QA/Meetings/2014/August 27

From The Document Foundation Wiki
< QA‎ | Meetings‎ | 2014
Jump to: navigation, search
Meeting of the QA Team

previous - next

Date and Time (UTC) 2014-08-27 17:30 UTC
G+ Hangout http://bit.ly/LibO_QA_call_hangout
Chair Robinson Tryon
Secretary Robinson Tryon
Started

17:32

Adjourned

18:06

Participants

colonelqubit (Robinson)
Sweetshark (Bjoern)
jphilipz (Jay Philips)
Liongold (Jean Spiteri)
Reisi007 (Florian Reisinger)

Pad http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/qa
Talkyoo Room Number 537138

Prep

Agenda + Minutes

Minutes:

Content from the meeting itself ("the minutes") will be displayed in blue boxes like this.

Before we Start

A few minutes before we officially start the call, we'll try to have a few people on hand to help assist newbies set up their teleconferencing gear, get things muted, and log on to all of our communication channels:


Start

Put start time and attendees list in the table


IRC Minutes

NOTE: We're trying something a bit different today -- we're going to have a much shorter meeting (15-30 min) in IRC.

We'll touch on a few metrics such as UNCONFIRMED bug count and regressions, and then we'll have each person in the meeting bring up whatever QA topics they'd like to address.

colonelqubit:



Quick QA Chat --- in 8 minutes


01:23:04 PM

colonelqubit: ...just a reminder :-)
...

START: 01:33:47 PM
colonelqubit: Okay all, time for a quick chat? 01:33:47 PM
Reisi007: colonelqubit: yep

UNCONFIRMED COUNT
colonelqubit: UNCONFIRMED bugs: 866
colonelqubit: That's up 44, not too bad
colonelqubit: We've got a QA 'LibreFest' bug triaging event planned for Oct 26th in Seattle, WA
colonelqubit: I'm hoping to put a serious dent in our UNCONFIRMED bugs at that point
colonelqubit: (and recruit for the QA Team)

Multimedia on OS X
colonelqubit: I've also been working on Multimedia this week
colonelqubit: Some of you have seen https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Media_Support
colonelqubit: jphilipz and others have done some great work testing out what works on different platforms
colonelqubit: tl;dr for Apple is that they're overhauling their media framework, so our existing QuickTime code is shifting to AVFramework
colonelqubit: that means that (for the moment) we may only support a few codecs on OS X 10.9+
Reisi007: colonelqubit: bad...
colonelqubit: Yep, it's really bad
Reisi007: Whats with VLC integration?
colonelqubit: VLC integration is a possibility, but there are several drawbacks
colonelqubit: Apparently one big hurdle is that to play frame 'n' of a video, you have to play frames 1...n-1
Reisi007: colonelqubit: ok, didn't know that
colonelqubit: I'm going to chat with meeks and then the VLC devs and see if there's a possibility of us working together to improve how we can use libvlc
Reisi007: +1


Regressions
colonelqubit: regression counts aren't too bad. Regressions in 4.3 not in 4.2 - 52, Regressions in 4.2 not in 4.1 - 104 (that went down!), Query for bibisected regressions: Bibisected bugs - 152


SI-GUI Rename
Reisi007: colonelqubit: I think I will rename SI-GUI
Reisi007: Needs icon and app name
Reisi007: If you have an idea
colonelqubit: I'll think about it
Reisi007: Or whom to talk to
colonelqubit: So it's a parallel installer/multi-installer, right?
Reisi007: colonelqubit: read the siri regression I mailed, or did I not CC you?
Reisi007: colonelqubit: yes "administrative installation" and downloader and manager
colonelqubit: Hmm
colonelqubit: Like a swiss army knife
jphilipz: LibreOffice Paralaller
colonelqubit: LibreOffice-Windows-Multitool
Reisi007: colonelqubit: naming rules
colonelqubit: hmm?
Reisi007: Somewhrer in wiki
Reisi007: " LibreOffice SI-GUI" is not allowed e.g.
colonelqubit: oh, 'cause it's not an official tool
colonelqubit: gotcha
colonelqubit: Something like "MultiOffice for Windows" ?
Reisi007: colonelqubit: MultiLibO 4 Windows
colonelqubit: is abbreviation okay?
Reisi007: (Downloads libreoffice only)
Reisi007: colonelqubit: the name must not dtart with LibO
Reisi007: Installer 4 LibreOffice is okay
Reisi007: imho
colonelqubit: Windows Toolbelt 4 LibreOffice
jphilipz: LibO Parallel Installer
jphilipz: LPI

  • Sweetshark reads backlog

colonelqubit: Let's see ... anything else I wanted to cover


NeedAdvice Bugs
colonelqubit: NeedAdvice bugs dropped to 22
colonelqubit: Aside from the multimedia stuff, anything else I should bring to the ESC?
colonelqubit: Reisi007: any other topics you'd like to bring up?


LibreOffice Conference - Bern
Reisi007: colonelqubit: nope. Maybe we will meet on Tue
Reisi007: How to organise things?
colonelqubit: Organize what things?
Reisi007: @LibOConf
Reisi007: Personal meeting on Tue
colonelqubit: Ah, okay
Reisi007: I arrive in the afternoon at the train station
jphilipz: please make sure that the talks are recorded, as i wont be able to make it :(
colonelqubit: I have a couple of meetings on Tuesday. I'll have email access at my room and the venue, so let's try email
colonelqubit: jphilipz: Yes, it sounds like we're going to try to record all of the talks
colonelqubit: jphilipz: Anything you want to bring up in this chat?
Reisi007: colonelqubit: i do not know, if i have wlan
jphilipz: i got accepted into TDF
jphilipz: :D

  • colonelqubit cheers

Sweetshark: \o/
Reisi007: I have Internet
Reisi007: jphilipz: great to hear
jphilipz: wonder if Liongold_away got his TDF membership approved
colonelqubit: Reisi007: okay, then let's coordinate over email
Reisi007: One thing from me
Reisi007: Wait a dec, need to look up something
colonelqubit: okay, while you're looking up stuff, anything from Sweetshark?


Siri Speech-to-text broken in LO 4.3
Reisi007: Fdo#81759
IZBot: LibreOffice-BASIC normal/medium NEW the Speech Editor Siri of MAC OS 10.9.4 does not work with Libreoffice 4.3.0.3 https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81759
Reisi007: this user tracked it down as " after bisect"
Reisi007: Means "between apha0 and rc4"
Reisi007: Can we do something to help him track it down more?
colonelqubit: Reisi007: well we can narrow it down to two builds
Reisi007: colonelqubit: no bisect in that period
colonelqubit: Right, but alpha0 - rc4 has a few builds in that range, right?
colonelqubit: So we can at least narrow-down to two of them


QA/CI Workshops
Sweetshark: colonelqubit: not really - mind is empty.

  • Sweetshark is preparing for talks in Bern

Sweetshark: hope to see you all in the QA and CI workshops in Bern!
Reisi007: Sweetshark: looking forward to it
Reisi007: Tue-Thr
jphilipz: Sweetshark: make sure they are recorded :)
Sweetshark: jphilipz: Ill do my best
jphilipz: Sweetshark: is your talk topics listed somewhere
Sweetshark: jphilipz: conference.libreoffice.org
Liongold_away: back
jphilipz: Sweetshark: okay which category
Liongold: jphilipz: Congrats on becoming a member of TDF. Yes, I was accepted in July
jphilipz: Liongold: thanks


Bugzilla Migration
colonelqubit: On my side, I'm going to do some testing of Bugzilla in preparation for our migration. I may ask for some help testing in the next couple of weeks.
Liongold: colonelqubit: If I can help with Bugzilla, please tell me
colonelqubit: Liongold: yes, definitely
colonelqubit: I said I'd keep this meeting short, so is there anything else?


Next Meeting
colonelqubit: Okay, thanks for the quick chat, folks. Our next meeting is tentatively scheduled for the same time in 2 weeks (Sept. 10th).
colonelqubit: Please post on the 'QA Call Time' thread your preferences for when to meet, even if you'd like to keep the same time. 02:06:52 PM
Sweetshark: colonelqubit: thanks for leading!

  • Sweetshark is off for the evening.
  • colonelqubit waves


END: 02:06:52 PM

The State of QA

Including any Opening Discussion

  • xx- Bugzilla migration
    • Updates...
    • Re: need to reset passwords
      • Email notification ahead of migration
      • Tweak the change-password page and the front page to indicate that people will need to reset their passwords
      • Create an 'About our new Bugzilla' video as a part of our 'Intro to QA' series
  • Bugzilla:
    • SUGGESTION: Use bugs.documentfoundation.org/ to host Bugzilla
    • We can have both LibreOffice and some of the Document Liberation Project libraries all exist as top-level products in the bugtracker
  • QUESTION: Should we refocus ourselves as the TDF QA Team (to cover LibreOffice, DLP, etc.. ?)
  • ACTION: Send thank-yous to Xamarin and Michael's brother (Joel)

weekly status

UNCONFIRMED Bugs

UNCONFIRMED bug count:

  • July 30th: 712
  • Today: 822
  • Difference: 110
  • ACTION: Joel will come up with strategies (bloggers? other marketing?) to get us under 500 UNCONFIRMED over the summer (by the end of August)

Regression watch (Bjoern)

  • ACTION: Joel will dig through bibisected and regressions confirmed bugs and prioritize according to flowchart

Topics for ESC?

Does anyone have any topics/concerns that I should bring to the Engineering Steering Committee (ESC)? (Robinson)

needAdvice Bugs

needAdvice bugs

  • Previous counts: 80+, 32, 32, 29, 23, 24

Pending Items

PENDING ITEM: Auto-updates for regular users and QA Testing

  • ACTION: Investigate auto-updates for regular users and/or for QA/testing purposes (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Open discussion again re:auto-update for QA on the mailing list (Robinson)
    • Related: tdf#78592 - "LibreOffice-Installation enhancement/medium NEW UI: Provide RSS feed for torrent downloads" (Joel)
  • PUNTED: Bring up proposal to use Mozilla updater tooling for LibreOffice (Robinson)

PENDING ITEM: Bugzilla Migration etc.

  • ACTION: Organize time to stress-test new Bugzilla VM (Joel)
  • ACTION: Make sure to suppress outgoing email during our testing of the test Bugzilla (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Perhaps add Simple HTTP Auth (htaccess) control restricting access to https://bugzilla-test.documentfoundation.org/ (Robinson/Norbert)
  • ACTION: Resolve url for hosting our Bugzilla instance (Joel)
    • Deal with acronym if using tdf.org url (tdf# ?)
  • ACTION: Set up call and/or thread(s) with the useful people on a mailing list (Robinson)
    • May 22 - Started process
    • June - Need to follow-up again with key people re: current progress (Robinson)

PENDING ITEM: Bibisect Repositories

  • ACTION: Chat w/Bjoern, etc... re: updates to bibisect repos (Robinson)
    • Propose docs on testing w/3.3.0 separately to place bugs in pre-LO category (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Provide documentation for mac bibisect on wiki (Norbert)
    • Perhaps ask Cloph for help re: Bibisect stuff, and keep Norbert's cycles free for Bugzilla migration

To review:

  • IDEA: Add bibisect into regular Developer workflow
  • IDEA: Create graph/tool to show which builds contain a given commit

PENDING ITEM: GUI for Bibisect

  • ACTION: Review BibiGUI -- any Windows/C# Python volunteer dev (Bjoern)
    • June 19 - Joel may have found a volunteer?
  • ACTION: Create an EasyHack a bug for the process of rewriting the existing C# code in Python (or Java) (Florian R.)
  • ACTION: Joel will poke the new guy again on email that showed up with dev experience

Related:

  • ACTION: SI-GUI: Contact the people running "interesting" Windows tinderboxes and ask for their assistance (Florian R.)

PENDING ITEM: Hackfests

  • ACTION: Check on status of LibreOffice building in the cloud for hackfests (Robinson)
    • Included in the notes for hackfest planning

Update on:

PENDING ITEM: Whiteboard Naming Conventions

  • ACTION: Update tags in the whiteboard to use 'wimpyCaps' (ALL)
    • We had a discussion about filter:xxx, and not sure we found a perfect resolution...
  • Also continue to clarify the use of capitals in the whiteboard, etc..

PENDING ITEM: Discuss usefulness of QA project in Redmine

PENDING ITEM: QA Budget

Some ideas for our possible QA Budget

  • Host bibisect repo in the cloud -- use VNC to connect
    • Testing builds in the cloud @ the Boston Hackfest -- good for 1-off testing, but slow for 10 bibisects in a row (Robinson)
    • Perhaps a good target for onboarding (Bjoern)
      • Makes things run very quickly, get people hooked
    • We can spin-up a new machine for each person we're onboarding
  • Daily builds (also in the cloud?)
  • SDK tutorial?
    • Get python community interested in LibreOffice
    • Python IDE support for creating LibreOffice extensions?
      • Can be beneficial for both communities
    • Need to find someone in Python community to help move this forward
  • Hackfest hardware
    • Especially helpful when we don't have good bandwidth/stable connection
  • Other items
    • Crash reporter for Windows
    • Moztrap improvements
      • Ask sophie about a solid proposal for what could be done
    • Native-lang BSA for more projects
      • Biggest hurdle is getting native-lang communities to sign-up for long-term commitment to deal with bug reports (Robinson)

Long-term/Frozen Pending Items

These are long-term or frozen items (i.e. on ice until something else happens) that we don't want to forget about...

PENDING ITEM: MozTrap Localization

  • ACTION: MozTrap translation (GUI and tests) continues to be high-priority for QA (Needs someone to shepherd)

To review:

  • Other project who might want to work on translating GUI w/us?

PENDING ITEM: Feedback pages

  • ACTION: Sophie will shepherd native-lang versions of Feedback page

To review:

  • Next steps for NL versions (bug #?)

PENDING ITEM: US Merch Store

  • (Future progress)

PENDING ITEM: Most Annoying Bug List

  • ACTION: Joel will propose stricter guidelines for what qualifies as a MAB

To review:

  • How is the test going? (using the 'Priority' field in Bugzilla)

References:

  • MAB Tool - Server/service down for now

PENDING ITEM: Talk to CS Department/others at University

  • ACTION: Put up a message on the message board at his University and see who is interested (Joel)
    • Need to meet w/Charlie R. to talk with his Uni contacts as well


New Action Items

All items proposed between meetings go here


New Items (Proposed/Discussed at the Meeting)

NEW ITEM: description (your name)

Announcements

End

Put meeting-adjourned time in the table

Topics

(Add topics below and reference them as #Example Topic in the Agenda/Minutes above)

Example Topic