TDF LibreOffice Document Liberation Project Community Blogs Weblate Nextcloud Redmine Ask LibreOffice Donate
|Meeting of the QA Team|
|Date and Time (UTC)||2014-08-27 17:30 UTC|
|Talkyoo Room Number||537138|
Agenda + Minutes
Content from the meeting itself ("the minutes") will be displayed in blue boxes like this.
Before we Start
A few minutes before we officially start the call, we'll try to have a few people on hand to help assist newbies set up their teleconferencing gear, get things muted, and log on to all of our communication channels:
Put start time and attendees list in the table
NOTE: We're trying something a bit different today -- we're going to have a much shorter meeting (15-30 min) in IRC.
We'll touch on a few metrics such as UNCONFIRMED bug count and regressions, and then we'll have each person in the meeting bring up whatever QA topics they'd like to address.
Quick QA Chat --- in 8 minutes
colonelqubit: ...just a reminder :-)
START: 01:33:47 PM
colonelqubit: Okay all, time for a quick chat? 01:33:47 PM
Reisi007: colonelqubit: yep
colonelqubit: UNCONFIRMED bugs: 866
colonelqubit: That's up 44, not too bad
colonelqubit: We've got a QA 'LibreFest' bug triaging event planned for Oct 26th in Seattle, WA
colonelqubit: I'm hoping to put a serious dent in our UNCONFIRMED bugs at that point
colonelqubit: (and recruit for the QA Team)
Multimedia on macOS
colonelqubit: I've also been working on Multimedia this week
colonelqubit: Some of you have seen https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Media_Support
colonelqubit: jphilipz and others have done some great work testing out what works on different platforms
colonelqubit: tl;dr for Apple is that they're overhauling their media framework, so our existing QuickTime code is shifting to AVFramework
colonelqubit: that means that (for the moment) we may only support a few codecs on macOS 10.9+
Reisi007: colonelqubit: bad...
colonelqubit: Yep, it's really bad
Reisi007: Whats with VLC integration?
colonelqubit: VLC integration is a possibility, but there are several drawbacks
colonelqubit: Apparently one big hurdle is that to play frame 'n' of a video, you have to play frames 1...n-1
Reisi007: colonelqubit: ok, didn't know that
colonelqubit: I'm going to chat with meeks and then the VLC devs and see if there's a possibility of us working together to improve how we can use libvlc
colonelqubit: regression counts aren't too bad. Regressions in 4.3 not in 4.2 - 52, Regressions in 4.2 not in 4.1 - 104 (that went down!), Query for bibisected regressions: Bibisected bugs - 152
Reisi007: colonelqubit: I think I will rename SI-GUI
Reisi007: Needs icon and app name
Reisi007: If you have an idea
colonelqubit: I'll think about it
Reisi007: Or whom to talk to
colonelqubit: So it's a parallel installer/multi-installer, right?
Reisi007: colonelqubit: read the siri regression I mailed, or did I not CC you?
Reisi007: colonelqubit: yes "administrative installation" and downloader and manager
colonelqubit: Like a swiss army knife
jphilipz: LibreOffice Paralaller
Reisi007: colonelqubit: naming rules
Reisi007: Somewhrer in wiki
Reisi007: " LibreOffice SI-GUI" is not allowed e.g.
colonelqubit: oh, 'cause it's not an official tool
colonelqubit: Something like "MultiOffice for Windows" ?
Reisi007: colonelqubit: MultiLibO 4 Windows
colonelqubit: is abbreviation okay?
Reisi007: (Downloads libreoffice only)
Reisi007: colonelqubit: the name must not dtart with LibO
Reisi007: Installer 4 LibreOffice is okay
colonelqubit: Windows Toolbelt 4 LibreOffice
jphilipz: LibO Parallel Installer
- Sweetshark reads backlog
colonelqubit: Let's see ... anything else I wanted to cover
colonelqubit: NeedAdvice bugs dropped to 22
colonelqubit: Aside from the multimedia stuff, anything else I should bring to the ESC?
colonelqubit: Reisi007: any other topics you'd like to bring up?
LibreOffice Conference - Bern
Reisi007: colonelqubit: nope. Maybe we will meet on Tue
Reisi007: How to organise things?
colonelqubit: Organize what things?
Reisi007: Personal meeting on Tue
colonelqubit: Ah, okay
Reisi007: I arrive in the afternoon at the train station
jphilipz: please make sure that the talks are recorded, as i wont be able to make it :(
colonelqubit: I have a couple of meetings on Tuesday. I'll have email access at my room and the venue, so let's try email
colonelqubit: jphilipz: Yes, it sounds like we're going to try to record all of the talks
colonelqubit: jphilipz: Anything you want to bring up in this chat?
Reisi007: colonelqubit: i do not know, if i have wlan
jphilipz: i got accepted into TDF
- colonelqubit cheers
Reisi007: I have Internet
Reisi007: jphilipz: great to hear
jphilipz: wonder if Liongold_away got his TDF membership approved
colonelqubit: Reisi007: okay, then let's coordinate over email
Reisi007: One thing from me
Reisi007: Wait a dec, need to look up something
colonelqubit: okay, while you're looking up stuff, anything from Sweetshark?
Siri Speech-to-text broken in LO 4.3
IZBot: LibreOffice-BASIC normal/medium NEW the Speech Editor Siri of macOS 10.9.4 does not work with Libreoffice 22.214.171.124 https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81759
Reisi007: this user tracked it down as " after bisect"
Reisi007: Means "between apha0 and rc4"
Reisi007: Can we do something to help him track it down more?
colonelqubit: Reisi007: well we can narrow it down to two builds
Reisi007: colonelqubit: no bisect in that period
colonelqubit: Right, but alpha0 - rc4 has a few builds in that range, right?
colonelqubit: So we can at least narrow-down to two of them
Sweetshark: colonelqubit: not really - mind is empty.
- Sweetshark is preparing for talks in Bern
Sweetshark: hope to see you all in the QA and CI workshops in Bern!
Reisi007: Sweetshark: looking forward to it
jphilipz: Sweetshark: make sure they are recorded :)
Sweetshark: jphilipz: Ill do my best
jphilipz: Sweetshark: is your talk topics listed somewhere
Sweetshark: jphilipz: conference.libreoffice.org
jphilipz: Sweetshark: okay which category
Liongold: jphilipz: Congrats on becoming a member of TDF. Yes, I was accepted in July
jphilipz: Liongold: thanks
colonelqubit: On my side, I'm going to do some testing of Bugzilla in preparation for our migration. I may ask for some help testing in the next couple of weeks.
Liongold: colonelqubit: If I can help with Bugzilla, please tell me
colonelqubit: Liongold: yes, definitely
colonelqubit: I said I'd keep this meeting short, so is there anything else?
colonelqubit: Okay, thanks for the quick chat, folks. Our next meeting is tentatively scheduled for the same time in 2 weeks (Sept. 10th).
colonelqubit: Please post on the 'QA Call Time' thread your preferences for when to meet, even if you'd like to keep the same time. 02:06:52 PM
Sweetshark: colonelqubit: thanks for leading!
- Sweetshark is off for the evening.
- colonelqubit waves
END: 02:06:52 PM
The State of QA
Including any Opening Discussion
- xx- Bugzilla migration
- Re: need to reset passwords
- Email notification ahead of migration
- Tweak the change-password page and the front page to indicate that people will need to reset their passwords
- Create an 'About our new Bugzilla' video as a part of our 'Intro to QA' series
- SUGGESTION: Use bugs.documentfoundation.org/ to host Bugzilla
- We can have both LibreOffice and some of the Document Liberation Project libraries all exist as top-level products in the bugtracker
- QUESTION: Should we refocus ourselves as the TDF QA Team (to cover LibreOffice, DLP, etc.. ?)
- ACTION: Send thank-yous to Xamarin and Michael's brother (Joel)
- July 30th: 712
- Today: 822
- Difference: 110
- ACTION: Joel will come up with strategies (bloggers? other marketing?) to get us under 500 UNCONFIRMED over the summer (by the end of August)
Regression watch (Bjoern)
- Regressions in 4.3 not in 4.2
- Previous Counts: 32, 37, 41, 46, 49
- Regressions in 4.2 not in 4.1
- Previous Counts: 65, 85, 99, 102, 107
- Query for bibisected regressions: Bibisected bugs
- Broken down by component and Severity
- Previous counts: 64, 81, 94, 95, 108, 129, 148
- ACTION: Joel will dig through bibisected and regressions confirmed bugs and prioritize according to flowchart
Topics for ESC?
Does anyone have any topics/concerns that I should bring to the Engineering Steering Committee (ESC)? (Robinson)
- Previous counts: 80+, 32, 32, 29, 23, 24
PENDING ITEM: Auto-updates for regular users and QA Testing
- ACTION: Investigate auto-updates for regular users and/or for QA/testing purposes (Robinson)
- ACTION: Open discussion again re:auto-update for QA on the mailing list (Robinson)
- Related: tdf#78592 - "LibreOffice-Installation enhancement/medium NEW UI: Provide RSS feed for torrent downloads" (Joel)
- PUNTED: Bring up proposal to use Mozilla updater tooling for LibreOffice (Robinson)
PENDING ITEM: Bugzilla Migration etc.
- ACTION: Organize time to stress-test new Bugzilla VM (Joel)
- ACTION: Make sure to suppress outgoing email during our testing of the test Bugzilla (Robinson)
- ACTION: Perhaps add Simple HTTP Auth (htaccess) control restricting access to https://bugzilla-test.documentfoundation.org/ (Robinson/Norbert)
- ACTION: Resolve url for hosting our Bugzilla instance (Joel)
- Deal with acronym if using tdf.org url (tdf# ?)
- ACTION: Set up call and/or thread(s) with the useful people on a mailing list (Robinson)
- May 22 - Started process
- June - Need to follow-up again with key people re: current progress (Robinson)
PENDING ITEM: Bibisect Repositories
- ACTION: Chat w/Bjoern, etc... re: updates to bibisect repos (Robinson)
- Propose docs on testing w/3.3.0 separately to place bugs in pre-LO category (Robinson)
- ACTION: Provide documentation for mac bibisect on wiki (Norbert)
- Perhaps ask Cloph for help re: Bibisect stuff, and keep Norbert's cycles free for Bugzilla migration
- IDEA: Add bibisect into regular Developer workflow
- IDEA: Create graph/tool to show which builds contain a given commit
PENDING ITEM: GUI for Bibisect
- ACTION: Review BibiGUI -- any
Windows/C#Python volunteer dev (Bjoern)
- June 19 - Joel may have found a volunteer?
- ACTION: Create
an EasyHacka bug for the process of rewriting the existing C# code in Python (or Java) (Florian R.)
- ACTION: Joel will poke the new guy again on email that showed up with dev experience
- ACTION: SI-GUI: Contact the people running "interesting" Windows tinderboxes and ask for their assistance (Florian R.)
PENDING ITEM: Hackfests
- ACTION: Check on status of LibreOffice building in the cloud for hackfests (Robinson)
- Included in the notes for hackfest planning
- Other Events: (School in Pennsylvania)?
PENDING ITEM: Whiteboard Naming Conventions
- ACTION: Update tags in the whiteboard to use 'wimpyCaps' (ALL)
- We had a discussion about filter:xxx, and not sure we found a perfect resolution...
- Also continue to clarify the use of capitals in the whiteboard, etc..
PENDING ITEM: Discuss usefulness of QA project in Redmine
PENDING ITEM: QA Budget
Some ideas for our possible QA Budget
- Host bibisect repo in the cloud -- use VNC to connect
- Testing builds in the cloud @ the Boston Hackfest -- good for 1-off testing, but slow for 10 bibisects in a row (Robinson)
- Perhaps a good target for onboarding (Bjoern)
- Makes things run very quickly, get people hooked
- We can spin-up a new machine for each person we're onboarding
- Daily builds (also in the cloud?)
- SDK tutorial?
- Get python community interested in LibreOffice
- Python IDE support for creating LibreOffice extensions?
- Can be beneficial for both communities
- Need to find someone in Python community to help move this forward
- Hackfest hardware
- Especially helpful when we don't have good bandwidth/stable connection
- Other items
- Crash reporter for Windows
- Moztrap improvements
- Ask sophie about a solid proposal for what could be done
- Native-lang BSA for more projects
- Biggest hurdle is getting native-lang communities to sign-up for long-term commitment to deal with bug reports (Robinson)
Long-term/Frozen Pending Items
These are long-term or frozen items (i.e. on ice until something else happens) that we don't want to forget about...
PENDING ITEM: MozTrap Localization
- ACTION: MozTrap translation (GUI and tests) continues to be high-priority for QA (Needs someone to shepherd)
- Other project who might want to work on translating GUI w/us?
PENDING ITEM: Feedback pages
- ACTION: Sophie will shepherd native-lang versions of Feedback page
- Next steps for NL versions (bug #?)
PENDING ITEM: US Merch Store
- (Future progress)
PENDING ITEM: Most Annoying Bug List
- ACTION: Joel will propose stricter guidelines for what qualifies as a MAB
- How is the test going? (using the 'Priority' field in Bugzilla)
MAB Tool- Server/service down for now
PENDING ITEM: Talk to CS Department/others at University
- ACTION: Put up a message on the message board at his University and see who is interested (Joel)
- Need to meet w/Charlie R. to talk with his Uni contacts as well
New Action Items
All items proposed between meetings go here
New Items (Proposed/Discussed at the Meeting)
NEW ITEM: description (your name)
Put meeting-adjourned time in the table
(Add topics below and reference them as #Example Topic in the Agenda/Minutes above)