QA/Meetings/2014/February 24

From The Document Foundation Wiki
< QA‎ | Meetings‎ | 2014
Jump to: navigation, search
Meeting of the QA Team

previous - next

Date and Time (UTC) 2014-02-24 19:30 UTC
G+ Hangout [ This Meeting]
Chair Robinson Tryon
Secretary Robinson Tryon
Started

19:36

Adjourned

20:54

Participants

Florian R., Robinson, Thomas, Björn, Joren, Rob

Pad http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/qa
Talkyoo Room Number 537138

Prep

Agenda + Minutes

Minutes:

Content from the meeting itself ("the minutes") will be displayed in blue boxes like this.

Before we Start

A few minutes before we officially start the call, we'll try to have a few people on hand to help assist newbies set up their teleconferencing gear, get things muted, and log on to all of our communication channels:

Start

Put start time and attendees list in the table

The State of QA

Including any Opening Discussion

  • T-shirts update:
    • Kiva Cards?
    • More T-shirts delivered to:
    • Still en-route to:
      • Hackert, Mandal
  • New Meeting Time?
    • ACTION: Joel will set up a doodle for a new QA Meeting time
  • Any update on possible Hackfest in the US (School in Pennsylvania) ?
  • SCALE 12x was fun!
    • Help from David Eisenberg on Fri/Sat
    • Let's have more people there next year (recruitment from West coast/CA?)
  • Thoughts on getting swag for BugHunting sessions?
  • Tool for downloading copies of LibreOffice onto USB sticks: https://github.com/reisi007/LibO-Tankstelle (Florian R.)
    • Consider for future conferences, etc..

UNCONFIRMED Bugs

UNCONFIRMED bug count:

  • February 10th: 874
  • Today (10th): 956
  • Difference: +82
  • Ideas for attracting new help? (Robinson)
    • More/better tools (Florian R.)
    • Working auto-update of LibreOffice for Win/Mac
      • Security concerns? (Florian R.)
      • Expected of modern applications (Robinson)
    • Infrastructure concerns re: large updates? (Bjoern)
      • We shouldn't be afraid of our own success
      • Only push updates to our stable/fresh users every few weeks; QA can get updates daily, if desired (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Investigate auto-updates for regular users and/or for QA/testing purposes (Robinson)
  • What about gnu/linux? (Robinson)
    • For Ubuntu, we have PPAs providing both stable and testing builds (Bjoern)
      • Stable: (libreoffice)"ppa" https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa (also explains the other PPA)
      • Testing: "pre-releases" - Get as many pre-releases and Bjoern can manage to build
      • What about using theses for BugHunting sessions? (Robinson)
        • There is a diff between the PPAs and official TDF builds, but minor, and the simplicity of the PPA may win out (Bjoern)
    • For RedHat/other distros? (TBD...)

Topics for ESC?

Does anyone have any topics/concerns that I should bring to the Engineering Steering Committee (ESC)? (Robinson)

Need_Advice Bugs

Need_Advice bugs

  • (see notes on Updater)

Pending Items

PENDING ITEM: MozTrap Localization

  • ACTION: MozTrap translation (GUI and tests) continues to be high-priority for QA (Needs someone to shepherd)

To review:

    • Other project who might want to work on translating GUI w/us?
  • After new website is up and running, re-examine our docs/workflow here.

PENDING ITEM: Bugzilla Migration etc.

  • [DONE] ACTION: Robinson will work on a new lobster mascot for our Bugzilla [owen made one]
  • ACTION: Robinson/Cloph will talk to Tollef about next steps in Bugzilla migration
    • Waiting to hear back from Tollef
  • ACTION: Joel/Alex working to give Robinson a VM in which to test Bugzilla ourselves
    • This will speed-up the 2nd half of migration and after-migration tasks

Older:

  • ACTION: Get Tollef to activate voting on FDO (merged item)
  • ACTION: Get Tollef to add BOLD statement to each FDO mail sent out to not reply via mail (merged item)
  • ACTION: Get Tollef to clarify 'version' label in Bugzilla (merged item)
  • ACTION: Will track the filed bug and wait to hear updates (re: Bold statement on FDO mail)
  • Bugzilla cert expired, but fixed (Robinson)
  • Hopefully have VM soon for local testing (ahead of getting a data dump from FDO)
  • Will we run into problems with bug numbering/reduction of functionality/difficulty customizing if we use FDO dump? (Florian R.)
    • Shouldn't be a problem -- I've solid plans on how to keep existing bug numbers (Robinson)
    • (We'll toss the code into a git repo, and have a test server, etc..)
  • Chatted w/Tollef and other FDO guys this week (fixing expired cert, deleting accidentally-uploaded private data) (Robinson)
    • Hopeful to make some new headway here in the coming month.

PENDING ITEM: Bibisect Repositories

  • ACTION: Make combined bibisect repo available for testing (Robinson) + Provide better docs
  • ACTION: Provide documentation for mac bibisect on wiki (Robinson)

To review:

  • Robinson working on bibisect docs
  • IDEA: Add bibisect into regular Developer workflow
  • IDEA: Create graph/tool to show which builds contain a given commit
  • Punt

PENDING ITEM: GUI for Bibisect

  • ACTION: Punt on implementation until after we have bibisect repos up and running (All)
    • Florian is working on a Windows-only version
  • ACTION: Joel will ask people to test the Windows Bibisect GUI

PENDING ITEM: Feedback pages

  • ACTION: Sophie will shepherd native-lang versions of Feedback page

To review:

  • Feedback page in new mockup
  • NL versions (bug #?)
  • Walrus on the feedback page well received at SCALE 12x (we put "FREESOFTWARE" and "WALRUS" as the two words in the Crossword puzzle for the Booth Games) - (Robinson)

PENDING ITEM: EOL, Release series, and Stable versions

  • ACTION: We'll wait and see if the Fresh vs. Stable (esque) language ends up in the updater (Robinson)
  • As discussed above..

PENDING ITEM: QA Input into website redesign

  • ACTION: Sophie/Robinson - Keep QA in the loop re: updates to QA pages

Website Redesign:

PENDING ITEM: Start Center and Sidebar Concerns

  • [SUPERSEDED] ACTION: Robinson will get an update on the latest progress here from Stuart/a11y Team
    • Feb 1 - Emailed
  • [ABANDONED] ACTION: If you try to use LibreOffice without a mouse (and using a screen reader), how is the experience? (Everyone)

Relevant tracker bugs:

  • Punt
  • ACTION: Continue to watch Start Center/Sidebar until a11y concerns addressed (Robinson)

PENDING ITEM: Introduction video to LibreOffice QA

  • ACTION: Mock something up/have something to show at a future QA Meeting (Robinson, Joren)

PENDING ITEM: Planning Regular QA Events

  • ACTION: Joel will come up with a timeframe for future Bug Hunting Sessions/Triage Contests, with rationale.
    • Let's try to have an event every 6 months
  • Punt

PENDING ITEM: Daily builds for all platforms

  • ACTION: Robinson will take point on making sure we get daily builds for win/mac/linux
  • ACTION: Write a script to make sure builds are being produced daily! (Robinson)

Long-term/Frozen Pending Items

These are long-term or frozen items (i.e. on ice until something else happens) that we don't want to forget about...

PENDING ITEM: Update the whiteboard/keywords page

  • ACTION: Joel will turn this into an EasyHack and work on it (slowly)

PENDING ITEM: Most Annoying Bug List

  • ACTION: Joel will propose stricter guidelines for what qualifies as a MAB

To review:

  • How is the test going? (using the 'Priority' field in Bugzilla)

References:

  • MAB Tool - Server/service down for now

PENDING ITEM: What to do with FDO bugs filed against Extensions, Templates

  • ACTION: Joel will continue to monitor the situation

PENDING ITEM: Talk to CS Department/others at University

  • ACTION: Put up a message on the message board at his University and see who is interested (Joel)

PENDING ITEM: Hackfests

  • ACTION: USA involvement in hackfests -- (Keep on the agenda, discuss on QA list) (All)
  • ACTION: Joel will respond to planning email (for Penn) and help shape what we can/want to do
  • ACTION: Robinson will check-in with OpenHatch/Deb Nichols to investigate partnership
  • At SCALE: Met several students from California universities (Cal Poly, etc...) receptive to the idea of hosting a hackfest (Robinson)
  • Any updates on hackfests elsewhere in the US?
    • Philadelphia - Possibly
    • Montreal - Guys have connections to the university, can provide basics of hackroom, room/board (Bjoern)
    • Bring-in local guys: Kohei, Joel, Robinson, Ken Biondi, etc..
    • Might be able to bring-in others (e.g. Bjoern)
  • Here's What Works: Find a data/place, and then advertise HEAVILY to get others on board (Bjoern)
  • What about running a hackfest at 1-2 universities for 1-2 days each? (Robinson)
    • Probably best to stick with one university at a time; consider cross-promoting between both universities (Bjoern)
    • If we have interest from 2 universities, approach and see if they can share the event, and switch to the next one 6 months later
  • Lesson Learned: Tried having a hackfest in Silicon Valley, but had low turnout
  • ACTION: Follow-up with all of the people I met at SCALE re:possible hackfests/events (Robinson)
    • I did chat w/Deb and the OpenHatch folks, but want to continue that discussion further before I remove the Action item.
    • Deb also mentioned SpinachFest (?) before LibrePlanet -- opportunity for us to test out LO (UI stuff, IIRC) (Robinson)

New Action Items

All items proposed between meetings go here

NEW ITEM: Title (Author)

New Items (Proposed/Discussed at the Meeting)

NEW ITEM: Title (Author)

Announcements

  • ANNOUNCEMENT: Our next meeting will take place... March 10th (Monday) at 19:30 UTC, unless otherwise noted on the QA/Mailing List (which may happen this week :-).

End

Put meeting-adjourned time in the table

Topics

(Add topics below and reference them as #Example Topic in the Agenda/Minutes above)

Example Topic