LibreOffice 6.3: Release Notes
- 1 About this page
- 2 Writer
- 3 Calc
- 4 Impress & Draw
- 5 Base
- 6 Chart
- 7 Math
- 8 BASIC
- 9 Core / General
- 10 LibreOffice Help
- 11 Filters
- 12 GUI
- 13 Online
- 14 Localization
- 15 Feature removal / deprecation
- 16 Platform Compatibility
- 17 API changes
- 18 Android Viewer
About this page
- The "Words With TWo INitial CApitals" AutoCorrect exception list function has been extended to also be considered when changing case in "Capitalize first letter of every sentence" and "Correct accidental use of cAPS lOCK key" functions. This allows avoid auto-capitalization in words like mRNA, iPhone, fMRI. It has been renamed to "Words With TWo INitial CApitals or sMALL iNITIAL" tdf#121779 (Mike Kaganski - Collabora).
- Added UNO command .uno:TableCellBackgroundColor to allow setting single and multiple selected table cell(s) background color tdf#82504 (Jim Raykowski)
- Add "Send Outline to Clipboard" button to Navigator -> Context Menu (right click on "Headings") tdf#123395 (Wenzhe Pei).
- Variable input fields tdf#123968 (Michael Stahl, CIB) ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ can now be edited inline, in the same way as was already possible for function input fields ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸
- Index/Table of Contents Update is now Undo/Redo enabled and no longer clears the Undo stack tdf#38703 (Michael Stahl, CIB)
- Native copy from Calc into Writer text tables (introduced in LO 6.2, see tdf#37223) improvement: only visible cells of a filtering are being copy and paste tdf#124646 (László Németh, NISZ)
- Page backgrounds (color, gradient and tiled bitmaps) are now covering the entire page, not only within page margins tdf#33041 (László Németh, NISZ)
- New bottom-to-top, left-to-right writing direction in table cells and text frames, improving compatibility with Word blog post 1 blog post 2 (Miklos Vajna, Collabora)
- Importing charts from DOCX drawingML group shapes is now possible blog post (Miklos Vajna, Collabora)
Interoperable text-based form controls
- Optional Forms menu layout, similar to Microsoft Office (Tamás Zolnai, Collabora)
- Implement GUI for legacy form controls (Tamás Zolnai, Collabora)
See also: Form controls in LibreOffice
- Improve performance of bookmarks. Export time is 1.5 times faster tdf#117066 (Noel Grandin, Collabora)
- Improve performance of large tables. tdf#84635 (Noel Grandin, Collabora)
- Improve performance of embedded fonts. tdf#69060 (Mike Kaganski, Collabora)
- Improve perfomance for some ODT files tdf#63640 (Noel Grandin, Collabora)
- See the full list of perf Writer bugs fixed in this version here
- Added UNO API to let cell anchored graphics resize with the cell (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB) tdf#124329
- Added new Russian ruble currency symbol to currency formats. It will display the ₽ character (U+20BD) instead of руб. or other localized variants (Eike Rathke, Red Hat) tdf#96711
- Added new drop-down widget into formula bar instead old tool Sum (Gagandeep Singh) tdf#120697
- User can disable the extra dialog for search results. For activate of this dialog use option Show summary of replaced cells in dialog Tools > Options > Calc > General > Input Settings tdf#87965 (Heiko Tietze)
- Added a new checkbox in tdf#99938. ▸ ▸ dialog that allows trimming of the input range to the actual data content before computing moving-average. This checkbox is enabled by default. Also fixed the underlying performance problem even for the case when this checkbox is disabled (Dennis Francis, Collabora)
- The auto-filter popup no longer flickers on Windows without OpenGL tdf#101086 (Miklos Vajna, Collabora)
Rework Data -> Statistics -> Sampling dialog
All work was made by Eike Rathke commit
- Add "With replacement" checkbutton
- checked: WR (with replacement, put back after draw), larger sample size than population size possible
- mutually exclusive with "Keep order"
- unchecked: WOR (without replacement, do not put back after draw), sample size limited to population size
- automatically unchecked for "Periodic" samples
- checked: WR (with replacement, put back after draw), larger sample size than population size possible
- Add "Keep order" checkbutton
- checked: samples are drawn in order of population data
- WOR method mutually exclusive with "With replacement"
- automatically checked for "Periodic" samples
- unchecked: samples are drawn in random order
- checked: samples are drawn in order of population data
- Limit "Sample size" and "Period" input fields to size of population for all WOR methods
- when limiting, increment "Sample size" and "Period" up to their last known value when enlargening the population size
Previously, for "Periodic" samples the "Period" field was never limited, which for populations of smaller size makes no sense.
The new recent implementation for "Random" without "Keep order" and without "With replacement" set (WOR) strictly needs "Sample size" limited to population size.
New spreadsheet functions
FOURIER(Array, GroupedByColumns, Inverse, Polar, MinimumMagnitude) is a matrix formula that computes discrete Fourier transform [DFT] of an input array (first argument) using a couple of Fast Fourier Transform algorithms. All features of this formula will also be available graphically via the dialog tdf#74664 blog (Dennis Francis, Collabora)▸ ▸
The data in input array(first argument) can be:
- grouped by columns (needs to be indicated by flag GroupedByColumns = TRUE). In this case the array can contain 1 or 2 columns, where the first column contains the real part of input sequence and second column if present contains the imaginary part of the input sequence. If there is only 1 column, the input sequence is treated as purely real.
- grouped by rows (needs to be indicated by flag GroupedByColumns = FALSE). In this case the array can contain 1 or 2 rows, where the first row contains the real part of input sequence and second row if present contains the imaginary part of the input sequence. If there is only 1 row, the input sequence is treated as purely real.
The third argument "Inverse" is a boolean flag to indicate whether an inverse DFT needs to be computed. This argument is optional and the default value is FALSE.
The fourth argument Polar is a boolean flag to indicate whether the final output needs to be in polar coordinates. This argument is optional and the default value is FALSE.
The result of DFT consists of two columns - first column contains the real parts (or the magnitudes if Polar=TRUE) and second column contains the imaginary parts (or the phases if Polar=TRUE).
There is a 5th optional parameter, MinimumMagnitude. This parameter is used only if Polar=TRUE. All frequency components with magnitude less than MinimumMagnitude will be suppressed with a zero magnitude-phase entry. This is very useful when looking at the magnitude-phase spectrum of a signal because there is always some very tiny amount of rounding error when doing FFT algorithms and results in incorrect non-zero phase for non-existent frequencies. By providing a suitable value to this parameter, these non-existent frequency components can be suppressed. By default the value of this 5th parameter is 0.0, so *no* suppression is done by default.
- Speed-up loading of XLSX files. tdf#121052 tdf#67629 tdf#89522 tdf#121094 (Noel Grandin, Collabora)
- Speed-up loading of ODS files. tdf#120445 tdf#85482 (Noel Grandin, Collabora)
- Speed-up loading and rendering of Calc files with VLOOKUP (Serge Krot, CIB) tdf#121052
- Speed-up saving files to XLS format. tdf#85470 (Noel Grandin, Collabora)
- Cache MDDS positions to improve performance while working with large datasets tdf#112383 (Luboš Luňák, Collabora)
- See the full list of perf Calc bugs fixed in this version here
Changed spreadsheet functions
Impress & Draw
- May now drag'n'drop multiple Impress animations to reorder them. (Brian Fraser) commit
- Introduce an expert option 'WriteLayerStateAsConfigItem' with default value 'true'. If you set it to 'false', the visible/printable/locked state of layers are only written ODF conform to part styles.xml, otherwise to settings.xml in addition. You might need the option 'false' to avoid inconsistency in case you manipulate layers via macro. (Regina Henschel) commit
- OOXML preset shapes as used by PowerPoint or SoftMaker had some glitches in handle-movement, when you tried to alter the shapes in LibreOffice. The shape outline moved in opposite direction of the handle movement, or the handle jumped to a new location, when you touched it, or the handle was not movable at all. That is fixed for most shapes now.(Regina Henschel, tdf#115813, tdf#125126, tdf#125181, tdf#125445)
- Various improvements to the import of SmartArt from PPTX files Blog post 1 Blog post 2 blog post 3 blog post 4 (Miklos Vajna, Collabora)
Firebird Migration Assistant, previously available only in experimental mode, will prompt users to migrate their Base HSQLdb embedded files by default.
Includes 13 resolved issues, including:
- 5 for Firebird sdbc support
- 2 for MySQL/Mariadb support
- 1 dBase file format support
- 2 general UI enhancement
- Implement feature to disable legend entry for series (Markus Mohrhard) tdf#51671
- Add palette selection to options charts default colors (Jim Raykowski) tdf#105225
- Introduce attributes harpoon and wideharpoon for an alternative representation of vectors, which combines a variable name with the harpoon symbol (U+20D1 ⃑) as like attributes vec and widevec tdf#120047 (Takeshi Abe).
Core / General
- LibreOffice TWAIN module on Windows was reimplemented as a separate 32-bit shim executable (twain32shim.exe). This allows both 32-bit and 64-bit LibreOffice to use 32-bit TWAIN Windows component. Now finally LibreOffice x64 for Windows is able to use scanner (tdf#114635 - Mike Kaganski, Collabora).
- The number of saved searches in the Find & Replace dialog can be adjusted per expert configuration
org::openoffice::Office::Common::Misc::FindReplaceRememberedSearchestdf#122322 (Heiko Tietze)
▸ ▸ ▸
- New command .uno:InsertNarrowNobreakSpace introduced bound to ⇧ Shift+Alt+Space that inserts a non-breakable narrow space (U+202F) tdf#121596 (Heiko Tietze)
- Now, like other controls for example the tree control, it is be possible to create and change properties of UNO grid control and UNO Hyperlink control within the Dialog-Editor tdf#53524,i#119731 (Shubham Goyal - Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB).
- Tip-Of-The-Day dialog shows useful information once per day on startup tdf#124238 (Heiko Tietze)
- What's-New infobar pointing to the release notes when a new version is started for the first time tdf#69042 (Heiko Tietze)
- Sentence selection (triple click) is available for keyboard customization now (no default shortcut assigned) tdf#124552 (Heiko Tietze)
- If an unmodified template document is opened in an existing window, it will no longer be overwritten by a new document. Instead, a new document will open in a new window tdf#83722 (Katarina Behrens, CIB)
New Feature: Redaction
Now it is possible to redact your documents with LibreOffice to remove/hide sensitive information. blog post (Muhammet Kara, Collabora)
commit 1 commit 2 commit 3 commit 4 commit 5 commit 6 commit 7 commit 8 commit 9 commit 10 commit 11 commit 12 commit 13 commit 14 commit 15 commit 16 commit 17 commit 18 commit 19 commit 20 commit 21 commit 22 commit 23 commit 24 commit 25 commit 26 commit 27
Redaction in its sanitization sense is the blacking out or deletion of text in a document, or the result of such an effort. It is intended to allow the selective disclosure of information in a document while keeping other parts of the document secret. Typically the result is a document that is suitable for publication or for dissemination to others than the intended audience of the original document. For example, when a document is subpoenaed in a court case, information not specifically relevant to the case at hand is often redacted. Redaction in Wikipedia
Although there are some proprietary software applications in the market for this purpose, they have their own limitations like lack of support for open/libre document formats. Thanks to LibreOffice's great support for various file formats, and our recent work on implementing this new feature on top of it, it is now possible to redact most of your documents without leaving the comfort of your favourite office suite.
- Open your document in LibreOffice
- Click ( ▸ ) from the main menu, and wait for your document to be prepared for redaction (converted to an internal meta-format, and transferred to Draw)
- Do the redaction by using the "Rectangle Redaction", and the "Freeform Redaction" tools on the "Redaction Toolbar".
- Save & share the in-redaction copies of the document with peers either in the modifiable (odg) or the verbatim (pdf) format at your option
- Once you are ready to finalize the redaction, click the desired option on the "Redacted Export" tool on the Redaction toolbar
- As a result, you will have a pixellized version of the redacted document in PDF. There will be no selectable text in it, and the redacted content will be non-existent.
- During redaction, the redaction shapes will be transparent and in grey so that the user can see what they are redacting.
- There are currently 4 tools on the Redaction toolbar (from left to right): Rectangle Redaction, Freeform Redaction, Redacted Export, Direct Export to PDF
- The Rectangle Redaction tool allows the user to mark the content for redaction by drawing transparent rectangles covering the content
- The Freeform Redaction tool allows the user to mark the content for redaction by drawing freeform lines/polygons covering the content
- The "Redacted Export" button box has two options: "Redacted Export (Black)" and "Redacted Export (White)". When clicked, it will finalize your document (by converting the transparent grey redaction shapes to opaque black or white shapes), and export as a pixellized PDF file. The "White" option might be preferred to save toner while printing.
- The Direct Export to PDF button allows the user to take an in-redaction copy of the document in PDF to share as a verbatim copy for review
- Help pages on Python Macro programming (Alain Romedenne, Olivier Hallot)
- More pages on undocumented BASIC objects and functions (Alain Romedenne, Olivier Hallot)
- Python and BASIC code fragments better rendered in Help pages (Olivier Hallot)
- Python and Basic code fragments can now be copied to clipboard on a mouse click for later use - tdf#122548 (Olivier Hallot)
- Extension of the XML dictionary (DTD) to simplify markup for Help pages (Olivier Hallot)
- The Online Help Editor (Olivier Hallot, Mike Saunders)
- Refactoring of Math icons to SVG (Mark Robbinson, Olivier Hallot)
- Refactoring of Help file names for Draw (Ilmari Lauhakangas, Olivier Hallot)
- Code cleanups and typo fixing (Sophia Schröder, Andrea Gelmini)
- Calc functions CONCAT, TEXTJOIN, IFS, SWITCH documented (Olivier Hallot, Wilfried Donkers)
- Calc functions now indicates the LibreOffice release of their implementation (Olivier Hallot, Mike Kaganski)
Improvements of the EMF+ export filter
- add proper rotation support for Ellipse, Arc and Pie tdf#122498 (Bartosz Kosiorek)
- add support for image rotation and shearing tdf#122557 (Bartosz Kosiorek)
- add transparency support for drawing lines tdf#122559 (Bartosz Kosiorek)
- correct line weight tdf#122646 (Bartosz Kosiorek)
- add transparency support for linear gradients tdf#124424 (Bartosz Kosiorek)
Improvements of the PDF export filter
- added support for PDF/A-2 export, switched UI to be able to use either PDF/A-1 or PDF/A-2 tdf#62728 (Thorsten Behrens, CIB)
- fixed a number of verapdf-reported PDF validation issues for PDF/A tdf#113448 (Thorsten Behrens, CIB)
Improvements of OOXML filters
- Added support for export to spreadsheet template file .xltx tdf#99438 (Vasily Melenchuk, CIB)
- Added support for export to text document template file .dotx commit (Vasily Melenchuk, CIB)
- Improve XLSX Pivot table interoperability tdf#123939, tdf#124651, tdf#113908, tdf#124736, tdf#124772, tdf#124810, tdf#124881, tdf#124883, (Mike Kaganski, Collabora)
- Preserve SmartArts when exporting PPTX files to allow editing in PowerPoint commit (Grzegorz Araminowicz, Collabora)
Improvements of Tagged PDF export
Several enhancements were made to Tagged PDF export in order to improve accessibility of produced documents and PDF standard compliance, in particular:
- better tagging of bullets and numbered lists
- export of image title and description (alt text)
- images on slide/page background are now exported as artifacts, thus not announced by screenreader
This work has been sponsored by Blackboard Ally (Armin Le Grand, Katarina Behrens, CIB)
- The new Tabbed Compact UI is ready for release! Writer, Calc, Impress and Draw have complete Tabbed Compact UI versions. Try it out by selecting it in ( ▸ ). (Andreas Kainz)
- The new Contextual Single UI is ready for release in Writer and Draw! Try it out by selecting it in ( ▸ ). (Andreas Kainz)
- Now icons of the uno commands with extra parameters are displayed correctly. commit (Muhammet Kara, Collabora)
- Toolbar More controls was deleted and all tools from this toolbar were moved to toolbar Form Controls. It was made for all modules of LibreOffice. tdf#112411 (Roman Kuznetsov)
- Sifr icon theme got a huge update (Andreas Kainz)
- Karasa Jaga icon theme reworked from 22px*22px size to 24px*24px one. tdf#124808 (Rizal Muttaqin)
- Karasa Jaga icon theme got SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) version. tdf#125368 (Rizal Muttaqin)
- Changed fonts in LibreOffice’s installer dialog in Windows from Tahoma 8 to Segoe UI 9 and changed width of windows of dialog tdf#99891 (Roman Kuznetsov)
- Sidebar width can now be configured via the
Office/UI/Sidebar/General/MaximumWidthconfig option. tdf#124255 (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
- Some improvements to handle different widths for sidebar decks commit 1 commit 2 (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
- Changed Bullet style's names in Style section of Writer Sidebar tdf#124471 (Roman Kuznetsov)
- Calc and Draw tabs were changed for more visible and usability tdf#124572 (Tomaž Vajngerl, Collabora)
Calc Formula bar
- Drop-down control in Calc Formula bar was reworked for solve some visual problems tdf#101443 (Thorsten Wagner)
The following PostMessage methods have been added to allow UI customization: (Samuel Mehrbodt, CIB)
Show_Menubar- to hide/show the menu bar
Remove_Buttonto remove a button from the toolbar
Insert_Buttonnow has a paramter to specify the insert position as well as the UNO command to be executed on click
Incorporation of other languages
Improvements to proofing tools and language support
see details on the changes: 
- Afrikaans. The spelling dictionary was updated.
- Breton. The spelling dictionary was updated.
- Danish. The spelling dictionary was updated.
- English (GB). The spelling dictionary was updated.
- Galician. The spelling dictionary was updated.
- Serbian. The spelling dictionary was updated.
- Slovenian. The thesaurus was updated.
- Spanish. The spelling dictionary was updated.
- Thai. The spelling dictionary was updated.
Feature removal / deprecation
Support for Java 5 has been removed. Java 6 is now the oldest supported version. (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
KDE4 VCL plugin
KDE4 is out of maintenance upstream since November 2014. LibreOffice's KDE4 VCL plugin has been removed and binaries provided by TDF have switched to KDE5 as the official backend. commit
Firefox Personas search & apply functionality has been removed from the personalization dialog (tdf#123831 (Muhammet Kara, Collabora)▸ ▸ ▸ ) as per the ESC & Design Team decisions, after major changes on the Mozilla side, which made it impossible to use their API and the themes data for us. The default personas are unaffected, and still functional. Future improvements and more features are planned by the Design Team, thanks to now having a clean slate, without the burden of chasing an external API. Firefox Themes are dead; long live the LibreOffice Themes! :)
Please beware that although users may continue using their already installed personas as long as they don't switch to a default persona; once a default persona is applied, there is no way to go back to the custom theme via normal means.
- Statusbar shows Insert in normal mode on macOS (additional to Overwrite) to draw attention to the context menu tdf#107918 (Heiko Tietze)
KDE 5 + Qt5
KDE5/Qt5 VCL plugin received substantial improvement since its first release in LibreOffice 6.2, including but not limited to:
- better integration of extensions by eliminating most of multi-threading and deadlock problems tdf#119856
- OpenGL support tdf#121247 tdf#121266
- better drag'n'drop support, including external drag'n'drop from file manager tdf#120772 tdf#124990 tdf#125160
- improved rendering of slides and slideshows with multimedia content in Impress tdf#124027 tdf#125219
- support for typing with input method editor (IME) tdf#123956 tdf#123957
- miscellaneous improvements of native menu bar tdf#122256 tdf#121970 tdf#123549 tdf#123379
(Jan-Marek Glogowski, Katarina Behrens (CIB), Michael Weghorn (LHM), Aleksei Nikiforov (BaseAlt), Michael Stahl (CIB))
UNO API changes
- The range of supported values for a Writer document's
ZoomValuehas been reduced from 5–1000 to 20–600. commit
- Registering a XMouseListener/XKeyListener to a XWindow will now submit mouse/key events even if technically the events happened in a widget inside that window. (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB) tdf#122920