QA/Meetings/2014/October 08

From The Document Foundation Wiki
< QA‎ | Meetings‎ | 2014
Jump to: navigation, search
Meeting of the QA Team

previous - next

Date and Time (UTC) 2014-10-08 17:30 UTC
G+ Hangout http://bit.ly/LibO_QA_call_hangout
Chair Robinson Tryon
Secretary Robinson Tryon
Started
Adjourned
Participants
Pad http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/qa
Talkyoo Room Number 537138

Prep

Agenda + Minutes

Minutes:

Content from the meeting itself ("the minutes") will be displayed in blue boxes like this.

Before we Start

A few minutes before we officially start the call, we'll try to have a few people on hand to help assist newbies set up their teleconferencing gear, get things muted, and log on to all of our communication channels:


Start

Put start time and attendees list in the table


IRC Minutes

NOTE: We're going to continue with our much shorter meetings (15-30 min). Having the meeting in IRC worked out well for the last two weeks, so we may try that again.

We'll touch on a few metrics such as UNCONFIRMED bug count and regressions, and then we'll have each person in the meeting bring up whatever QA topics they'd like to address.

Some people like the current call time on Wednesdays, but if there's enough interest in change, we'll do it.

Stats:

  • Bugs to discuss
    • tdf#82288 - deb / rpm master installation builds broken because of missing core05 package
    • tdf#81633 - Sorting shouldn't always automatically adjust references

Pending topics:

  • Multimedia in OS X
  • LibreFest Bug-Triaging event in Seattle - Advertising! Remote participation? Join us :-)
  • Bugzilla migration
  • Better docs for bug reporting/
  • New recruitment
    • Ideas?

colonelqubit: #startmeeting
IZBot: Meeting started Wed Oct 8 18:07:36 2014 UTC. The chair is colonelqubit. Plugin info at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
IZBot: Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.

  • ACTION: Robinson will send out an email to coordinate load-testing (aiming for Friday)
  • ACTION: Robinson: Chat with marketing about how we can more accurately convey what LibreOffice/TDF provides (and does not provide) in our builds; Clearer options for paid support?
  • ACTION: Robinson: See if there's already a projector in room 242 of the Communications Building


IZBot: Meeting ended Wed Oct 8 18:57:32 2014 UTC. (note: URLs not final)
IZBot: Minutes: http://pumbaa.documentfoundation.org/meetbot/libreoffice-qa/2014/libreoffice-qa.2014-10-08-18.07.html
IZBot: Minutes (text): http://pumbaa.documentfoundation.org/meetbot/libreoffice-qa/2014/libreoffice-qa.2014-10-08-18.07.txt
IZBot: Log: http://pumbaa.documentfoundation.org/meetbot/libreoffice-qa/2014/libreoffice-qa.2014-10-08-18.07.log.html

The State of QA

Including any Opening Discussion

  • xx- Bugzilla migration
    • Updates...
    • Re: need to reset passwords
      • Email notification ahead of migration
      • Tweak the change-password page and the front page to indicate that people will need to reset their passwords
      • Create an 'About our new Bugzilla' video as a part of our 'Intro to QA' series
  • Bugzilla:
    • SUGGESTION: Use bugs.documentfoundation.org/ to host Bugzilla
    • We can have both LibreOffice and some of the Document Liberation Project libraries all exist as top-level products in the bugtracker
  • QUESTION: Should we refocus ourselves as the TDF QA Team (to cover LibreOffice, DLP, etc.. ?)
  • ACTION: Send thank-yous to Xamarin and Michael's brother (Joel)

weekly status

Pending Items

PENDING ITEM: Auto-updates for regular users and QA Testing

  • ACTION: Investigate auto-updates for regular users and/or for QA/testing purposes (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Open discussion again re:auto-update for QA on the mailing list (Robinson)
    • Related: tdf#78592 - "LibreOffice-Installation enhancement/medium NEW UI: Provide RSS feed for torrent downloads" (Joel)
  • PUNTED: Bring up proposal to use Mozilla updater tooling for LibreOffice (Robinson)

PENDING ITEM: Bugzilla Migration etc.

  • ACTION: Organize time to stress-test new Bugzilla VM (Joel)
  • ACTION: Make sure to suppress outgoing email during our testing of the test Bugzilla (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Perhaps add Simple HTTP Auth (htaccess) control restricting access to https://bugzilla-test.documentfoundation.org/ (Robinson/Norbert)
  • ACTION: Resolve url for hosting our Bugzilla instance (Joel)
    • Deal with acronym if using tdf.org url (tdf# ?)
  • ACTION: Set up call and/or thread(s) with the useful people on a mailing list (Robinson)
    • May 22 - Started process
    • June - Need to follow-up again with key people re: current progress (Robinson)

PENDING ITEM: Bibisect Repositories

  • ACTION: Chat w/Bjoern, etc... re: updates to bibisect repos (Robinson)
    • Propose docs on testing w/3.3.0 separately to place bugs in pre-LO category (Robinson)
  • ACTION: Provide documentation for mac bibisect on wiki (Norbert)
    • Perhaps ask Cloph for help re: Bibisect stuff, and keep Norbert's cycles free for Bugzilla migration

To review:

  • IDEA: Add bibisect into regular Developer workflow
  • IDEA: Create graph/tool to show which builds contain a given commit

PENDING ITEM: GUI for Bibisect

  • ACTION: Review BibiGUI -- any Windows/C# Python volunteer dev (Bjoern)
    • June 19 - Joel may have found a volunteer?
  • ACTION: Create an EasyHack a bug for the process of rewriting the existing C# code in Python (or Java) (Florian R.)
  • ACTION: Joel will poke the new guy again on email that showed up with dev experience

Related:

  • ACTION: SI-GUI: Contact the people running "interesting" Windows tinderboxes and ask for their assistance (Florian R.)

PENDING ITEM: Hackfests

  • ACTION: Check on status of LibreOffice building in the cloud for hackfests (Robinson)
    • Included in the notes for hackfest planning

Update on:

PENDING ITEM: Whiteboard Naming Conventions

  • ACTION: Update tags in the whiteboard to use 'wimpyCaps' (ALL)
    • We had a discussion about filter:xxx, and not sure we found a perfect resolution...
  • Also continue to clarify the use of capitals in the whiteboard, etc..

PENDING ITEM: Discuss usefulness of QA project in Redmine

PENDING ITEM: QA Budget

Some ideas for our possible QA Budget

  • Host bibisect repo in the cloud -- use VNC to connect
    • Testing builds in the cloud @ the Boston Hackfest -- good for 1-off testing, but slow for 10 bibisects in a row (Robinson)
    • Perhaps a good target for onboarding (Bjoern)
      • Makes things run very quickly, get people hooked
    • We can spin-up a new machine for each person we're onboarding
  • Daily builds (also in the cloud?)
  • SDK tutorial?
    • Get python community interested in LibreOffice
    • Python IDE support for creating LibreOffice extensions?
      • Can be beneficial for both communities
    • Need to find someone in Python community to help move this forward
  • Hackfest hardware
    • Especially helpful when we don't have good bandwidth/stable connection
  • Other items
    • Crash reporter for Windows
    • Moztrap improvements
      • Ask sophie about a solid proposal for what could be done
    • Native-lang BSA for more projects
      • Biggest hurdle is getting native-lang communities to sign-up for long-term commitment to deal with bug reports (Robinson)

Long-term/Frozen Pending Items

These are long-term or frozen items (i.e. on ice until something else happens) that we don't want to forget about...

PENDING ITEM: MozTrap Localization

  • ACTION: MozTrap translation (GUI and tests) continues to be high-priority for QA (Needs someone to shepherd)

To review:

  • Other project who might want to work on translating GUI w/us?

PENDING ITEM: Feedback pages

  • ACTION: Sophie will shepherd native-lang versions of Feedback page

To review:

  • Next steps for NL versions (bug #?)

PENDING ITEM: US Merch Store

  • (Future progress)

PENDING ITEM: Most Annoying Bug List

  • ACTION: Joel will propose stricter guidelines for what qualifies as a MAB

To review:

  • How is the test going? (using the 'Priority' field in Bugzilla)

References:

  • MAB Tool - Server/service down for now

PENDING ITEM: Talk to CS Department/others at University

  • ACTION: Put up a message on the message board at his University and see who is interested (Joel)
    • Need to meet w/Charlie R. to talk with his Uni contacts as well


New Action Items

All items proposed between meetings go here


New Items (Proposed/Discussed at the Meeting)

NEW ITEM: description (your name)

Announcements

End

Put meeting-adjourned time in the table

Topics

(Add topics below and reference them as #Example Topic in the Agenda/Minutes above)

Example Topic