QA/Meetings/2014/June 04

From The Document Foundation Wiki
< QA‎ | Meetings‎ | 2014
Jump to: navigation, search

(Remember: Meeting shifted to Wednesday at 17:30 UTC at the new day/time...)

Meeting of the QA Team

previous - next

Date and Time (UTC) 2014-06-04 17:30 UTC
G+ Hangout http://bit [dot] ly/LibO_QA_call_hangout
Chair Robinson Tryon
Secretary Robinson Tryon
Started

17:37

Adjourned

19:34

Participants

Joel, Robinson, Florian R., Joren, Bjoern, Jay

Pad http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/qa
Talkyoo Room Number 537138

Prep

Agenda + Minutes

Minutes:

Content from the meeting itself ("the minutes") will be displayed in blue boxes like this.

Before we Start

A few minutes before we officially start the call, we'll try to have a few people on hand to help assist newbies set up their teleconferencing gear, get things muted, and log on to all of our communication channels:


Start

Put start time and attendees list in the table


IRC Minutes

(Talkyoo meeting today)

The State of QA

Including any Opening Discussion

  • US
    • Hackfests update --> See PENDING ITEM
  • Impress Remote:
    • Bluetooth adapters?
  • xx- Bugzilla migration
    • Updates...
    • Re: need to reset passwords
      • Email notification ahead of migration
      • Tweak the change-password page and the front page to indicate that people will need to reset their passwords
      • Create an 'About our new Bugzilla' video as a part of our 'Intro to QA' series
  • Bugzilla:
    • SUGGESTION: Use bugs.documentfoundation.org/ to host Bugzilla
    • We can have both LibreOffice and some of the Document Liberation Project libraries all exist as top-level products in the bugtracker
  • QUESTION: Should we refocus ourselves as the TDF QA Team (to cover LibreOffice, DLP, etc.. ?)
  • Bluetooth adapters on their way (or about to start on their way)
  • Bugzilla -
    • We'll chat w/Norbert and Infra about overhead of running bugzilla
  • We already have multiple bugtrackers (Bugzilla, Redmine, etc..); avoid explosion of more trackers (Bjoern)

Project Management:

  • What about global TODO lists? (across various TDF/LibreOffice teams) (Joel)
    • Perhaps something available via Redmine? Or a project management tool? (Robinson)
      • Best option for now is Wiki, but we'll still keep looking.
  • Still under consideration
  • Structured tool much better than wiki

weekly status

* https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/page.cgi?id=weekly-bug-summary.html

UNCONFIRMED Bugs

UNCONFIRMED bug count:

  • May 21st: 1150
  • Today: 1101
  • Difference: -49
  • ACTION: Joel will come up with strategies (bloggers? other marketing?) to get us under 500 UNCONFIRMED over the summer
  • [DONE] ACTION: Write a short blog post about joining the BugHunting 4.3 session (TODO: Joel, Florian R., all)

Regression watch (Bjoern)

* Regressions in 4.3 not in 4.2
* Regressions in 4.2 not in 4.1


  • A lot of the bugs being bibisected are being fixed relatively fast (Joel)
  • What about emphasis on feature freeze period of release? (Joel)
    • The feature freeze exists; perhaps we could be more clear about this aspect of the release process

Topics for ESC?

Does anyone have any topics/concerns that I should bring to the Engineering Steering Committee (ESC)? (Robinson)

  • This # has grown to 81 this week
  • Would prefer to have no prioritization set when new bug is filed (Joel)
    • If we can keep up with the triage/prioritization load as new bugs are filed, then this makes sense (Robinson)
  • Having more granular information (e.g. which bibisected regressions are from the last few releases) would provide more helpful info for the devs (Bjoern)
  • Providing even more granular repro information will help us track down which commit/who introduced this regression (Joel)
    • What's the time cost for QA? Do we have enough manpower to tackle that step? (Robinson)
    • Has been relatively successful
    • Can also ask in the #libreoffice-dev channel if a particular commit is to blame (Bjoern)

Need_Advice Bugs

NeedAdvice bugs

  • Back up to 82
  • I'll chat w/devs again (Robinson)

Pending Items

Quick ACTION items:

  • ACTION: Order bluetooth adapters for Joren, Joel, Florian R. (Robinson -> Floeff)
    • Joel ordered one stateside (right?)
    • June 4 - Checking on ordering status w/Floeff (Robinson)
  • [DONE] ACTION: New QA call time will be 17:30 UTC on Wednesdays (every other week), starting on June 4th
    • Seemed to work last time -- let's keep it (Robinson)
  • Remaining bluetooth adapters will go out next week
  • Joel likes the new meeting time....we all seem to agree!
    • Doesn't conflict w/ common dinner time in Europe

ITEMS from Joel

  • [DONE] ACTION: Clarify what 'PreBibisect' version means in Bugzilla (writeup on the wiki) (Joel)

PENDING ITEM: Auto-updates for regular users and QA Testing

  • ACTION: Investigate auto-updates for regular users and/or for QA/testing purposes (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Open discussion again re:auto-update for QA on the mailing list (Robinson)
    • Related: tdf#78592 - "LibreOffice-Installation enhancement/medium NEW UI: Provide RSS feed for torrent downloads" (Joel)
  • Find time for this one!

PENDING ITEM: MozTrap Localization

  • ACTION: MozTrap translation (GUI and tests) continues to be high-priority for QA (Needs someone to shepherd)

To review:

  • Other project who might want to work on translating GUI w/us?

PENDING ITEM: Bugzilla Migration etc.

  • ACTION: Organize time to stress-test new Bugzilla VM (Joel)
  • ACTION: Make sure to suppress outgoing email during our testing of the test Bugzilla (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Perhaps add Simple HTTP Auth (htaccess) control restricting access to https://bugzilla-test.documentfoundation.org/ (Robinson/Norbert)
  • ACTION: Resolve url for hosting our Bugzilla instance (Joel)
    • Deal with acronym if using tdf.org url (tdf# ?)
  • ACTION: Set up call and/or thread(s) with the useful people on a mailing list (Robinson)
    • May 22 - Started process
    • June - Need to follow-up again with key people re: current progress (Robinson)
  • Chug, chug, chug...

PENDING ITEM: Bibisect Repositories

  • ACTION: Chat w/Bjoern, etc... re: updates to bibisect repos (Robinson)
    • Propose docs on testing w/3.3.0 separately to place bugs in pre-LO category (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Make combined bibisect repo available for testing (Bjoern) + Provide better docs
  • ACTION: Provide documentation for mac bibisect on wiki (Bjoern)
    • Bjoern's done some work here... get update from him.

To review:

  • IDEA: Add bibisect into regular Developer workflow
  • IDEA: Create graph/tool to show which builds contain a given commit
  • Proposal: Would like to have some improvements for Bibisect (Joel)
    • E.g. would like to auto-skip over known-bad builds of LO
    • Where should this type of bug/enhancement be filed? (against which product?)
  • We could possibly implement this by having two repos: (1) the bibisect repo, (2) bibisect tools/version blacklist (Robinson)
  • New feature for bibisect repo so you can just download a small tool that creates a mount point (Bjoern)
    • All the pieces that you never look at aren't downloaded -- just check out a single version from the bibisect repo
    • Proof of concept for now; more docs to come
  • ACTION: Create EasyHack to test all bugs tagged 'PreBibisect' to determine if they are also 'Inherited From OOo' (Joel)

PENDING ITEM: GUI for Bibisect

  • ACTION:' Florian R. will make bibisect-gui work on Ubuntu....with Joel
  • ACTION Review BibiGUI -- any Windows/C# Python volunteer dev (Bjoern)
  • ACTION: Throw something at me [Robinson] if I forget [to poke at Python...] (Florian R.)

Related:

  • ACTION: SI-GUI: Contact the people running "interesting" Windows tinderboxes and ask for their assistance (Florian R.)
  • ACTION: Create an EasyHack bug for the process of translating the existing C# code into Python (or Java) (Florian R.)
  • How's the communication between QA (and the SI-GUI) and the Windows tinderbox owners? (Robinson)
    • Emailed out, but haven't heard anything back (Florian R.)
    • Would like to use the TDF tb's, but they're broken more frequently than other ones :(
    • Perhaps NAGIOS rules would help to make sure that tb's get fixed more quickly? (Robinson)
  • Re: BibiGUI: Windows is fast when accessing git directly, but verrry slow when accessing git via libraries (Florian R)
    • Perhaps we can focus on GUI development on GNU/Linux initially, and then improve Windows support later?
    • Also need to strip excess fat from the builds that are going into the bibisect repo (~ 1GB total per build right now!)

PENDING ITEM: Feedback pages

  • ACTION: Sophie will shepherd native-lang versions of Feedback page

To review:

  • Next steps for NL versions (bug #?)

PENDING ITEM: EOL, Release series, and Stable versions

  • ACTION: We'll wait and see if the Fresh vs. Stable (esque) language ends up in the updater (Robinson)
    • May 5th - Punting to see until updater is fixed
  • ACTION: Joel will start a thread on the QA list where we can bring up concerns
  • There's not much we can do about this -- waiting for Marketing to make a decision, and devs to fix the updater
  • ACTION: Make enhancement request for this issue (so we can take it off the agenda) (Joel)

PENDING ITEM: Planning Regular QA Events

  • ACTION: Create a wiki page that mirrors our Release Plan page to try to coordinate QA events in conjunction with our release cycle (Joel)

PENDING ITEM: Daily builds for all platforms

  • ACTION: Robinson will take point on making sure we get daily builds for win/mac/linux
  • ACTION: Make NAGIOS rules a priority --> very important for Windows tb for SI-GUI/Florian (Robinson)

PENDING ITEM: Hackfests

  • ACTION: USA involvement in hackfests -- (Keep on the agenda, discuss on QA list) (All)
  • ACTION: Joel & Robinson will chat about Boston

Update on:

  • Potential Hackfest in Boston in July
    • State of QA Documentation?
  • Other Events: (School in Pennsylvania)?

Long-term/Frozen Pending Items

These are long-term or frozen items (i.e. on ice until something else happens) that we don't want to forget about...

PENDING ITEM: US Merch Store

  • (Future progress)


PENDING ITEM: Update the whiteboard/keywords page

  • ACTION: Joel will work on tdf#71761 - Cleanup Whiteboard Wiki Page slowly.

Currently in progress. A sample can be seen here: Test

  • Joel's working on it
  • Complete list of whiteboard status --> whittling down from there
  • 60-70% done
  • Also keyword and version page

PENDING ITEM: Most Annoying Bug List

  • ACTION: Joel will propose stricter guidelines for what qualifies as a MAB

To review:

  • How is the test going? (using the 'Priority' field in Bugzilla)

References:

  • MAB Tool - Server/service down for now
  • Will work on this this week (Joel)

PENDING ITEM: Talk to CS Department/others at University

  • ACTION: Put up a message on the message board at his University and see who is interested (Joel)
  • Need to meet w/Charlie R. to talk with his Uni contacts as well

New Action Items

All items proposed between meetings go here

New Items (Proposed/Discussed at the Meeting)

NEW ITEM: Bug Triage Suggested Priority (Joel)

See notes: QA/BugTriage#Suggested Triage Order

  • Going to work on another one which is by component
  • There are two tables on the Bug Triage page (Jay)
    • Just a work-in-progress..fixing (Joel)

Announcements

  • ANNOUNCEMENT: Our next meeting will take place... June 18th (Wednesday) at 17:30 UTC, unless otherwise noted on the QA/Mailing List.

End

Put meeting-adjourned time in the table

Topics

(Add topics below and reference them as #Example Topic in the Agenda/Minutes above)

Example Topic