourned time in the table

Topics

(Add topics below and reference them as #Example Topic in the Agenda/Minutes above)

Example Topic